Benefits of an upgrade over a S912

Use forum search!!!

Dolby vision is licensed and not supported by open source.

You just wasted a post.

Question only for people who are interested in discussion. How khadas VIM3 compares to Odroid N2?

Not really a wasted post. All information is out there if you search the forums or Google. Itā€™s really not that difficult but since you seem intent to get a reply here please see below.

I have a Khadas VIM3 and the A311D is a modified version of the S922 revision B with the only real difference being the AI processor. This will make no difference when using with Coreelec.

If you get the Khadas case for the board then I would advise buying the heatsink that goes with the case since it makes a big difference. The heatsink is good but not as good as the one on the N2. The other option which I use is the KKSB case for the VIM3 where the whole case is made from aluminium and cools the board very well.

Coreelec runs great on the device but there is no dolby vision. HDR and HDR10 work perfectly and resolution switching also works.

The advantage of the VIM3 is you get onboard WiFi and internal storage which are extras you have to purchase if needed for the N2. The easiest way to install Coreelec is to install on a micro SD card and run the ceemmc command to install onto the internal storage. You will need to put the Khadas board into upgrade mode to run from the SD card first, then SSH into the board to run the command. Finally you will need to upload your remote files if using the Khadas IR remote. All this info is available on the forum if you need more detail so please search.

1 Like

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. The argument was if the S903X3 also would be an alternative, but from what I read it canā€™t do Hi10p 1080p so itā€™s a no go for me.

As I expect to get at least 3 years worth of use of a player, I think that maybe hoping S922x to be supported till 2024 would be a bit too muchā€¦ so Iā€™ll just wait the next SOC.

Newer and more powerful SoCs have been announced quite some time ago, but none have been fully implemented.
Due to the current Covid and chipset crisis, s922x SoCs will be leading the market for a long time, my guess is that min. 3 years. For example, if a powerful SoC comes out in 2022, it is necessary to wait at least 1 year for the affordability of this SoC in terms of price / performance, and there is still no indication.
In other words, although there are minor changes in the market, the leadership of the s922x SoCs does not seem to change much.

Edit:
Note:
There is no concrete evidence for my allegations. I wanted to write my predictions based on my feelings and experience that I have gained over the years.

Thank you. That was very useful and all I needed to know.

It is extremely funny to me the people who say search, are actually the lazy ones. They have not searched this forum for Khadas VIM3 and know that nothing useful comes up. :laughing:

Yes you can always google search, everyone knows that but we are talking in the context of this thread which is about upgrade for owners of S912 chips. So just saying search is a waste of everyoneā€™s time. Either help or ignore if you donā€™t want to help.

Going back to the OPā€™s requirements, they seem to be, essentially:

Support for AV1, 8K and Hi10p 1080p decoding.

Whilst the S9054 supports AV1, actual 8K and Hi10p 1080p decoding.is, it seems, right now, unknown. The fact that it uses the same Mali-G31MP2 GPU as the S905X3 does suggest that little has changed, although because of AV1 support, 4Kp75 VP9 and other improvementā€™s, perhaps it might just pass muster. I would think that there will be a few members of this very community that have already purchased S905X4 boxes in anticipation and perhaps one off them might like to test the Hi10p 1080p decoding capabilities under Android with a link to a sample of two of examples.

8K capabilities can only realistically be tested by running a sample that will only show a maximum 4K viewpoint.

But in terms of the low end of the ARM SOC market (AMLogic, Rockchip, Allwinner etc) it is a waiting game for the new SOC ranges to come to market. Q1/2 2022 IMO.

To those that speak of cheaping out on your box choice after spending thousands on your TV, surround audio equipment etc, it should not be noted that even the S922X is at the lower end of the market.

Compare other ARM based solutions such as the Snapdragon 888 or Apple M1 and you start trying to comparing a Pinto to a Porsche.

So in such a scenario, the very least of your considerations for a box would be something like the Shield TV Pro, going up to more powerful Intel/AMD NUC style solutions.

Bottom lime right now seems to suggest that there isnā€™t anything at this lower end of the market that supports all that the OP requires, at a price point that I think is aimed at.

There is little that my S912 cannot actually do on a day to day basis for video playback and if Hi10p 1080p is supported then for now at least, part of the immediate requirement is already met.

AV1 and 8K are still down the road normalities, although Googles own statement about AV1 support going forward is almost certainly going to mean quick adoption from a hardware capability perspective sooner than later.

But if there is a desire to be more up to date with Matrix, then perhaps an intermediate purchase of an S90X3 solution, running it as a day to day machine, utilising the S912 for Hi10p 1080p is an option.

When time comes to get that shiny new beast with all the future goodies, I feel sure that you would still get at least 50% of your investment back on the second hand market, so the actual outlay would be mitigated down the line in just a short (ish) period of time.

ARM giveth and ARM taketh away.

2 Likes

Maybe my best option is to sell my S912 to some poor uninformed soul and just go ahead with a S922X then. Any particularly bad brands/models I should be aware of? What would be a good deal considering Iā€™m going to use it just for Coreelec? I know the Odroid probably would be the best oneā€¦ but I would settle for second or third best.

1 Like

The VIM3 in some ways offers better value than the N2 since it has emmc and wifi built in. However cooling is worse and the N2 has a built in DAC which is worth ā‚¬100 all by itself.
Of the Android boxes I wouldnā€™t like to guess.

Shoog

My recommendation would be Odroid-N2+, because Iā€™ve been using it for 3 years.
I have an Odroid-N2 and two N2+ in my house, my favorite feature is petitboot, Iā€™ve heard a few people have problems with petitboot, but Iā€™ve never had such a problem.
I see every job up to date with 2 different CoreElecs and 2 different Ubuntu that I installed on the SSD. There is Android in emmc, although I donā€™t use it much, it is sometimes necessary.

I am happy with the 2.42" I2C oled display, with the CoreElec in a very stylish and functional integrity.

edit:
I also have an Odroid-C4, an HC4 (I use it for Nas/Cloud) and two XU4s. Besides Odroid-N2+, the others are like toys. At least thatā€™s how I feel :smiley:

@Portisch replied your question regarding Dolby Vision

You asked the question. The answer has been discussed heavily in the forums.

Accusing Portisch, a dev and frequent poster of being lazy is simply wrong and extremely rude. I imagine maintaining CE and providing support in these forums is exhausting enough work. As a courtesy to the developers limited time, perhaps consider using the search option first and subsequently keeping the rude replies to yourself.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.