CoreELEC 22.0-Piers_beta2 Discussion

Please use this thread for general CoreELEC 22.0-Piers_beta2 discussion

Before posting an error please follow these troubleshooting steps.

It would be nice to have support for 4g ram on S905Y5 devices. Currently I am using the dtb file ā€œs7_s905y5_2g.dtbā€ on a device with 4g ram. Everything seems fine except that it only uses 2g ram, wasting the other 2g.

Try
https://test.coreelec.org/vpeter/s7_s905y5_4g.dtb

Thank you. It seems to use all the available ram now.

However I noticed something different than before during the boot up and not sure if that is something to be concerned about. While the CoreELEC logo is being displayed, the top left corner of the screen seems to flicker very briefly but repeatedly every second. On closer observation it looks like it is doing the countdown but the screen is repainted so quickly that it is hard to tell exactly what it is. After about 20-30 seconds it proceeds to normal boot up. Anyway, I don’t think I’ll worry about it for now.

@Portisch I gave the latest -no beta release a shot on my Amlogic g12b device and CEC went all wonky so I did some digging.

Long story short it looks like the the g12b accidentally got reverted to using the CEC B IP in the chip when it should be using CEC A. You mentioned it a while ago here (I’d put a link here but I’m not allowed)

At some point ee_cec got added to the common dtsi to make them all use CEC B (I have a link to this too)

I noticed that amlogic have it commented out of their dtsi as well (same story, I have a link)

I was able to fix it in my setup by patching the dtb and booting with the clk_ignore_unused kernel param to stop the kernel gating the unclaimed clock. It definitely seems like a regression.

Not sure what that proper fix would look like in coreelec-ese (It’s my first time fixing something in coreelec, is usually just works for me :wink: )
But I doubt booting everything with ungated clocks is the answer… not sure what it did to get the clock previously, probably something in the cec driver.

If you know offhand what this fix would look like I’d appreciate you looking into it, otherwise if you can’t find the time I might be able to take a stab.

I can paste the links to the code snippets I’m talking about if I get some permissions, doesn’t seem like discourse wants me to paste them.

@reg242, device tree is now available in image 20260914.

IPTV Simple Client fails to load on CoreELEC 22.0-Piers_beta2

Device: Xiaomi TV Box S (3rd Gen)
SoC: Amlogic S905X5M
CoreELEC: 22.0-Piers_beta2
IPTV Simple Client: 22.6.4.3

The IPTV Simple Client fails to load.

Relevant Kodi log:
2026-09-19 12:10:30.353 T:2939 info : Addon Manager: Found addon: ā€˜pvr.iptvsimple v22.6.4.3’
2026-09-19 12:10:30.497 T:2938 info : Creating PVR client: addonId=pvr.iptvsimple, instanceId=1, clientId=1
2026-09-19 12:10:30.502 T:2938 error : Unable to load /storage/.kodi/addons/pvr.iptvsimple/pvr.iptvsimple.so.22.6.4, reason: liblzma.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
2026-09-19 12:10:30.553 T:1059 warning : CGUIMediaWindow::OnMessage - updating in progress
2026-09-19 12:12:02.111 T:1059 info : Samba is idle. Closing the remaining connections
2026-09-19 12:12:56.008 T:2938 error : ADDON_STATUS ADDON::IAddonInstanceHandler::CreateInstance(): pvr.iptvsimple returned bad status ā€œPermanent failureā€ during instance creation
2026-09-19 12:12:56.008 T:2938 error : ADDON_STATUS PVR::CPVRClient::Create(): Failed to create PVR add-on instance 1. status=5
2026-09-19 12:12:56.049 T:1059 warning : CGUIMediaWindow::OnMessage - updating in progress
2026-09-19 12:13:20.732 T:2983 error : CCurlFile::Open - https://addons.coreelec.org/Amlogic-no/22.0.12/aarch64/pvr.sledovanitv.cz/resources/logo.png Failed with code 404:

Thank you!

Use nightly build.

Should I file an issue for the g12b CEC regression in the common_driver repo? I can work on a PR but I fear I might inadvertently cause some breakageas as I have no other devices to test on… but it might be a better place to discuss the issue.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

Can you get a new 16/32Gb sd card and load a new instance of NG on it?

I could, but I’m not sure what that would accomplish

I have CoreELEC 22.0-Piers_beta1 installed on my Ugoos AM6B+ and it is set to auto-update, but it has not updated to Piers_beta2. Is this a known issue, please?

https://paste.coreelec.org/2/KmzA

Only because I always confirm issues are not with any thing I added or failure of any other source on my current SD.
A new one with a Clean install always determines you(me) were right or wrong.
Also handy if a release crashes CE.

Well, it seems I cannot get an answer about the auto-update option not working, so perhaps someone could tell me if, other than a backup which of course I will do, would reformatting my USB drive and installing beta2 in its place cause any data loss of my existing library?

Why not just update manually for now? And you will see if RC will be installed automatically.

I am guessing the only way to update manually is to reformat the drive and reinstall the update. If there is an easier method, please let me know, but as I asked in my previous question, will a reformat/reinstall of the current update remove my library and any other important files?

By the way, what is RC?

RC = Release Candidate.