Amlogic S928X

I encountered a black screen issue (in stdv mode,green in lldv mode) while testing P7 FEL DolbyVision on Tencent Aurora Box 5x. The logcat revealed error messages, including StreamHAL: Error from HAL stream in function get_render_position: Unknown error -3 and AMDV ERROR: control_path(0/-1, 0) failed -2. But the problem doesn’t occur in P7 MEL. I suspect it might be an issue with the Amlogic SDK. Does the AM8 also behave like this?

Interestingly, I noticed that the built-in media center decode with OMX.amlogic.hevc.decoder.awesome2 instead of OMX.amlogic.dolby-vision.dvhe.decoder.awesome2 when playing P7 DolbyVision. It seems to leverage VS12, enforcing DolbyVision output intentionally.

Test Video:
P7 FEL
P7 MEL

Both videos play smoothly with kodi on Am8.P7 FEL DV and DTS

I did a bit of research to compile it but I couldn’t do it. Could you please compile it for CE?
AM8 Android DTB file
dtb.img.gz (210.5 KB)

You don’t understand why this is not working already?

Why shouldn’t I understand .I know, but I’m trying to learn something.
I’m retired and have a lot of free time.
I want to deal with my own level of knowledge.
Nobody has to give anything, I just asked.

there is a vital software component that is not available to the dev’s to compile how they need it for ce to work, they are hoping one of the vendors can get it compiled by amlogic and then should be good to go

1 Like

Hi I’m thinking of purchasing UGOOS AM8 TV BOX Android 11.0 Amlogic S928X-J LPDDR4 does it coreelec and is it dv, hlg ect

read the thread

2 Likes

For now my X96 X10 is unplugged and unused. Without proper HDMI audio passthru support it’s kind of pointless, and even for the audio formats it actually supports, audio sync is always several (random) seconds off from the video. Back to just using CoreElec on my S922X Beelink GT-King. I suppose at some point I might try to grab the /vendor libraries from the Android 11 image and try to build Android 12 around it. An experiment for the holidays maybe.

That’s why I didn’t bother getting one myself,once the support is there il get 1

• The media player supports direct playback of Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL double-track and double-layer files. This is the most advanced Dolby Vision format. The media player plays video in this format using both tracks/layers. The important Dolby Vision information from the second track/layer (Dolby Vision RPU metadata) is transmitted to TV together with video data from the first track/layer. The passed video data uses 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs, i.e. this fully uses the capabilities of OLED TVs. Combined with the full use of Dolby Vision metadata this gives an excellent Dolby Vision picture on the TV screen.”

• So is this is the same ”conversion on the fly” as previous s904x model ?

The wording is verbatium.

Amusing misspelling

1 Like

What will it take to determine if the S928X-J properly supports TV-led Dolby Vision (unlike the S905X4, which just RGB tunnels LLDV)?

1 Like

:rofl: I am sorry but you are completely wrong.
It depends on the TV if it support LLDV, not the SoC.

RGB DV is the standard and supported by all DV TVs.
Amlogic support both modes since day one. You just need to enable LLDV as RGB is the default and better choice. When LLDV is supported by your TV at all…

1 Like

Same fake TV-Led mode as S905X4, I tested.

but "use player led"option is disabled in default.
Should we enable it?

Hi! I wish you all a happy new year. Hoping that 2024 will be the year of union between CE and S928x. But even more, in the hope that our world calms down quickly. Happy New Year 2024 to the CE community.

2 Likes

X96 X10 already has a new version, the CPU is S928X-J

1 Like