Any news on the S922X/2GB device for €55?

But if they ship with DHL/FEDEX/TNT count 22% VAT plus duty fee plus courier duty extra, roughly other 30€…
And it is for a box with no remote neither wifi/bt

This seems like the best deal for us in Europe:

https://www.antratek.com/odroid-n2-amlogic-s922x-sbc-with-2gb-ram

Still not cheap at €92.55

Shoog

Sure, my point was just about the 41 usd flat shipping fee that was mentioned which isn’t correct.

I agree that if HK want to sell these things like hot cakes they have to find a solution that doesn’t involve giving as much money as the product’s cost in fees to third parties.

I’m also passing for now.

Whenever I’ve looked at Odroid devices I’ve come away thinking the hardware and support is good but the pricing isn’t transparent. The headline price out of a factory 5000 miles away is irrelevant to me. That will always put me off.
The uk supplier’s price for an N2 kit looks pretty good - I’d guess it would be cheaper to buy an N2 kit that way, plus you have more protection.

CE Team: Can you convince Hardkernel to also do an EMMC version with CE pre-installed, instead of the SD card?

The idea around the current package was to keep the price as low as possible.

You could add an eMMC to your order and still pay less than ordering all of the items individually.

41€ cost to ship to Spain is like banning to Spaniards. And they’ve no guarantee to have additional costs. Is Hardkernel kidding us?

As an Importer the responsibility for Customs is yours and not Hardkernels.

The cost saving with the CoreELEC package is likely to offset any customs charge that you may receive.

You can also order from a local distributor as the CoreELEC package should be available with them.

If I have done my calculations correctly then this should hopefully be a reasonable comparison for ordering the 2Gb model from each of the 3 names vendors for UK users.

Users in other nations across the globe will of course have less tax burden and lower delivery costs and therefore the Hardkernel option will be of a greater advantage.

2Gb bundle shipped to Mainland UK (NI, Channel Islands and others may incur additional delivery charges)

Hardkernel direct

N2 Deal - £53.19
Mainland Shipping - £20.24
20% VAT - £14.69

Total - £88.12

However, the courier is quite likely to add their own charge, which is typically around £10, so factoring that we are looking at around £98.

Alternative from Odroid UK

N2 (inc power supply 12v/1.5a) - £69.92
Case - £5.98
Storage, there is no 8Gb SD card option, so substitute for 8Gb eMMC - £17.97 (Note that 16Gb is only £19.97, so makes sense to go for this instead.
Delivery £4.80 First Class Signed for (Optional £8.49 for Express courier)

Total - £100.67

Second alternative from EU Antratek

N2 Bundle inc box, 12v/2aac (EU plug only) and case - £59.04
16GB INDUSTRIAL MICROSD UHS-1 WITH LINUX FOR N2 - No 8Gb available - £18.17
Courier - £9.08

Total excluding tax £86.29
Total inc tax - £104.41

Advantages/distadvantages of each

Direct from Hardkernel

Advantage

12v/2a ac with UK plug an option
Coreelec sticker
Possibly the cheapest if you avoid the carrier charge but is a risk to be factored

Disadvantage

Will likely end up being £10 more
If it’s faulty then return could be slow and expensive
All buyer protection provided only by your chosen payment method

From Odroid UK

Advantage

16Gb eMMC much faster and more desirable option, including double the capacity of the Hardkernel offer
Cost still competitive with little in the way of difference
Local delivery, so a couple of days max
All VAT and charges included, so no nasty surprises
All UK/EU buyer protections included, as well as those offered by payment method.
Returns are much easier and local (Wolverhampton)
Cheaper than EU supplier

Disadvantages

Slightly more expensive than Hardkernel (even though better value with eMMC)
12v/1.5a ac, which some folk don’t want
No Coreelec sticker

Direct from from EU Antratek

Advantages

Full EU protection
Returns would be easier than from Hardkernel
12v/2a ac

Disadvantages

AC is EU plug only, so additional adapter/converter required (£1 at Poundland)
Delivery from Europe is still not as convenient as from within the UK
16Gb SD card is still not as desirable as 16Gb eMMC
No Coreelec sticker
Most expensive option

Sidenote - I don’t know if the RTC battery backup is provided by default for any of the deals and it seems advantageous to have the eMMC Module Reader Board for OS upgrade, so may be worth factoring in as an additional cost.

Pros and cons to each but food for thought when making your decision.

2 Likes

Antratek seems to be the cheapest/best option for me because I don’t need/want an SD.

Just worth adding that delivery direct from HK is via DHL with an estimated delivery schedule of 2 working days.

My last shipment from them was sent on a Friday and I had it delivered the following Monday.

I’ll take that disadvantage out then based upon your experience with HK.

My experience with the likes of Gearbest and Geekbuying from that region is usually a few days longer via DHL.

Gearbest and Geekbuying are China based.

Hardkernel is based in South Korea.

Both are generally considered to be in the same basic Geographic Region and some of their products are distributed outside of Chine from locations such as Hong Kong and Singapore.

I would have to disagree, delivery was actually quicker than what I first posted.

I have had to wait longer for deliveries sent locally, never mind internationally.

Whilst some people may complain or begrudge the fact that the delivery price is high then I would just say you are guaranteed that you will not be waiting 3-4 weeks like you would with any device from China via Gearbest or Geekbuying, you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

RTC backup battery is not included in the package and having eMMC card reader is definately a good item to have if you use eMMC, but can manage OS update if one is familar with a couple of linux commands.

ODROID-UK(Lilliput) and Pollin(Germany) will start to sell the CE-Edition packages within 1~2 weeks.

4 Likes

That is good news.
It will make things much simpler from an importation point of view for those within the EU.

Further update from Hardkernel, we have fed some of the forum feedback to them and shipping to most EU countries has now been reduced from $41 to $22 giving you even further savings.

Would love to get one, but just can’t stomach $28USD to ship to Australia. That’s $42 AUD. From Korea…I’ve paid $10-$15 AUD shipping for gear from the UK, which is a lot further!

Sorry, I’d be happy to support the project but that’s just ridiculous for shipping.