Amlogic S905X4

4K Ultra HD — 25Mbps that’s for Netflix or Amazon Prime Video (dedicated apps) - and I remember 4k streaming on those platforms its still a dream on Kodi and jEOS like Coreelec.
4k rips need gigabit lan, maybe mounting NFS shares to go along with so much bitrate.

It is going to be some of an experiment then. :smiley:
Maybe my older Synology DS412Play NAS will be the bottleneck

If it won’t work, Maybe I am going to donate the box to the CoreElec team for developing a CoreElec build based on the S905X4 :smiley:

I believe the box its useless for Netflix and Amazon Prime 4k - not even HD streaming possible, see here: A95X - F4. With an heavily modified apk you could touch 1080p in Netflix…
Its tablet Android OS not ATV, don’t think has level 1 Google hw DRM implemented.
Should you run some tests to see how AV1 decoding is working. In Android, ofc.

So please do you have a recommendation for a 4k UHD TV Box?
Looking for a good one to connect to my Samsung LSP9T projector

I use Odroid C4 after few years with S905X chinese box (useless with android but good with LE/CE). That’s for non-DRM stuff, for streaming I use MiBox S with ATV.

Don’t know what you need, maybe here you will find some answers: media players and 4k HDR.
Read carefully and choose your tool wisely

1 Like

any news on a new odroid board using an S905X4 chip?

Don’t know what news or rumors were in the air but if you look at the latest Odroid SBC - the HC4, made of S905X3, with this chipset shortage I wont be so thrilled about a release with S905X4, besides AV1 hw codec, nothing new. Odroid C2 (discontinnued) will be resupplied at the end of May so… Who knows, maybe they will switch to S905X4 for C4 if it is valuable.

X4 boxes are available, for example: https://a.aliexpress.com/_ugQFqR

my Mecool KM6 Deluxe (s905x4) box arrived today - I am a long time CoreElec user/lover but this time simply cannot figure out which DTB to your for the S905X4 chipset in this box :frowning:

Doing clean-install with Kodi 19RC1

CE has no support for s905x4 yet.

2 Likes

Hi,
Do you have a roadmap for supporting the Amlogic S905X4? Any idea on the release date?
Do you think it’s better to buy S905X3 or S905X4 and wait a bit?
Thank you for everything

1 Like

None.

• We don’t have access to the latest kernel (with proper git history) yet.
  • None of us have S905X4 devices.
  • None of the vendors we work with have mentioned S905X4 to us yet.

So you can take what you will from this.
At this point, the only major potential benefit you will get from the x4 is hardware support for AV1, which isn’t widely used yet. So I don’t see why there’s such a rush to run out and buy it just yet if you plan to run CE on it.

5 Likes

Potentially interesting Ugoos AM7 box in the offing.

4Gb DDR4
WiFi 6 MIMO
BT 5
3 x USB 3.0
USB 2.0
USB-C OTG
Android 11

2 Likes

Is it a good idea to try to flash S905X3 firmware to the box which have S905X4 chip?

No, it isn’t.

Thank you.

I have firmware from my toaster maybe this can be flashed to S905X4 chip?

3 Likes

Yes, I also think it’s too early to work on a s905x4 compatible version, as it’s only been a year since this model was released. We should wait around 5 or 6 years for it to become RETRO before, so don’t need to do anything. Also this expensive gear never get users.

2 Likes

Perhaps you could arrange for some products to be given to the team so that they can develop a compatible version as this would be a valid requirement.

1 Like

someone organizes to ship in https://shopee.com.br/product/205825665/9858836548?smtt=0.510520306-1629854958.9 for the developers, I could be contributing