CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

Sorry to everyone who bought the G1. Seems ominous and KinHank have made their decision. I wish they let us know the reason.

they got 1150 clicks from my post. I wish I could take them clicks back. very disappointed

Do You remember my words ?
Buy cheap, buy twice

5 Likes

agreed, better to pay more to get better quality or support.

you was right

Well, the cheep one still works OK, if you donā€™t wish to make it expensive, ie update cheep FW :slightly_smiling_face:

Not for those who bought it, but for those who updated it. Without this new update, it still work OK in CE.

Then you should contact them to provide you with the original FW so you can revert the box to the state that you paid for. Otherwise, you are cheated since they ruined your device without a warning, and made it useless.

The company only for industry customers,donā€™t care for any individual requests.

the uses of G1 are listed when you buy it. You canā€™t do anything to a company that lock bootloader. they never advertised that it can run CoreElec so not sure how you think they are at fault. They gave you a price for the features advertised, if you didnā€™t like it , then donā€™t buy it.
Only reason they locked out bootloader must be because of Google/Dolby, otherwise they will sell more now with CoreElec. which means itā€™s all legal.
One thing I donā€™t get is they sell pirated software on their hardware. how did they get into partnership with google.

OK, if that does not work, maybe you can try my next suggestion. I did this on my AM6B+ in Android 9:
Installed ā€œMavenā€™s Kodiā€ build ā€œnet.kodinerds.maven.kodi21.armeabi-v7a-202408310405-59111328-Omega.apkā€ from this site.

Then made Android and Kodi settings as explained in this post.

After that I can play DV-FEL videos in Android. Iā€™m not sure it will work for you on G1 due to different Android and SoC versions, but you cannot lose anything trying.

The Kodinerds build is going to have the same DV FEL limitation as CE, it needs to be run on kernel 4.9 with the older dovi.ko & amdolby code.

Kinhank isnā€™t a Google partner, they are reselling SDMC boxes. Itā€™s a good question, why would a serious company like SDMC tarnish their name by doing business with a company that sells bootleg game consoles.

not many have heard of KinHank, Itā€™s the first time on that deal site that it has a KinHank box. I have a feeling KinHank popularity might have been increasing and their boxes being bought globally. CoreElec isnā€™t a problem but EmuELEC is because itā€™s most definitely pirated stuff, so SDMC must have said get lock bootloader or say goodbye to anymore boxes because you are hurting our name.
The timing just hurt CoreElec. And KinHank donā€™t want to push their luck with SDMC to ask if CoreElec could be run on the box.

can we just forget and move on with this? itā€™s getting pretty annoying reading in every thread about this Kinhank crap, just buy another box and be done with it, come on.

7 Likes

Emuelec doesnā€™t provide any pirated content. I donā€™t know if Kinhank just loads it with ROMs.

1 Like

There is still the annoyance of having to contact a vendor for a password to sideload an apk This is the first box where developer mode was locked down. I hope that is not a trend.

It would be nice of all the G1 junk was moved out of this thread so we can concentrate on how useful this change is on supported (for now) boxes.

You are right, I just remembered that I tried it on Nokia 8010 with ATV 12, and it did not work.

Iā€™m having the same thought when deciding between Dune HD R Plus and Nokia 8010.

Nokia 8010 is cheaper, yes, it get OTA updates, but - I donā€™t know how to say - it is no so transparent in terms on publish updates, you can go to Dune HD webpage and look for a specific producto firmware and get updated information of every is happening.

Need help to decide :sweat_smile:

The DuneHD / Rocktek G2 / Homatics R Plus / Nokia 8010 firmware is all developed and maintained by SEI. I donā€™t know that Dune is providing any more firmware support than Nokia since both are relying on SEI to update the firmware for them

I think the Homatics box is going to have the most support. However, the Android 12 update has not gone smoothly at all and it remains in the beta stage. They pulled the official Android 12 update because it broke local playback of files and Android 12 is still coming.

Then there is something I donā€™t understand, why Nokia already updated to Android 12 TV few months ago and Dune HD is still dealing with it Dune Firmware Zone / ATV12 Firmware Update and adding support to things like DTS X/HD MA passthrough? In fact, it looks like to me they work on different firmware versions.