Best device for Coreelec in 2024

oh, good to know, that may explain it! Thanks!

also would mean that it does HDR (any such as HDR10, HDR10+, DV) → SDR automatically.

In my opinion the S905x4 is a weak processor for a media player. It’s only an option if one wants to save money, if money isn’t an issue, the Ugoos AM6B+ or any device with the S922xj is significantly faster and more pleasant to use as a media player.

4 Likes

A heads up, after the current ATV update rolling out to the Kinhank G1, it can no longer boot CE from USB/sdcard. It’s not a bug, it’s bootloader lockdown

Dune HD chose this SoC to power their newest low-cost media player.
Dune HD Pro Vision 4K – DUNE HD (dune-hd.com)

I took the Kinhank off the list as it seems to no longer support COREelec.

The Dune HD Pro Vision 4K looks like a great box. I wonder if they managed FEL support in Android.

They are supposed to send me one.

I hope they do and I would love you to hear your opinion on it. Glad FEL is now going to be officially supported. Maybe, this will mean that FEL will soon be supported on a more recent version of the linux kernel.

that was the fastest number 1 to of the chart box I have ever seen. I wanted the G1 to be awesome! now I’m sad

It certainly was. Hopefully, they restore support and I can put it back on the list.

1 Like

I’d like to know the reason.sales would have quadrupled . this was going to be the number 1 box. now going to try to contact support and want to get in touch with the team. no harm trying to ask them

Imgur

See official information attached

2 Likes

f yeah! lets go KinHank. I wonder if they still want control to lock down the device if they wanted to in the future but for now happy to make this step so users would need to get some key to unlock.
once they see the god damn sales and unlock requests. they might make it so we don’t need to ask for a key.

This is great news and I’ll restore the Kinhank to it’s No. 1 position once a user confirms that they can run COREelec with the new firmware.

1 Like

I made a new account on facebook. I informed Kinhank of the situation, pleaded my case why it’s a bad marketing and financial decision to keep boot loader locked now that we have FEL working and gig ethernet.
basically said they are missing out 3x the sales going forward at the minimum (imho) and asked them to re-consider their decision.
if anyone else wants to let them know they also want access and intended to buy/run coreelec on their device but has now decided not to buy a G1 then you can also voice your concerns. If they see genuinely how much excitement their was for this box, they might give us control back. worth a try…

this is their facebook page
(1) KinHanK Groups – After Sales Service & Feedback | Facebook

the fact they are even communicating gives me hope.
if anyone else can message them letting them know it could change their decision

3 Likes

Hi, just registered here. What about the quite good 60 Euro TOX3 with S905X4 in C2 revision? I react as I do not understand that stuff is recommended and then is not mentioned anymore. Nothing weak there, it plays AV1 with success and AV1 is what we will see more in the near future so it seems a minimum selection requirement. I installed 21.1.1 NE on emmc too (why state that that is not possible?) as SD cards are a weak choice IMHO certainly when it is not necessary. Unmodified it won’t get any warmer than 59 degrees Celsius but it will be slightly modified. Also the tedious bright blue standby LED will be replaced for a red one.

Hardware guy and only using these players because of Coreelec so functionality is priority 1. I also don’t get the point of maintaining 3 software/kernel generations all in 3 sub variants. Possibly a programmers wet dream but it seems to make it way too complicated and time robbing for you guys to maintain or not?! It seems only logical to drop NG.

Only strange matters are “blinking” subtitles and total seizing/resetting when a DVB-T2 receiver is switched on that of course is on another HDMI port?!?! No log no complaint but that is what I experience besides only sometimes playing of AV1 files and have a black screen.

That having said: thank you all for keeping this software maintained and up to date!

1 Like

I received my G1 last night. Put NG sd card in slot, held in reset button, turned on power, let go of button when Gi colourful message on screen, Booted into CE :slight_smile: Played some videos that stuttered on X3 player ok. Wired 340Mbps/wifi 5g same.
Still testing this morning. I don’t have a DB TV atm only Samsung Oled (HDR etc).

I’m a bit confused… what should I be running on the G1. ne, or ng?
I’m using CoreELEC-Amlogic-ne.aarch64-22.0-Piers_nightly_20240904-Generic at the moment.

If you want DV use NE or NG
If you want Fel support use NG but Ethernet may or may not work.

1 Like

And whatever you do, DO NOT upgrade your firmware, as you won’t be able to run CE anoymore after upgrade :frowning:

That’s my main worry aswell as I’ve tried this cpu before as it ran to slow but that box was running on a android tv os,and the ui lagged like hell,coreelec is a much lighter operation system so it should run faster