Coreelec in Amlogic X96 max Plus S905X3

In an X96 max Plus tv box, to install coreelec, if not in the list, what is the generic S905X3?

If you have an S905X3 Chip then Download the Generic S905X3 using Download Helper.

After you Burn Image

You will see a folder with Device Trees

Open it and copy the correct Device Tree that matches your Device Specs.

Paste it to the root of the SD Card and make sure you

Rename it to dtb.img

Done

Thank you.

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Coreelec on Tanix TX3 S905X3

I just used the forum search tool and you opened a thread asking about this box and were given answers with details regarding device tree.

I’m fascinated to hear why you came here asking for answers already supplied to you HERE

i am following the conversation from the 4/32 thread of this x96 max plus…
mine IS the one you suspected… 2GB RAM, 16 GB ROM, no BT, 10/100 LAN card…
I can only see ( - ) on the dtb file tree with generic S905X3 from row Device and row SOC…
Is that means i do not need dtb file ?

After burning the image there will be a device tree folder, choose the closest one to your device, based on ram & lan size, if one doesn’t work try another

Thanks, I’ve got it working.
Posted here:

I got 2 questions regarding X96 max plus (s905x3 4gb-1gbit lan):

1 - when I choose to use “sm1_s905x3_4g_1gbit.dtb” the box doesn’t boot up but just freezes, but when I use “sm1_s905x3_4g.dtb” it works with a slight problem that I don’t get full 1gbit lan.

2 - S905x3 has 4x 1,8ghz processor, when coreelec is running, I am getting 1ghz with 1 core working and sometimes if restart, I manage to get 2 cores running on 1,2ghz. How can I get all cores working?
Coreelec hardware/CPU governor setting is set to Performance.

Any update on this? I am about to purchase the same box to replace my Tanix TX92 with S912.

Better buy an X96 air S905x3, modify the thermal and you are good to go.

Hello,
For starters, please forgive me, English is not my native language so I helped myself with google translators.
I bought a new TV box X96 Max Plus S905X3 4GB / 32GB with 1GBits LAN. I only used Android once the first time I turned it on to test if it worked. Then I installed CE 19.1-Matrix_rc4 from the SD card without any problems and after the basic setup and test playback of the 4K HDR movie mkv, I used ceemmc -x to upload to eMMC by overwriting Android. So far I have been satisfied.
The problem occurred only when playing an HD 1920x1080p movie, when running the Player process info function, it indicates the correct resolution of 1920x1080, but the color range BT2020 and HDR. But the TV indicates the correct HD 1920x1080p without HDR and the movie image is fine, the colors are natural.
Then, after stopping playback, I noticed that with the GUI (set to 1920x1080p 60Hz) the TV indicates HDR, and then I found out that after turning on from the initial image with the X96 logo, the box is still in HDR mode. I tried to reinstall CE and version 9.2.7 again, but the box is still in HDR mode in every resolution.
Does anyone have any idea how to solve this?

Thanks

You’re not gonna like the answer. This is easily fixable. Boot into Android and set up HDR from always start HDR to adaptive start HDR. But since you have overwritten Android, you have to reinstall Android first to do so.

For future reference, it’s always a good idea to keep Android and setup ceemmc as dual boot.

Thank you for your response. I planned this as the next step, but I wondered if there was any way to fix it in CE. I don’t need Android and I don’t want it to take up space in my memory unnecessarily.

Hello, i just purchased my x96 max plus and tried installing from usb the Coreelec. I followed all the steps indicated but my device keeps rebooting while i have the reset button pressed (toothpick method). Same thing happens when i also use the Terminal Emulator android app. I followed instructions from here How to install CoreELEC and seen some youtube videos. I also used the sm1_s905x3_4g.dtb file but this didn’t work either.
I don’t have an SD card available right now. Any reason why this doesn’t work? I used the latest coreelec version (CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-19.1-Matrix-Generic.img)

Use the usb2 port. Either sd card in a reader or an 8/16Gb usb stick.

All versions now seem to come with 100mbit Ethernet? Or am I imagining things? Are their any cheap Android boxes that have gigabit?

100mb should cover all your box needs.

I share my personal experience.
I have an X96 Max Plus 2_T, 4Gb RAM 64Gb ROM, with CoreElec 19.4 RC2 everything works, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, installed on emmc.
Zero problems.
Instead with CoreEle 9.2.8 only ethernet works.

Then you are lucky guy, thanks for reporting that X96 Max Plus2_ T is fully working with CE19.
But there are much more permutations out there…