Chapter skip on 4k Remux causes Kodi crash

This looks like a crash in FFmpeg, not much we can do about that.
Since it only reproduces in your setup, it could be something with your configuration.
I’d suggest a clean install on a separate sd to test whether it still occurs.

not strictly true, see second post in this thread.

i can do this, it will take a bit of time as the unit is in constant use but i will give it a whirl if it helps debug the issue.

I’ve tested right now with a couple of UHD BD, and 4k mkv and no issue at all…

Thanks i appreciate the test!, OK im going to try the suggested idea of a clean install then and rule out any addons causing issues.

Of note, the crash does not occur on all 4k remux’s, so it is possible you have struck lucky with your test media. Also i should mention that the 4k remux’s i am using are located on a NAS (unraid), im not sure if you could test playback over the network, im assuming your test was playback of a locally stored file?.

No, I have everything on my NAS.

ahh ok, cool.

@binhex did you sort out a fix? I’m having crashes any time I try to do a large seek. Small seeks work as expected, but large seeks crash every time. Pretty comparable to a chapter skip, thus my tag on post here

Nope it’s still on my list of things to do, I need to really try the idea of a clean install of coreelec and see if I still have the same issue if I do then I can raise it to coreelec/Kodi teams, feel free to try this and report back.

Just to confirm are these re-muxes or re-encodes. In a re-mux the Key Frames should be the same as the original as the video is a copy of the original track. In a re-encode the track is decoded then re-coded the keyframes will change.

@ffimon for me the issue is seen when playing 4k remux

I also experience this crash quite frequently. In particular with any 4K Frozen Remux you can find around just after 36:00 when Anna approaches the Swiss hut.
There has also been a simultaneous discussion going on in the LE forums: https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/20870-libreelec-crashes-in-the-middle-of-the-4k-movie-on-raspberry-pi4/

I have found that the crash is more likely to occur with any movie when skipping, but it ALWAYS crashes on Frozen at the mentioned play time.

Here’s my crash log when skipping through: https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/F9mWZZWBCS/
And the one only happening at the specific position in the movie during normal playback: http://ix.io/24a6
I’m streaming from a NAS via smb.

I’m running CE 9.2.1 on an Odroid N2, but experienced it even before CE 9.2. I tested the same source material on a virtual machine with most recent LE installed, but interestingly enough no issue there. Maybe an anomaly with the HEVC decoding happening on the Odroid?

The crashes are really nasty :frowning:

We are not alone with this issue! looks like OSMC had the same issue with chapter skip on remuxes just like me!, fixed on OSMC:-

And another thread on this forum, same issue:-

Can we get a fix for this guys, or at least get a dev to look into this issue to see if it can be replicated?.

chapter fix / TrueHD fix - not sure what crash is discussed here.

I’ve experienced it also on my N2, running latest nightly, definitely only 4k remux files. But no consistency on which file and when.

Same issue here with most 4k remux files with TrueHD. Big skips and trying to change chapters will almost always result in a hang or fallback to the main screen.

Ive literally just upgraded to CoreELEC 9.2.2 on my N2 and for me this bug is now finally squashed!!!, awesome job CoreELEC dev’s, not exactly sure what killed the bug, as i see there was a lot of changes around kernel and driver implementation in the changelog, whatever it is im very pleased to see the back of this bug!.

edit - ugggh it looks like its less prevalent but still an issue sadly with certain 4k remux’s, i’ve got a remux that crashes kodi every time you chapter skip twice.

I wish I could say the same. A couple of videos will now at least resume if its withing the first 10 minutes of the video, but chapter skips and large skips still fail.

I’ve tried three different USB3 external hard drives and I’ve yet to get through an entire 4k Remux TrueHD movie without a crash somewhere after the 30 minute mark. Chapter skip freezes or drops back to the main screen as well as big skips,

After selecting a chapter, the log fills with:

DEBUG: CVideoPlayerVideo::OutputPicture - ttd:493ms pts:19.770 Clock:19.277 Level:-1
WARNING: CRenderManager::WaitForBuffer - timeout waiting for buffer

Just to confirm, this is still an issue with CoreELEC 9.2.3 on ODROID N2.

this is still true with matrix 19. the secret is playing 2160p remux truehd then 100% crash when skipping a large chunk using the seek bar.

1 Like