CE-NG Dolby Vision (+FEL) for DV-licensed SOCs (s905x2, s922x/z, s905x4)

I found one here

thanks, Iā€™m seeing this archive referenced back to at least January 2023. I just wanted to give credit to whoever made the archive, but it may not be possible to figure out who that person was.

theirs a readme in the mega which says
"Description of the video file is here: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/dune-pro-vision-4k-dolby-vision-fel-and-rpu-response-other-random-stuff.3188469/#post-60582530
"

First post he wrote ā€œIā€™ve created several FEL tests, in MP4 (DTDL), MKV (STDL), M2TS (DTDL), ISO and BDMV. These are muxed with Dolbyā€™s own MP4 Muxer and then converted to the individual formats with the latest TSMuxer or MakeMKV where needed.ā€

This posts dates around Mar 21. which is before the post in the kodi page you linked to

also in the readme at the bottom it reads
ā€œAs @queitvoid suggested BL_RPU.mkv have some metadata that it should not have in profile 8, see Dolby Vision profile 7 FEL in Kodi 21 on Ugoos AM6 Plus
So I made BL_RPU2.mkv using:
dovi_tool --edit-config fel_to_p81_encode.json mux --bl BL.hevc --el EL.hevc --discard
mkvmerge -o BL_RPU2.mkv BL_RPU.hevcā€

This means queitvoid isnā€™t the person who created those files since the text is referencing queitvoid and near the end of the post in avsforum people are asking for the files he " markswift2003" created and heā€™s uploaded more in Mega. So to me it seems markswift2003 is the author of those files and heā€™s done similar work as you on trying to get FEL working.

markswift2003 is still active only posted 4 days ago. Seems he was also working on FEL

queitvoid also has a github

"BL is expected to be mapped to 16 bits.
EL is 10 bits.

Output is 12 bits.

Usage:

core.vsnlq.MapNLQ(blClip: vs.VideoNode, elClip: vs.VideoNode[, rpu: str])
"

Iā€™m trying to send a message at the end of the thread to ask if heā€™s the author and to let them know the developments made here by YadaYada. As soon as I can post on that forum. Iā€™ll send

EDIT: I also found this Samples from kodi wiki
https://kodi.wiki/view/Samples

lots of samples their and one sample which states
17. Dolby Vision FEL Test Samples (shared by @markswift2003; see instructions on how to assess)

1 Like

Iā€™ll get my Nokia in the next fews day and will try the HybridELEC packer to see if I can just create a dual boot image that way.

Will report back here.

1 Like

Have you tried
Unlock Bootloader?

Have password now
Was thinking about Fastboot

Or waiting for Kinhank fix?

Prices for S905x4-J devices are falling because they are EOL because the S905X5 is coming out this month.

1 Like

Dont think. :slightly_smiling_face: There is no separate box ready from Sei Robotics.
And when once coming, that will 905X5M with 2G ram , which is little underpoweredā€¦

I honestly was thinking for example the KinHank seems like they want to just sell them. the prices are very low. I also thought what if they want the next box from SDMC and in order to do that they had to lock the system down to appease SDMC.
The KinHank G1 has been on sale for the past few weeks now and it just seems to get cheaper. If only they didnā€™t lock bootloader. $54.14 pre tax is awesome

No idea what Kinhank has planned :thinking:

That is why thinking about
Unlock Bootloader

Maybe try to flash Ugoos X4Q Extra
Same SoC with S905X4-J
Same DDR4

i have a homatics tvbox can boot ce,so waiting for Kinhank fix.

1 Like

The bootloader isnā€™t going to unlock, SDMC are no chumps. Plus they removed a bunch of other stuff under the hood that will prevent CE from booting. Kinhank is at the mercy of SDMC to undo the changes.

The SOC is password locked, so thereā€™s no flashing other firmware. And itā€™s using secureboot, so even if you managed to flash another deviceā€™s firmware it would be bricked.

1 Like

I think it is again enough talk about Kinhank and bootloader issue. If there will be any solution please someone post it but until then stop talking about it because it doesnā€™t add anything more to conversation.

14 Likes

Just set up my Ugoos X4Q Extra (sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4.dtb)
Nightly: CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1.1-Omega_nightly_20240910-Generic
Working: DV FEL, BT, WiFi, LAN

Happy days.

NOTE: unlike the Am6b plus, DV didnā€™t work straight away with the dovi.ko file located in flash. I had to SSH into the box and copy the X4 dovi.ko from /flash to /storage and reboot and then it worked.

I cannot really tell any real difference to my Am6b plus, the X4Q seems as responsive so far, even when seeking in 4K DV FEL remuxes.

3 Likes

Just had an automatic update for my Dune Homatics ā€œngā€ 20240910, now the Ethernet does NOT work. Was working prior to this last update.

Nice Box the Ugoos extra!!!
Have been looking at it

Assume you are testing CoreELEC NG kernel?

If you test CoreELEC NE kernel 5.4. 210
Then dovi.ko that came with Firmware
Should work right out of the Box

1 Like

Yes, latest NG nightly. I added info to my post to specify :slight_smile:

But NE doesnā€™t support DV FEL right?

wondering as the Ugoos is not certified Android TV box is it not better to buy the Homatics box as it uses same SoC/RAM and get the overall better box? even if you wonā€™t use Android if they are the same price better to go with certified one that also gets Android version updates.

With working NE and non working NG:
https://wiki.coreelec.org/coreelec:ce_support

I tested this device tree and now the Ethernet is working >>
sc2_s905x4_sei_smb_280.dtb.

Prior to this Sept. 10 update, that version the Ethernet did not work. I had to use this version >> sc2_s905x4_ugoos_x4.dtb.

This has me wondering if the update can change the device tree???