CoreELEC 19.5-Matrix_rc2 Discussion

Not sure how to debug this because I don’t see anything. Tried Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc. but couldn’t get anything to show up either.

Maybe start here and see if that solves it.

1 Like

Remove resolution.ini and try if it solves your issue. If not SSH to your booted box and run dmesg | paste

1 Like

Hello ,

i have installed latest coreelec on my vontar x3 (905x3) and there is no working LAN. Wifi is ok
LAN is working under stock android. And im using sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit.dtb from device tree.
Because it is my device configuration

thank you for help

Did it work on rc1 or did you just start to use CE from rc2?
If none of the existing images work, can you SSH into the box and run the following command to check if your ethernet PHY is JL2101?

dmesg | grep 'eth%d: PHY ID'

If it says something like this (PHY ID 937c4032), then your box has a JL2101 PHY:

[    0.742444@3]- eth%d: PHY ID 937c4032 at 0 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:00) active
[    0.742611@3]- eth%d: PHY ID 937c4032 at 1 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:01)

If it says something like this, then your box does not have a JL2101 PHY:

[    0.598830@2]- eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 0 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:00) active
[    0.598834@2]- eth%d: PHY ID 001cc916 at 1 IRQ POLL (stmmac-0:01)

You can also run the following command and paste the link to us so we can check the full kernel log:

dmesg | paste

And if your PHY is JL2101, then can you try either one of the following images to check if the ethernet works? (or if you don’t know how to SSH, then you can simply try these images anyway)

(This one uses the generic PHY driver for JL2101)

(This one uses the official driver from JLsemi I ported for JL2101)

I developed the JL2101 patches for my S905X3 box (HK1 Box), and verified it work nicely, but testers with S905X4 and JL2101 reported it did not work, and since I don’t have a S905X4 box with JL2101 I can’t further fix the problems. Since you are using basically the same model as mine (vontar x3 is basically hk1 box rebranded), the patched image should work for you, could you give it a try?

1 Like

8 posts were merged into an existing topic: Report about Amlogic S905X4 HK1 RBOX X4

Thanks for the help. Reflashed and it seems to be working. Not sure what happened. Tried armbian and CoreElec 20 in between and those worked. Anyways, thank you!

Hello,

at first, i would like to thank you for your superquick and extreme detailed support !

I have used patched image from link and now its working flawlessly ! Thank you!!

One last question - is it ok, to let it on automatical updates at this situation, or should I stay at this patch ?

Unless/Until the patch is merged, you need to turn off auto-update and stick with the image with this patch or build your own image based on newer CE source and manually add the patch

and is it possible to let auto update on, let it update - that will caused that LAN will stop working and than patch it manualy again with same patch ?

Hello!

It seems that since the last update the “Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling” option has disappeared from the “Settings > System > CoreELEC” menu.
Was it moved elsewhere? I searched through the Settings but I couldn’t find it. I absolutely need it…

Thanks in advance.

it’s written in release notes
the options are reworked and moved to expert display settings

Ok thanks.

Hey folks,

Recently updated my N2 to the latest 19.5_rc2 and the update went well. However now every time I try to start a movie or tv show from my server I only hear the sound but the TV get black. Also the Sony TV notifications pop up that no more device would be connected to the HDMI port.
As soon as I stop the playback the usual Kodi interface is being displayed and I can see and navigate it all fine.

I haven’t changed a setting and wondering if you guys have an idea what I can do to have playback working again?

Thanks!

Check your white list and resolutions. This normal happen if Kodi do switch to an unsupported resolution. Also you can try to limit colour depth to like 10 or 8 bit in display expert settings

Thanks for your input. It actually helped to force 8 bits color depth. Still strange though because it worked flawlessly the last years.

Anyway it’s fixed and I appreciate your help!

I developed the JL2101 patches for my S905X3 box (HK1 Box), and verified it work nicely

Hi,

I recently ordered couple of X96, S905X3 boxes, and I am actually a bit worried they could have JL2101 ethernet chip. I compiling own CE images (Leia based - 9.2 ng), would you be so kind to share your modifications related to JL2101 (maybe github?), so I could use them in my image, if I would be that unlucky and standard CE wouldnt work with ethernet? I dont mind wifi, or ethernet speed, really, but I need reliable and stable lan for sure.

https://github.com/7Ji/linux-amlogic/commit/3e1d125ed02c04e799ef1eb9fab936488ee11fbe

This patch itself should be enough to delay the loading of network module so JL2101 can be driven by the generic PHY driver on X3. Remember to set CONFIG_STMMAC_JL2XX1=y in your linux.conf

Why would you use old 9.2 source though? There might be some differences that cause the patch to not work

I also have source of a modified official JL2101 driver that can work on CE’s 4.9 kernel, but that seems to have no performance gain compared to generic driver, so I’m not suggesting to use it

Thank you! Hopefully I will get ethernet working eventually, out of the box or with the patch :slight_smile:

Why 9.2? Simple because I am using shared Kodi DB @MySQL, and I have older devices in the same “mesh” (Odroid C2’s and few Rpi2), which are not supported by ng CE… And honestly, for my needs Leia is sufficient (hopefully all major addons like youtube, scrappers are still working), so I am not in hurry to replace whole infrastructure at this point…

I guess next “big bang” would be with spread of AV1, and it will take years…

Good morning to all.
Sorry for my ignorance, but I’ve been tinkering with my Mekol KI pro box, Amlogic,S905D, with Coreelec installed in the Root.
I want to upgrade it so I can install CoreELEC 19.5-Matrix_rc2 .
I tried everything that says here, but it does not install I get the same image posted by the friend of the forum, ¨¨¨ raw row ¨¨.

I’m looking for the forum, the step by step clean update from scratch, I do not know how to do it. The problem is that I also get the page in English and the translator sometimes goes well and sometimes not.

I tried everything, I put an image where the guide tells you, but I get several zip files and I do not know which one to choose. I put through the Samba application this image ----- [CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.5-Matrix_rc2-Generic.img.gz] -----, reboot and nothing happened.

Then I did the same operation and installed the tar file, through Samba, I put this file ---- [CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.5-Matrix_rc2.tar] ----. Nothing happened either, I got the same as the friend fila cruda.

I think I put the file correctly, I put it in the Update folder. The only thing, I don’t know if I should extract the zip file and put it in the Update folder.

I hope you can help me or guide me the steps to follow, the only more complicated problem is to install from scratch.

Thank you very much for all the work you do.