Amlogic S928X

is this meaning no CE on S928X anymore?

No and please be patient. There’s a reason why things take time.

2 Likes

That response just means that things need to go “the official” way if I’m not mistaken. And that’s not bad, it ensures that there will be no legal issues or something like that later on.

Worth a shot, thank you for checking

1 Like

Keep in mind that the AM6B+ and similar devices eventually got the 64-bit armv8a support without needing a separate armv7 32-bit build because someone stumbled upon a dovi.ko module from an entirely different model that just so happened to work with the S922X-J SoCs.

So just because Amlogic isn’t willing to distribute the file to individuals doesn’t necessarily mean all that much.

This question about dovi is more on ugoos, becasuse they know pair of android and ce in case of dualboot in their firmware of device.

You can look at the ANTUTU score to see the performance of the S928X over the S922X.

3 Likes

The s928x has a 20-25% increase in single core performance, but the s922x has a 10-15% better multi-core performance.

(Amlogic S922X vs Amlogic S928X)

AndroidTVPC also posted benchmarks recently

(Amlogic S928X. Review and Comparison VS all SoCs)

It’s not about Antutu score differences and benchmarks that in day to day use are meaningless and can’t even be noticed. Much more important is the AV1 and VS12 engine support that make it a future proof device.

What’s the improvement in the VS12 over VS10 engine? Does the s905x4 use DoVi VS12? I know the A311D2 does.

1 Like

120hz Dolby Vision for one thing

Any content at that?

No obviously not i just use it because the UI is twice as snappy and crisp

Is VS short for Visual Studio? Where does one generally see that (VS10/12) information in Kodi?

Yeah I don’t know, there’s little information about the specifics of VS10/VS12. Some devices label their dovi.ko with a vs10 and vs12 prefix, that’s how I know the s922x uses VS10 and the A311D2 used VS12.

When Dolby Vision always on is enabled in Android it’s using VS10/VS12 to do that SDR->DoVi conversion. I’ve never seen anyone do a comparison between the two to know what’s been added.

1 Like

No, it’s the chroma upscaling engine built into the dolby vision module. SDR or HDR → DV output. VS10 can be enabled on S922XJ with a custom CE build.
More info here:

On VS10, the SDR → DV conversion is average, but HDR → DV is quite good and approximates native DV well from testing. The updated VS12 chroma engine is on S928X family devices so eager to compare and see the improvements.

Which device with this chip does support DV?

Is it safe to assume that if CE comes to a device with S928XJ, it will work in all devices that have the same SOC? I ask because, unlike with the old S922XJ, there are several brands, with very different prices, selling devices with the S928XJ. Additionally, would CE be able to take advantage of the 8GB Ram of these devices or is it limited to 4GB?

There are S922-J SoC’s that have locked bootloaders that can’t run CE so it is pretty safe to say you can’t assume anything.

Which box with a S922XJ doesn’t run CE? Brand? Model?