CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

Logs for ssh disconnection:

root@192.168.100.3's password: 
##############################################
#                  CoreELEC                  #
#            https://coreelec.org            #
##############################################

CoreELEC (official): 21.1.1-Omega_nightly_20240904 (Amlogic-ng.arm)
      Machine model: Dune/Homatics R 4K Plus
     CoreELEC dt-id: sc2_s905x4_sei_smb_280_id5
      Amlogic dt-id: sc2_s905x4_ah212-id5
      Linux version: 4.9.269 (docker@30c9ab6ea108) #1 Wed Sep 4 10:52:03 IDT 2024
      Kodi compiled: 2024-09-04 15:36:32 +0700

Connection to 192.168.100.3 closed.
Sep 04 21:13:45.668680 CoreELEC sshd-session[6483]: Failed password for root from 192.168.100.8 port 53334 ssh2
Sep 04 21:13:50.776491 CoreELEC sshd-session[6483]: Accepted password for root from 192.168.100.8 port 53334 ssh2
Sep 04 21:13:50.891022 CoreELEC sshd-session[6485]: Received disconnect from 192.168.100.8 port 53334:11: disconnected by user
Sep 04 21:13:50.891360 CoreELEC sshd-session[6485]: Disconnected from user root 192.168.100.8 port 53334

paste.coreelec.org/SpentEsteban

For those who are lamenting the decline of the Kinhank should realize that this is going to lead to a flood of S905X4-J devices and broader support for FEL.

From the experiences here, it’s fairly clear what users want

1. A remote with IR
  2. An integrated IR receiver
  3. A microsd card slot
  4. The ability to install on the emmc
  5. HS400 speed for the emmc
  6. non-pcie Gigabit Ethernet
  7. Wifi 7 or at least Wifi 6
  8. USB 3.0 port and USB 2.0 port
  9. HDMI 2.1
  10. Optical out
  11. Analog out
  12. Certified Android 14

Any manufacturer that can follow these guidelines for cheap will have a bestseller.

The Dune HD Homatics Box R 4K Plus now advertises FEL support. Can anyone test and confirm. Also, could you upload the dovi.ko module?

Even the s928 is advertised as having FEL support.

I beg to differ :slight_smile: But I’ve solved it for now by adding a reboot script to my favourites.xml.

Believe it always has but it was common knowledge that the EL layer was discarded within the Dune Media Player.

1 Like

They have always stated FEL support from the beginning, it’s just “fake” FEL. They even state it in their detailed specs on that page:

Double-track/double-layer video (profile 7 MEL, profile 7 FEL) is played with the use of data from both tracks/layers: video data from the first track/layer (with 10-bit color depth - the maximum color depth supported by OLED-panels in OLED TVs), extended Dolby Vision information (RPU metadata) from the second track/layer

more of a reason for KinHank to unlock and have first mover advantage and sell as many boxes as they can to get mindshare and marketshare. I also used this as a reason for them to unlock and sent it to their facebook. I’m guessing they are sleeping, once they wake up and have time to think about it, they might change direction.

Those $150+ boxes will need to reduce prices to compete with whats to come

Certified Android 14
Why?

those more expensive boxes does still have their place, maybe little cheaper but still, they are faster, they use much better quality builds/cooling/components, I mean by only looking at the Kinhank G1 it uses basic plastic build, the inside surely uses minimum cooling/quality stuff, the Homatics Box R 4K Plus looks like better build but even that one does not come close to the Ugoos AM6B+, I have both and compared, I had to put a fan inside the Homatics to get good temps, good quality stuff does not come for free.

basic economics, if these boxes that cost a third the price start to take away sales, they have to reduce price to stay competitive or lose sales. My Odroid N2+ I bought 4 years ago is cost the same second hand. because their is no competition. Now it will kick all these expensive boxes backside to either lower price or bring their own cheaper G1 clone

I tested on Beelink and SSH works there. Can you try fresh USB?

Todays nightly in homatics box.
Really in the stock estuary no reboot to emmc option.
In the player settings missing the Dolby Vision conversion setting (lossless, 8.1 etc.)
After play one atmos or truhd movie, the system sound, and the musics flacs playing fast squirrel sound, when I play one dts movie, after the sound go back to normal speed.

you have it on Aeon Nox: Silvo, must you not use CPM build to get DV stuff?

There’s no better way for a person to reveal it doesn’t know much about the media player business than to bring up the word “android” when the subject is: good media players. Total opposites.

No need skin, I have my own. :slightly_smiling_face:
The dv itself working p7fel too.

ok, yeah but for us running Samsung TVs need the CPM stuff I guess?

Thats downgrade now. cpm build older than todays nightly.

yeah I suspected it, might stay with his build for now as it works with the Homatics box, hopefully we get updated CPM build. @cpm :slight_smile:

He has stated that his build is complete for everything he has wanted to do.Don’t expect a new cpm build unless anything needs further work or fixes.It is up to other developers to carry forward his work/CE team to integrate it to the main build if you want the features in newer builds.He has also posted instructions on how you can compile your own build with his fixes if you really need a update.

1 Like

@Gilgamesh @frodo19

Does today’s nightly include the VS10 engine? I am interested in cpm’s feature of HDR10+ to DV but I am not sure if that’s in the nightly.