Cheapest device to run coreelec?

I really like the Odroid N2, didn’t expect to use if for audio but it handles High Res flac, even multi channel really well.

I have since put it in the bedroom, and was wondering if there was a cheaper device that runs coreelec that has the same audio capabilities (multi chanel PCM).

This would be primarily for audio so not sure I need the 922 SOC. I keep reading about cheap $40-50 S905 or 912 boxes. But once you start adding power supplies, cases, etc, Its not so cheap.

40$ and it works great for the past year with Coreelec.

Thanks man that’s great. Any idea how it does with multi channel pcm? Can it send bit perfect flac over hdmi? And did you just install CoreELEC on an sdcard?

Why would you recommend anyone to buy an ancient box with a processor 3 generations old?

@lightsout Any device capable of running CoreELEC will do the job for playing audio.
I’d go for a newer device. A S905X at the very least, and a S905X2 would be an even better option.
You can find them for around the same price as the above box.

Ok thanks, there is a million of them, hard to know which have unlocked bootloaders, etc. Hence why I asked here. I will continue to look around, I am not really looking to buy at the moment so not a huge deal.

EDIT## Is there an easy way to identify the ability to install coreelec?

You can ask here when you find something appealing, someone will tell. It has to be Amlogic, of course and I don’t think you’ll find a suitable candidate with locked bootloader at a decent price.

I am sorry I don’t understand this statement. Did you mean to say “locked” or “unlocked” bootloader? I am assuming I want something with an unlocked bootloader, correct?

Something like this, any way to know if its usable for corelec?

What I meant is that normally devices with locked bootloader are premium ones and even if they worked with CoreELEC (which they don’t) they wouldn’t be cheap. Take the example of the mibox, the specs aren’t that great but it’s certified so it’s not as cheap as other devices with same specs.

Ok I thought that but wasn’t sure. So the cheap boxes don’t care. When I go to buy I will be sure to ask around. Would hate to get something that was locked down on accident.