Amlogic S928X

It is 32 bit.

what kernel version on android?

Kernel 5.4.210
Android 11

1 Like

So, everything is now only 32 bit with amlogic and DV (x-j). Full Rank Chart | TV Box Stop. This kernel 5.4 sounds, that this box is with DV only for edition of coreelec based on amlogic-ne.

Is it though? The 922x has more big cores and rips apart the s928x for processing power.

2x improvement in CPU and nearly 3x in the GPU.

What’s the source for that? Not trying to be confrontational, but the hardware specs don’t add up to those assertions.

You can briefly review it here.

Thanks. Not seeing 2x CPU performance or 3x GPU performance over the S922x. Nowhere near. In fact it loses out in multi core CPU tests to the 922x. The only evolution is AV1. Id happily adopt it if support was there and things worked well, but it’s not a massive jump in performance, in some cases not at all.

I sort of doubt the am8 pro would only have a 32-bit arm 7 build, especially given they have variants with 8GB RAM (last I checked the 4GB limit still applies, especially per process limit that is).

Also that’s the S928X on that bench. Wonder if the s928x-j would be different. For instance the 922X-J had higher clocks over the non-J version…

Ugoos is nice enough to sell you more ram that you can’t use.

I don’t think that the S928X-J is going to be visibly faster for most cases and the 32bit dovi.ko is going to pose challenges.

This is great news, but it’s going to take significant development until it matches the capabilities of the S922X-J if it ever does.

CoreELEC-ne is 64bit and there are enough dovi.ko modules “in the wild” to make DV working. Let’s see what the approach will be. The big question is FEL support but first everything as to run nicely with this setup.

3 Likes

Some good news

AV1 support is the reason why I would go for this box. Film grain synthesis works wonders even if the encoder itself tends to smooth the image a bit too much.

I can confirm that it is 32 bit arm7

I believe its the amlogic s928x-j that is being discussed here, nothing else. It would be cool to be able to use the 8gb ram, even if not necessary. Besides AV1, if it does bring VS12, well, that could be quite something I’d say.

How smart is it to already buy a am8 pro and wait for CE support? I can buy it for 50% cheaper on the second hand market.

I think soon the price will go up :rofl:

1 Like

would you please send me the link that sells for 50% cheaper?

So, no dice on the Dovi file evidently