CoreElec and HDR10+ / HDR10 Plus

So setting to 8K/Enhanced mode is really pointless for any normal 4k content (including 4k/60hz/12 bit).

Set that back to Enhanced. Leave the 4:2:2 as enabled on in CE.

You should then be able to play back all those tests, including the Sony 4K @ 50hz one, and the receiver should show 12 bits (mine does) when doing so.

(The other thing to check is your HDMI mode on the TV itself for that input - it should be set to mode2 if its like mine - mode1 is HDMI 1.4, mode2 is HDMI 2.0 - see e.g. How do I enable 4K Pure Direct on my TV?)

You should then be able to play back 4K @ 50/60, with high bit depth…and again, ignore 4:4:4 as it provides absolutely no benefit.

oeps didnt read good enoff… (can removed)

Bingo!
Setting HDMI 2 to mode 2 solved the issue - now 4K@50/60fps is not causing only a black screen.
I’m not able to set “4K Pure Direct” to “On” as this option is grayed out but as mode 2 on HDMI 2 did the trick I’m satisfied.
Once again (I can’t even count how many times I did that :slight_smile: ) big thanks!

Glad you got there.

(Why would you use pure direct (which means audio without any processing is sent to the speakers)…
Given the audio processing is pretty much the point of the receiver…)

This amuses me, Panasonic Oleds come in mode 2 as standard. Too much tinkering and not enough understanding got you into this mess. Lessons there! Don’t touch. Also, you don’t want Pure Direct as stated above.

1 Like

Whilst in a way I agree (too much tinkering with things without knowing their meaning is dangerous when it comes to these things, and defaults are best left alone unless you know how to carefully test the alternatives) - it’s fair to say both the Panny and the Denon are pretty awful at explaining what things do, and confusing as hell really. I mean, why call it ‘mode1’ and ‘mode2’ if it means simply ‘HDMI 1.4’ and ‘HDMI 2’ or some sort of other, meaningful name - or have help text right there explaining it…I mean the entire home theatre industry is just awful at explaining itself really.

Anyway, the person asked for help (with enough info to work out the likely issue) & got it and said thanks, and all is well with the world - it’s kinda how forums are supposed to work, right? And now the info is here for future folks who also need to work it out…although TBH CoreElec could do with its own FAQ really…

No issues, happy they got it working. Just saying from experience, leave default settings and everything will generally work, and will lead to less stress and frustration for the end user. Panasonic default is Mode2. It’s set to that for a reason. It’s backwards compatible. HDMI spec has nothing to do with CoreElec.

At least they got it working and from the sounds of it was a simple fix.

CoreElec crashes/restarts when i try to play any HDR10+ file (like the ISS 4K HDR10plus sample) on a MECOOL M8S pro+. I have CE 19.2 matrix rc2 installed and all my kit is HDR compatibile (Sony KD65X9000F TV, Pioneer VSX-933, premium HDMI cables etc). If i play the file through the TV media player it works (i.e. not through the mecool). I’ve been through all the settings in CE and no combination of changes will make it work. Anything else i can check?

1 Like

Did you try the device connected directly to the tv not the avr?

Yes I did, same result :frowning_face:

SSH into the device, run journalctl -kf, which will start dumping all dmesg output into the SSH session. Maybe this will allow us to catch the kernel oops before it restarts.
Post the output after the box reboots.

Also, what Android version does your box have? You need at least Android 7.1.1.

hmmm… i haven’t updated android since i bought it as i just boot straight into CE so i suspect it shipped with android 7.1 only. I’ll try updating android first and then do the journalctl -kf dump as well when i get a chance. thanks for the suggestions!

I’ve confirmed that i have android 7.1.1. Kernel version 3.14.29. I’ve run the journal dump just before starting the video and below is the output:

Jul 17 09:29:24 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback enable
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback disable
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback enable
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback disable
Jul 17 09:29:25 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:29:26 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback enable
Jul 17 09:29:26 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback disable
Jul 17 09:29:26 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: audio_dsp: buf=0
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: audio_dsp: IEC958_mode_raw=0
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: audio_dsp: IEC958_mode_codec= 0, IEC958 type 2 CH PCM
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: audio_dsp: last mode 0,now 0
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs
Jul 17 09:35:42 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback enable
Jul 17 09:35:43 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: aiu 958 playback disable
Jul 17 09:35:43 mecool kernel: snd_spdif_dai: set normal 512 fs /4 fs

that’s all there is and then the box starts up and no further entries are written. Does the above log help at all?

There are a few other users with the same problem, but nothing useful shows up in the logs.
Can you try a clean install with CE 19?

This was a clean install with CE 19 as I was using libreelec but then wiped the TF card and put the CE 19 matrix RC2 image on it.

Any chance that you could try older versions? 9.2.7 NG, 19.0, 19.1.
It seems to work right now in 9.2.7 non-NG, but it could be useful to know when the issue started with the 4.9 kernel.

@TheCoolest As you know I reported that 9.2.7 non-NG worked fine with HDR10+ in another thread. I tried another run with 9.2.7 NG and it failed playing the same HDR10+ content. So, my guess is something to do with kernel 4.9, rather than Kodi version, that does not work well with old s905x. if you need anything else, let me know.

I have a s905D device.This problem only occurs when using a TV or display that not support HDR10+.
If the TV support HDR10+, the file will be play without problem and show the indicator HDR10+.

Hi guys, sorry for reviving the old thread. I couldn’t find the answer whether Samsung TVs with HDMI 2.0a/b ports support HDR10+ over hdmi running Coreelec. With the local apps and a player I see the HDR10+ sign. I am currently using s912 box running 9.2.8 version and everything works despite hdr10+ , that’s why I am thinking about upgrading to newer chipsets which support hdr10+ but still not sure does the TV support it over hdmi?

This is something I’m curious to know the answer to as well.

I never see the HDR Adaptive Logo when playing content from my Nokia 8010 within CoreELEC - have never tried whilst booted into Android.

But all the built in TV Apps on my Philips TV do display the HDR+ Adaptive logo.

1 Like