CoreELEC 19.5-Matrix_rc1 Discussion

I might be able to try that on the weekend (and prepare a test file portion or two). And that’s a good idea to test…but long term I can’t have it set up that way…I know that is often suggested, but there is of course a lot of reasons people use AVRs at the centre of their system.

I have also narrowed it down to seemingly just HDR10+ material, though, in the interim. (@rabaraf)

Very interesting the AVR is showing HDR10+ even when it plays incorrectly (which I have just tested here too, and see the same) - that’s a surprise and I should have checked that…I wonder if maybe it has to do with a recent TV update then? I don’t really use any of the smart TV features so I don’t think about those much, but I don’t refuse the updates either. TV is a Panasonic GZ1000.

I have just now experimented a bit more - if I go into the TV menus and manually change the EOTF function during the incorrect playback (to PQ, say), that seems to then display things a lot more correctly. And if I change the HDMI Auto mode to Mode1 (was on Mode2 for some reason, I think that is the default) - then it seems to maybe increase the hit rate of success playbacks where the TV switched to HDR10+ as expected…but hard to say if that will be consistent, as it still fails to go into HDR10+ at least some of the time. Definitely not worse in that mode though, so worth a try to at least maybe improve the chances.

I do know that this is definitely new behaviour though - I’ve watched a decent amount of HDR10+ stuff in the past couple years, without these issues…so something has changed, somewhere!

Yeah, apparently something changed somewhere…
First I have suspected CE 19.5_RC1 but… I have downgraded to 19.4 and result is the same.
If AVR says it outputs HDR10+ then it is most probably something with Panasonic but I do not recall any updates recently… there were no notification about updates availability nor about it was done in the background and to be honest I don’t remember last years since I’m using my Panasonic OLED FZ800 model if it was any remainder at all.
How to confirm or deny if it was an update? I will try to focus on that… maybe there is something in Panasonic forums…

[Update] In Network menu there is a setting “New Software Message” and I have it set to “On” but there wasn’t any updates recently as I don’t get this notification within last 12 months at least for sure.

One question to you: if you power on your Panas then do you have a configuration that your AVR powering on as well? If yes, then: do you have an issue with sound that it is no sound at all through your AVR? I have to select another source in TV like HDMI 2 where my N2 is connected and then back to TV and then sound is there through AVR. Too me it looks like AVR X2700H model only have this problem. I have had old X2200W and NEVER faced this issue together with Panas. How it looks for you?

No issues with sounds for me through the X2700h

I use a Harmony remote that turns on the AVR first, then the TV, and finally the N2+

So further testing indicates using ‘Mode 1’ results in a much higher hit rate with HDR10+ material. I honestly don’t know what has changed/when - but something has.

As I understand it, Mode1 = HDMI 1.4 and Mode2 = HDMI2. Until this issue, I have used Mode2 exclusively and had previously tested HDR10+ things many times without issues.

Given them amp shows HDR10+, I can’t quite see how it would be a CoreElec issue, though.

It’s a bid odd and frustrating…

Yeah… it is absolutely frustrating especially that I remember it was no issue with HDR10+ content with some previous CE version and there were no updates in AVR nor Panasonic firmware recently…

Did you have a chance to test connecting directly your N2+ to Panasonic?
I have no spare HDMI cable and my cabling is quite “permanent” without possibility to use existing cable that is connecting my N2 with AVR…

Also: how to see in the log if something is wrong in CE/Kodi? I have enabled:
FFmpeg libraries, Video component, audio/video timing information and there is nothing when HDR10+ content is displayed as non-HDR vs. as HDR10+

No, I haven’t tried direct, same sort of scenario, I have everything pretty deeply wired in. And it’s exam time for my kids etc, so I haven’t had an appropriate moment to do the necessary work. And honestly - I would never use it that way anyway, so even if it works, it doesn’t really help me.

I too have combed logs and am unable to really see really where Kodi/CE is choosing the HDR version - unlike say e.g. the resolution stuff, it doesn’t seem to log what it is doing in this area. And it would be very useful if it did, but ultimately the evidence is there that the HDR10+ side of things is at least getting to the amp, which clearly states it is outputting HDR10+ so that pretty much nails the issue to the TV as far as I can tell…and also the Mode 1/2 thing clearly changes the behaviour (have you tried that?) - such that HDR10+ is engaged much more often successfully…

BTW, any chance CoreELEC will support Amlogic S905D3G (Chromecast with Google TV)

I have Mode 2 all the time so even with this setting HDR10+ is properly displayed time to time only.
But I have found another workaround how to get HDR10+ : when you start HDR10+ and it is displayed as non-HDR or HDR10 only then go to the TV settings → Setup ->HDMI HDR Setting and change from Dynamic to Static. As the result you will get distorted colors but when you back to Dynamic it finally start displaying HDR10+
I’m totally upset how HDR10+ is handled and don’t knowing the root cause of it makes me angry but this is out of my skills to do any other troubleshooting.
Maybe one day I will found spare SD card and check with clear CE 19.4 and prior versions if it is the same “broken” behavior for HDR10+ content.

[EDIT] Got it probably… In AVR settings: Video → Output Settings I have changed Video Mode from “Auto” to “Bypass” and since then HDR10+ content is each time properly displayed…

Well that’s a further sign it’s the AVR/TV interface I guess (albeit I think something has changed about how playback starts at the Kodi end that triggers all this…)

But as a solution, that is not a good one - means the AVR can’t overlay any info on the signal (like onscreen volume, & info etc) - so it’s a kludge solution at best.

I have a TV that fully supports all of the video codecs, including HDR, HDR +, Dolby Vison, etc…
None of my 4k videos show HDR, what setting am I missing?? Thanks.

Here is the codec info.
Jumanji The Next Level (2019)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@High
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC

On which CE-Kodi version?

19.5 Matrix_rc1, running on a Beelink GT1-Mini2

Please run the video and post the output of dispinfo

You can also run dmesg -c and dmesg|paste after pressing play

Don’t know how or why, but the HDR 10 tag is now showing on my TV. I included the log anyway and photo of the HDR 10.

44ap.txt (122.4 KB)

HDR 10

I have found a bug an my minix u22-xj max. After playing 3D movies, the switch to the normal image mode in Kodi menu dos not work. The screen is splitted an the resolution is to big. Thanks for your help.

CE does not support 3D!?

3D works fine, only “disable stereoscopic 3D mode when playback ended” does not work. It is in Settings / Player → Videos

continue here please: