Best device for Coreelec in 2024

anyone interested you can grab the Kinhank-G1 for $57.95 (pre tax) for new users
just create a new account, you’ll have to have a different debit/credit card I believe. previous price without new user discount is $59.95

1 Like

S905X4-J Devices
Supports AV1, Dolby Vision including FEL, and 3D on CoreELEC -ng

So the S905X4-J does not support FEL in -ne, but in -ng.
So far I believed that it supports MEL in -ne. Is that correct? If so, do I need to copy dovi.ko from Android to /storage/dovi.ko for MEL to work on -ne?

I also saw this now:

There it says that the Kinhank G1 supports 1Gbps for onboard LAN NIC under CE NG, which contradicts other information that the Kinhank G1 PCB may be somehow botched so that more than 100Mbps will not work (and if that is the case this should also hold for NG). Slightly confusing.

Yes
Is confusing with new development of NG kernel FEL

Kinhank g1 has been working excellent, last 3 months os so
With CoreELEC NE 5.4.210 kernel.

No you do not need to copy dovi.ko to storage.

It is already there for interface

All Dolby Vision playback works/
MEL is converted and does playback

Stay with latest nightly. CoreELEC NE

When DTB become available for NG branch
Use a separate /different media to test Profile 7 FEL

Kinhank G1 support 1GBit/s with Amlogic-ng. I just tested it today.

9 Likes

@freddy I am wondering why you call NG new development. I dont know the history of CE but I can see that NG is referring to the older vendor kernel than NE according to this Wiki page, and NO referring to the latest vendor kernel: coreelec:devgeneric [CoreELEC Wiki]

To understand this correctly in which direction the project is heading:
Is NG the legacy branch?
Is NE the current stable branch?
Is NO the branch for the future?

regarding NE: if DV P7 MEL is converted to HDR10 that is not what I am looking for. So if I want real DV P7 MEL playback or even FEL playback with S905X4-J I need to use the NG branch, not NE?

Why are you saying “when DTB become available for NG” - isn’t NG already fully working and being phased out in favor of NE and later for NO?

Sorry if I appear confused, because I really am at this point, I don’t mean to challenge you at all.

From what I glean at this moment in time I may want the -NG nightly for proper MEL or even FEL playback on S905X4-J on Hinkank G1?

And if even eth0 works with 1Gbps that would be perfect. If -NG offers it all, what is the purpose of -NE or even -NO?

(I am not an embedded developer and I know near to nothing about the history of CE and Amlogic chips, my journey into the realm of Amlogic Kodi actively started last week when I wanted to buy a new box…)

Nice, now I need to update my recommendations.

1 Like

Been very happy with my odroid n2 for 3y and still am as it works great but its jst a pain having to switch channels to my nv shield for dolby vision, I was eventually going to pick up a amlogic s928x but thats been a big disappointment,around 20%faster single score and slower in multi score to the n2 9222x,no fel support,been keeping a eye on the ugoos amb6 discussions,has anyone switched from a odroid n2 to ugoos amb6 ,would appreciate there feed back cause paying £150for for a amb6 which has the same soc as my odroid n2 minus dolby vision,so I’d only be gaining dolby vision so not sure it’s worth it

I would get the Kinhank G1 if you want Dolby Vision. It’s cheaper with the same support.

2 Likes

Does it play fel p7 tv led dolby vision, or is there any choices that play fel p7 tv led like the ugoos

Yes, booting time will take longer than the S922X, but playback support for Dolby Vision is identical. The Kinhank G1 supports FEL.

2 Likes

@Astrotrain Thanks for your text updates (e.g. on RCU wakeup), greatly appreciated! It helps clarifying capabilites of the devices a lot !! (specifically for people who are new to the Amlogic arena and CoreELEC)

1 Like

I don’t even own the damn box or any intention of buying it (happy with my N2+) but really excited what this means for kodi.
surely the top end of the market would see a sales drop which might mean they charge cheaper.
damn so excited! thanks!

theirs 30 minutes left for the current sale on in aliexpress

I’d expect to get another sale within a month.
I’d also expect the demand to rise within a month

you want to ask here
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=376035

that threads been going on for like a few years and those guys have had almost all hardware.

I myself will be keeping the N2+ for 2 more years at least. my TV doesn’t have any more needs than the N2+.

I expect things to get cheaper now that the G1 value is too high to justify paying twice for AMB6+ (imho)

If Kinhank upgraded to Android TV 14, they would have an unbeatable box that would sell for years.

1 Like

okay Im to excited not to post, the sales finished and price has rose to $65 for shipping to USA BUT
it’s showing as $56 for shipping to UK for me!

this has to be a pricing error or something
never seen it this cheap and what it can do. just thought to mention it!
bargain of the decade for a kodi box

even with the current iteration no other box comes close to it for what it offers at any price point.
this is going to double in demand in next few months when word gets out.
I can really see them upgrading it once they understand what android TV 14 could do to the box.

To many ???

The development in NG was the dovi.ko

Team CoreELEC maintains 3 kernels

NG 4.9
NE 5.4.210
NO 5.15.119

The future has changed now
No Idea what is planned :thinking:

Maybe drop NE ???

Keep NG/NO ???

The conversion is not to HDR10
Dolby Vision Profile 8.1

Do you even have this Box Yet?
If so make a clean install Latest nightly NE
And start Testing the Damn Thing!!!

Happy Testing

yes @freddy - I do have the Kinhang G1 and I am currently running CE 21.1.1 NE on it from SDcard. I have some 4K h265 Dolby Vision content. It looks exactly the same on the Kinhank G1 as on my old Vero 4K+ (also running Kodi 21.1). That could well be because I do not own yet a HDR TV, this is a very decent Sony Bravia, but still SDR. Buying a new TV and a projector is in the queue, so I am keen on having a box that displays HDR properly.

the System > CoreELEC Menu does not have a Dolby Vision entry on the NE, just SDR >HDR and HDR > SDR.

If I understood correctly, you have tried both on the Kinhang G1: CE 21 -ng and -ne. Does playback of Dolby Vision content it make any visible difference between -ng end -ne?

(is it correct that -ng still is using arm, being 32 bit, versus -ne and -no using aarch64, i.e. 64 bit? For purposes of Kodi, does that make any difference?)

EDID
Does not read Dolby Vision compatible.

So you will never see those Options in CoreELEC

Need Dolby Vision/Monitor /TV