Amlogic S928X

We are excitedly waiting for good news from the CE team for AM8. :grinning:

1 Like

And we are waiting for good news from Amlogic/Vendors.

3 Likes

I just received an X96 X10 with S928X today. 114.97€ 31% OFF|X96 x10 amlogic s928x tv box 8gb ram 64gb rom unterstützung 8k usb 3,0 wifi6 bt1000m lan google sprach eingang set top box media player| | - AliExpress

It comes with Android TvOS 11, has superuser access. Installing Kodi 20.2 on it, seems to have no problems with H.264 or H.265 3840x2160 @60fps. Audio passthru doesn’t work for Dolby TrueHD at all, and DTS-HD always passes thru only the DTS core. The Android settings menu also doesn’t allow manually selecting audio formats. The Kodi audio packer doesn’t offer the option of TrueHD. The raw Android packer does, but none of the audio formats work with the Android packer at all.

The box is supposed to come with 8GB of RAM. That might actually be true (Developer Options shows 8GB present) but since the OS is only 32bit, only 4GB are actually usable by any apps. This is a really half-baked system still. Note the kernel is 64bit.

The firmware it shipped with was dated mid-July; there was an OTA update from mid-October which I immediately installed on first bootup. No idea what changed between the two.

For now it seems my Beelink GT-King running CoreElec is still the most capable box I have. I also used a H96 Max RK3588 box, which handled all audio formats correctly, but its H.265 decoder is buggy and was always glitching/looping. Also the box overheated and died after several months. I’ve since tried two other RK3588 devices - NanoPC T6 and Liontron D3588, and both their Linux and Android images have trouble decoding 4K H.265. I had hoped that since the GT-King’s S922x was working so well, the S928x would also be better. At least in the video department, it is better, but without proper audio passthru to my AVR I’m still disappointed. Also, audio sync is poor on this S928x; I’ve seen it over 7 seconds ahead or behind the video with EAC3 passthru.

I’m hoping there’ll be a proper 64 bit userland for this box soon, with fully working HDMI audio, at least.

1 Like

But 8gb is good as it should force Amlogic to release a arm64 kernel. We have seen yet only arm Android images what is a problem as dovi.ko will be also only arm

1 Like

I was mistaken above - the kernel is actually 64bit, as it would have to be, to see 8GB of RAM. /proc/meminfo also shows 8GB present. And /vendor/lib/modules/mali.ko is definitely a 64bit module, as are all the other AMlogic-specific driver modules.

Btw it’s a 5.4.215 kernel.

But only 32bit app can be installed.

doopoo X3 S928X-K support dovi
http://www.doopoodigital.com.cn/

Do you have a link to that device?

Sorry, there is no link right now

According to this article, that box will be announced next week, November 23. 应时代而生,多珀doopoo X3 凭什么在这个时候闯入市场?

That device sounds fantastic, but also sounds very expensive… Thanks and keep us updated.
I have heard a lot about OPPO media players, but never had possession of one.

1 Like

Looks like this is the actual OEM of the S928X box I have. Strange that early announcements said it would ship with Android 13, but it only comes with Android 11. https://m.globalsources.com/Android-based/android-TV-box-1209242648p.htm

I might try to get a decent RK3588 box again, since that at least has working audio with Android 12. Amlogic’s “openlinux” site still has no info on a newer software rev for S928x.
http://openlinux.amlogic.com/mw/index.php?title=Android_SDK_release

1 Like

I’ll repeat myself, keep the subject CoreELEC related as much as you can, please. Otherwise this will be closed.

Sorry if that seemed to be a digression. I thought that showing the state of Amlogic’s SDKs for s928x would be useful info. Also showing the price of a commonly available s928x tvbox other than the Ugoos AM8. With 8GB RAM, and going for $99, I’d be willing to donate one if a CoreElec dev wanted to tinker with it.

I really won’t be discussing this, if I had thought that you went too far I would have done something with your post. Everything stays exactly the same.

We already have 2 devices but still waiting for crucial software part to get from someone.

Does Ugoos AM8 support Dolby Vision, Dolby Audio or this is a false advertising on AliExpress Ugoos AM8

It does, tested with Kodi. No issues.

Hi. Can CE be installed on Ugoos AM8 or still work in progress? Thanks

Until we get correct crucial part of software the support is on hold.

1 Like