Compile kernel with Wifi driver

Hi,
I have a generic box which has the MT76x8 wifi/bt module. I see that Github page for coreelec has the wifi driver for MT76x8. But, how do I compile this into the kernel available on GH page, or for that matter with any other Linux kernel?

Is it even possible to do that? Or, is there another way to compile the driver into the kernel?

Sorry if it’s an extremely beginner question, but, any help is greatly appreciated.

Any suggestions or a simple tip to get started would help.

I think drive doesn’t work. That’s why it is not included.

But, anon here said that, it’s been fixed - Looking for users with no working WiFi or BT - #25 by anon88919003 Moreover, I do believe I saw a nightly build of Coreelec with MT7668 WiFi driver in the release notes - CoreELEC/CoreELEC 9.2.2 on GitHub

Then try adding it to ADDITIONAL_DRIVERS Amlogic-ng: build and include mt7668 wifi driver · CoreELEC/CoreELEC@4bcb5dd · GitHub

I can build image for you later today.

That’d be great. But, I was wondering if there’s a way to build the driver into kernel so that it can be used for other distros too. I know, it’s not the smartest thing to be discussing other distros on Coreelec forums. But, you guys came the closest to building the WiFi driver for Linux. As you know, the driver does exist for Android, thanks to Fire Stick TV.

You have the source just build them :wink:

1 Like

I tried with the source available on GitHub (GitHub - CoreELEC/mt76x8). Tried adding it to the Linux kernel source, made changes to Kconfig and Makefile. Unfortunately, Linux kernel building completely ignored the folder. I confirmed this by deleting the mt76x8 folder. The kernel still built successfully. Am I missing something? Will I have to port these drivers to Linux?

If you would look more in depth you would see the driver used was this one

and build as separate package like this

I don’t remember anymore what is the purpose of driver from CE git. As I wrote it probably doesn’t work and work on it was stopped.

1 Like

Yah, but many members on the wifi/bt issue thread claimed that wifi did work for them. So, I was interested. Moreover, since there is already the Android driver, I wanted to know if there was a way to port it for Linux. Thanks for all the answers. I really appreciate it.

As I wrote try building it yourself then. Not as part of the kernel but separate package.
make command is here mt7668-aml: introduce new package · CoreELEC/CoreELEC@22d0d39 · GitHub

1 Like

Again, thanks a lot for all the help. I will look into this.

I have an A95X F3 Slim box with MT7668RSN
I run CoreELEC 19.5-Matrix Final with WiFi working stabile, no problems.
Build in Bluetooth doesn’t work.

Which build of CoreElec are you using?

Hey, btw, any ideas which folder the firmware files (.bin) have to be copied to?

Probably in /usr/lib/firmware.

Tried that but no luck. I will look into it again

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.