Amlogic S928X

My TV is LG OLED C3 series. In the spec I’ve found this:
HDR (High Dynamic Range): Dolby Vision / HDR10 / HLG. So I think, it does support DV RGB.

I tried the method that Sholander wrote about - removed the CE microSD card for a while and booted the box in Android mode. Here I looked for HDR in the settings and found this: Device Preferences->Display & Sound->Screen resolution->HDR policy. I changed this entry from ‘Always HDR’ to ‘Adaptive HDR’. I started CE again and my problem disappeared. Splash screen is displayed correctly.

Does this mean that after a reboot the Android initialises the graphic chip with its settings and then, the CE enters its own settings?

P.S.
I don’t know if it matters - my X96 X10 is connected over HDMI to a Denon AVC-X4700 receiver, and then the Denon connects to the TV over ARC HDMI. The receiver has the video section switched off, only passing through the signal to the TV.

Robert

Are there any reviews for the X96 X10 with CE?

I’ve read the 8GB version is called the Pro version and if you are wanting DV, that is the version to get (not the 4GB version).

Although it is a recommended media player, the reviews are minimal. I watched a bad Chinese dub and a poorly written article saying “A Box that considerably lowers the value we noticed for the UGOOS AM8” but with no clarification. Also saw a 1 star in Amazon but again no explanation. Some say it over heats and others it doesn’t.

If someone is using this with CE, please comment on your experience.

I have an Odrod N2+ and have now bought for another room, as an experiment, the X96 X10 4GB. The name on the case is X96 X10 Pro, but it has 4 GB of RAM. I don’t see anything wrong with the X96. There are no special differences between the N2+ and X10 in terms of speed, video quality etc. The X10 does not have a RESET button on the case (or I can’t find one). As for the temperature, after installing coreelec, in standby mode the X10 is 40 degrees Celsius (and the N2+ is 36 degrees) - so there is no drama. Putting your hand on the case you can feel that it is warm, but it is not hot. Playing a 4k video raised the temperature by a few degrees (I can check exactly this evening). The device is decently made, holding it in your hand you feel that the case is made of a lot of metal, it is heavy. I don’t use the remote because I have a Logitech Harmony, but comparing it to other cheap remotes, the X96 remote looks really good. It also has a VFD that you can run in coreelec. The X10 is well priced - I bought it cheaper than the Odroid N2+ a few years ago. So far, I can say the X10 quite good box. It only draws about 5W when operating, I’ll verify this tonight if you want.

Robert

1 Like

Again, if DV is what you’re after, what you want is a device with Amlogic S922xj, nothing else.

DV works on many different SoC’s, even FEL is not limited to S922XJ anymore if you use the NG kernel (CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)).

Can it play DV?

As I wrote, I own two players: the Odroid N2+ and the X96 X10. I played some videos from https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples → ‘4K (UltraHD) Formats’ section → items 12 to 22 (except for 19 - the link doesn’t work, while from link 22 the first five examples do). Results:
Odroid N2+: 12-17 ok, 18-22 can play, but colours are broken.
X10: 12-14 and 17-22 ok, 15 and 16 black screen, sound ok.

As you can see, every box has some DV issues. The player built into the TV played all the samples correctly - so you can always use the TV if your CE box fails. But so far, all the videos (BR and DVD rips, Gopro and DJI footage) I’ve watched through the N2+ and X10 have played without issue.

I also checked the X10 power consumption: 4k playing 5…7W, deep standby 1.8W.

Regards!
Robert

1 Like

FEL potentially coming to S928X in October via new dovi.ko? Not clear on how FEL works in Android, or if the new dovi.ko can be extracted from Android to use in other CE or other S928X boxes.

I saw this post on Minix forum on their U8K thread which has S928X:

It says they fought for this implying that someone relented and allowed a patch that will restore FEL.

6 Likes

DV FEL is on S922XJ, if you wanna get one of the others you mentioned and then the ethernet doesn’t work or something else, well, have fun!

1 Like

Yep, probably the same FEL that you get on Dune devices lol.

FEL played as MEL/P8 already works on S928X today

They’re implying that it will be patched to fully work

Very interesting that your 4GB version is the Pro version. I do wonder then how one discerns when ordering which is Pro vs non-pro.

I bought my player from a well-known Chinese portal. The description said ‘X96 X10 Amlogic S928X-J’. The CPU in the X-J version used to mean the Pro version, but this manufacturer now only offers only one version of the X10 player, which includes the S928X-J CPU and either 4GB or 8GB RAM. It is difficult to check what a CPU is really inside. There don’t seem to be any tools to verify it clearly, e.g. via SSH. Even if you remove the heatsink off the CPU and check the text on the chip, that could be a fake too.

1 Like

Well if it plays DV files it’s the -J soc. That’s it. The “final” test

1 Like

What if it some DV files plays and some do don’t? See my post from yesterday.

If they play as DV files it’s the S928X-J. After that there’s some configuration or file problem. I have to check what you’ve posted

Can any other S928X user confirm my AV1 decoding findings from yesterday?

Frankly, I’m not surprised. I’m sure that the fact that FEL was behind a software lock probably infuriated a few manufacturers. Why would people pay companies such as Zidoo or Minix hundreds if you could get FEL support on a $60 - $90 device. On the other side, Dolby probably saw that their revenue from licensing would decline. Allowing FEL support for the S928X probably made financial sense from all sides.

Can you post a link to the thread?

this is for minix neo u8k ultra, has s928-k soc

1 Like

Installed it to eMMC with the ceemmc -x yesterday and everything went smoothly on my am8pro :slight_smile:

It boots a little bit faster I think.

Not sure if the interface loads movie posters faster or not

But everything works nicely

2 Likes