CoreELEC Amlogic-ng(4.9 kernel) for S905X/S905D/S905W - FunHouse builds

V19 is not gonna happen anytime soon on Amlogic.

The next funhouse build will be with kodi 18.7 and will be based on the upcomming CoreELEC 9.2.3 release.

It will pretty much be an amlogic-ng build of CoreELEC 9.2.3 with support for the S905X/S905D/S905W devices.

There will be kodi v19 builds in the future, I’ve just not been that interested in matrix to do any yet.

6 Likes

Since V19 seems to be quite a ways down the road, would you consider backporting a screensaver fix? The issue is that kodi uses the dim screensaver regardless of what has been selected by the user via the GUI when a movie is being played or there is a pop-up.
I was given these two gits which may help with doing that.

I use a black screen screensaver and it works fine during video playback. There’s a setting that needs to be adjusted in the Video settings in Kodi to make it work during video pause.

While the download is down, quick question, does VP9 playback work with these -ng builds? I’m currently running non ng on my lepotato and the only issue I have is that when I start 4k VP9 videos everything is garbled (probably due to sharing the same image with S905 which doesn’t support vp9).

Are you are refering to ‘Use dim if paused during video playback’?
If so it doesn’t work when screensaver ‘Turn Off’ is used.

The author of ‘Turn Off’ referred me to the Gits I provided above.
The issue is resolved in V19, and I was hoping I could get my TV to turn off via CEC in V18.* as we seem to be stuck with it for awhile.

You can see here where the author of Turn off talks about the issue at the end of the thread.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=331076

Yes, that’s what I mean. But I guess we’re talking about different screensavers, because I use Black Screen, not turn off.
Black screen works just fine for me.

The black screen saver does not turn off my TVs. I would like to have them turned of via CEC because of the power savings and reduced wear/tear. I am sure I am not the only one who might pause a movie, and become distracted by life. Saving power here and there adds up quickly over time.

Any chance of a backport so the Turn Off screensaver could work again?

CoreELEC already implements the fix linked above, and Turn Off screensaver is not a built-in part of Kodi, so I don’t understand what you expect us to do to fix it.

I will ask the dev of Turn Off if he will come over to this thread. Perhaps if we can get everyone in the same room, we can figure out where the problem actually is, and avoid this circular argument.

Above link to download this image is dead. Please check. Thanks.

It will be available later today. We still didn’t restore this subdomain since the recent server crash.

2 Likes

Okay tested it on a new sd, doesn’t seem to be working. Just in case somebody wants to know in the future

@cdu13a
I compiled an image from current amlogic-ng-on-gxl branch and I’m happy to report that the issues with the USB DVB tuner are now completely gone.
Ng now works absolutely great on Le Potato 1Gb.

The only issue I see is a very long pause (1 minute or something like that) before CE start to boot - that didn’t happen in previous Funhouse 4.9 builds.

@smp Thanks for the feedback. Sending you a test build to see if this issue was resolved on the 1GB Le Potato, was actually on my todo list for today. :grinning:

The long pause on boot is being looked at. I’ve got a few more of the developers on board for trying to make a push to get the GXL support merged into the main CoreELEC code base. So hopefully this and a couple of the other outstanding issues can get resolved and we can then add the GXL devices to the list of devices supported by the amlogic-ng build’s.

3 Likes

Is there any chance of getting a build that would work with the S805X / La Frite?

The La Frite board has some unique aspects to it that makes creating a CoreELEC build for it a bit more challenging, then what would normally be the case for other devices. I can try and take another look at creating a build for it, however I can’t currently give any timeline as to when that may be. :frowning_face:

2 Likes

Anything you could do would be greatly appreciated. It’s currently sitting on my desk next to an unused RPi, and it would be great to get it running CoreELEC.

Would appreciate a build on an S805 MXQ at you spare time.

The original S805 is Meson8 rather than GXL so probably wont happen. The S805X is GXL and effectively a nerfed S905X.

1 Like