CoreElec and HDR10+ / HDR10 Plus

I am saying set the N2 to 4:2:2 and then set the Denon to Enhanced. You will get a picture (as long as you have HDMI 2.0 cables). You don’t have a picture with 4:4:4 and Enhanced, because that is over the HDMI 2.0 specs…but that’s ok - because there is zero quality loss with movies TV changing from 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 (since everything is encoded at 4:2:0 anyway).

When you go to 4:2:2 (with enhanced on your amp) you’ll see the bit depth go up to 10 (HDR) or even 12 bits (SDR) - and that’s the key thing you want that actually does change quality.

So set 4:2:2 in CE, set Enhanced in the amp, and reboot and all will be well. Don’t chase 4:4:4 as there is zero benefit to it anyway…

OK, I have set 4:2:2 in CE and Enhanced in Denon.
Some of the content sometimes is displayed in upper-left 1/4 of the TV screen - it’s not happening always but randomly, so I think my HDMI cables are the cause…
I’m going to buy some 2.1 cables as they are not so expensive nowadays.
Thanks again for excellent explanation :slight_smile:

Search forum for “1/4” because i thinks thats a different problem

Yep I don’t think that is cables…maybe you sill have the UI at 4K? The UI should be at 1080p, that’s often stated…

GUI is set to 1920x1080p 60Hz
Still sometimes some 4K content is in 1/4 screen:

Some other content is causing black screen (but this can be explained as it is 4K HDR 60Hz)
Cables ordered, once I will connect them I will check with “Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling” disabled and Denon “4K/8K Signal Format” set to Enhanced.

Did you perform a screen calibration? If you did please remove all the lines referring to screen calibration in advanced settings.xml . For it like this : Gui at 3840 x 2160 - #16 by boot2k3

Nothing related to screen calibration in advancedsettings.xml
In guisettings.xml there is a section containing screen resolutions:

<resolutions>
    <resolution>
        <description>720x480 @ 59.94i - Full Screen</description>
        <subtitles>463</subtitles>
        <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
        <overscan>
            <left>0</left>
            <top>0</top>
            <right>720</right>
            <bottom>480</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
    <resolution>
        <description>720x576 @ 50.00i - Full Screen</description>
        <subtitles>555</subtitles>
        <overscan>
            <left>0</left>
            <top>0</top>
            <right>720</right>
            <bottom>576</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
    <resolution>
        <description>3840x2160 @ 59.94 - Full Screen</description>
        <subtitles>1042</subtitles>
        <overscan>
            <left>0</left>
            <top>0</top>
            <right>1920</right>
            <bottom>1080</bottom>
        </overscan>
    </resolution>
</resolutions>

(above contain a part of this section)
Should I remove it and restart Kodi?
Will it solve the issue with 1/4 screen?

Sorry, it’s guisettings.xml. do as the link said, stop Kodi first. And delete that part.

Nope,
Still 1/4 screen with: Samsung: Wonderland HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media
CoreELEC “Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling” is enabled,
Denon AVR-X2700H 4K/8K Signal Format is set to “Enhanced”
Kodi GUI is set to 1920x1080p 60Hz

I wonder how it will be with new HDMI cables. Probably I will get them on Monday.

Try switching to the default skin and try again.

2 Likes

Yep, this makes a difference - in Estuary default skin as well as in Confluence that Wonderland demo clip is properly displayed, so more interesting is that once I have switch back to Xonfluence skin it is even here now correct.
Anyway it’s kind of inconsistent behavior…
Thanks guys,

Swapping skins will have forced a clear out of dodgy settings.

You’ll most likely be right from here.

(I still wouldn’t chase 4:4:4 4K @ 60 - I am pretty sure it’s the Denon Amp that can’t cope with that (see the reported issues with this amp and the latest consoles…) - and it’s also absolutely pointless, as it will change nothing about the quality of playback).

New HDMI 2.1 cables connected.
Settings:
CoreELEC “Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling” is enabled,
Denon AVR-X2700H 4K/8K Signal Format is set to “8K Enhanced”

Result with Sony: Mont Blanc HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media
HDR_Format_Commercial : HDR10
Bit rate : 71.8 Mb/s
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 50.000 FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : PQ
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

is: no output, just black screen.
The same: no output for 59.94fps: Sony: Camping In Nature HDR UHD 4K Demo | 4K Media

Other type of 4K content like no-HDR, HDR10, 24fps or HDR10+ and 24fps is OK.

I don’t get why there is black screen for 4K HDR, 50fps?

Is it because Denon is not able to handle that frame rate? Then it is very disappointment as it should handle 4K 50Hz/60Hz (I have found it has a problem with 4K 120Hz but, come on, why black screen for 4K 50Hz?)

CoreELEC “Use 4:2:2 colour subsampling” is disabled,
Denon AVR-X2700H 4K/8K Signal Format is set to “8K Enhanced”

Results:
4K HDR10 and HDR10+ at 24fps → no output, just black screen.
HDR10 50fps and 60fps → yes, there is output but with bit depth reduced to 8 bits.

So setting to 8K/Enhanced mode is really pointless for any normal 4k content (including 4k/60hz/12 bit).

Set that back to Enhanced. Leave the 4:2:2 as enabled on in CE.

You should then be able to play back all those tests, including the Sony 4K @ 50hz one, and the receiver should show 12 bits (mine does) when doing so.

(The other thing to check is your HDMI mode on the TV itself for that input - it should be set to mode2 if its like mine - mode1 is HDMI 1.4, mode2 is HDMI 2.0 - see e.g. How do I enable 4K Pure Direct on my TV?)

You should then be able to play back 4K @ 50/60, with high bit depth…and again, ignore 4:4:4 as it provides absolutely no benefit.

oeps didnt read good enoff… (can removed)

Bingo!
Setting HDMI 2 to mode 2 solved the issue - now 4K@50/60fps is not causing only a black screen.
I’m not able to set “4K Pure Direct” to “On” as this option is grayed out but as mode 2 on HDMI 2 did the trick I’m satisfied.
Once again (I can’t even count how many times I did that :slight_smile: ) big thanks!

Glad you got there.

(Why would you use pure direct (which means audio without any processing is sent to the speakers)…
Given the audio processing is pretty much the point of the receiver…)

This amuses me, Panasonic Oleds come in mode 2 as standard. Too much tinkering and not enough understanding got you into this mess. Lessons there! Don’t touch. Also, you don’t want Pure Direct as stated above.

1 Like

Whilst in a way I agree (too much tinkering with things without knowing their meaning is dangerous when it comes to these things, and defaults are best left alone unless you know how to carefully test the alternatives) - it’s fair to say both the Panny and the Denon are pretty awful at explaining what things do, and confusing as hell really. I mean, why call it ‘mode1’ and ‘mode2’ if it means simply ‘HDMI 1.4’ and ‘HDMI 2’ or some sort of other, meaningful name - or have help text right there explaining it…I mean the entire home theatre industry is just awful at explaining itself really.

Anyway, the person asked for help (with enough info to work out the likely issue) & got it and said thanks, and all is well with the world - it’s kinda how forums are supposed to work, right? And now the info is here for future folks who also need to work it out…although TBH CoreElec could do with its own FAQ really…

No issues, happy they got it working. Just saying from experience, leave default settings and everything will generally work, and will lead to less stress and frustration for the end user. Panasonic default is Mode2. It’s set to that for a reason. It’s backwards compatible. HDMI spec has nothing to do with CoreElec.