Development build 12/05/18

Please send an invite and I can join to slack conversation.
Until these development builds I have no banding issues.
As I said from LE 7 to CE 8.90.2 I have no problem with HDR banding.
Maybe others haven’t try that testing mp4 file…

The banding being showed in this builds i’ts the side effect of code changes made by OSMC team to avoid flickering mainly with HDR & OLED TV, reported in VERO 4K forums.

Before this test build, you should see flickering with the testing MP4, instead of banding.
Once they fixed one, the other appears and then manual setting of round1 is needed (you already know that).

I haven’t experienced flickering with any previous build. Or is it affecting only OLED tvs?

I think every 4K TV will have the issue, but in OSMC forums they talk about “LG users” but they are all OLED models (B6, E6, B7…)

**Since the February update there is now banding showing for 4K 10bit HDR files, it seems to be OK for 4K 10bit SDR files.
This is with ‘444,10bit 26’ enabled, checked through AVR osd.
This seems to be related to the now solved HDR flickering that was a problem for many LG users.**

I don’t have a LG but a SONY OLED and I’m affected with flickering in some HDR movies.

I have this issue since LibreELEC 8.0.x, but now (with 8.90.x) is much less frequent and less of a static/digital noise and more that VERY distorted sound (the sound wave form does not get produced as it should).
After you play/stop another video (I often choose a H264 with AC3 or DTS), the H265 video plays just fine.

This cause my cats to run for their lives (after all, they just have 9 of them) and me to cry for my B&W speaker system (I guess I’ll die before the cats).

BTW, I have a YAMAHA RX-775 receiver.

I have LG tv but it is not OLED model but SUHD (60SJ810).

@jopereira

Strange - had the same “standing vertically in bed“ audio issue. But it is solved with this dev build for me. Had to switch to analog PCM 7.1 channel in audio config. AVR showing PCM then. Can enable passtrough. Dolby digital and dts ok.
No more digital noise when changing videos with different audio output. I own a Pioneer Vsx AVR.

I have the same problem with NF. the latest widevine from ChromeOS is installed. login to NF and selecting a movie is ok, but when starting a movie, Kodi crashes and restarts. no problem with 8.90.2.

:joy: Exactly the same situation here. This very distorted sound rarely happens, yes.
When it happens, my cats always give me that specific look, like: “dude, wtf?! :exploding_head: is the world going down now?” I give them an unimpressed look back and they run away.
I can’t say the crackling got less frequent after changing to ce 8.9.x.
Maybe I use wrong audio settings,

Thx, gotta check that. I just remember going by some kodi chart for audio settings some time ago.
Btw I have an Onkyo TX-NR636.

I forgot to say that in this build Spotify addon from marcelveldt is running again.
Songs will play, device is seen in Spotify connect
I had to edit advancedsettings.xml

<network>
            <autodetectpingtime>30</autodetectpingtime>
            <curlclienttimeout>10</curlclienttimeout>
            <curllowspeedtime>3</curllowspeedtime>
            <curlretries>3</curlretries>
            <disableipv6>true</disableipv6>
    </network>
    <cache>
            <buffermode>1</buffermode>
             <memorysize>80971520</memorysize>
             <readfactor>10</readfactor>
    </cache>
1 Like

Oh my god - you will not believe how much of a relief it is for me to read this! :slight_smile:

I thought I was alone in the world with this issue!
Back in the days when I reported it, nobody else could reproduce it and I concluded something must be wrong with my box…
However, I could reproduce it myself on another box since then.

If this kernel fixes the flickering, i BEG you @admag - please keep building on this kernel! :slight_smile:
I’m really excited and I will test right away!

BTW, I have an LG OLED (B6) and I reported this about a year ago here:

You are not alone dude!!! CE team is working hard to bring a lot of improvements.

It really is awesome to hear that! :slight_smile:

I just tested the build and I can confirm what Arien and Pelican have reported already:
Banding is present, but gone once I enter the “round1” line while the video is playing.

However, more importantly (for me) - the flickering seems to be gone!! YAY! :smile:
Also, is it possible that the thin vertical lines (used to be visible on bright backgrounds in 2160p content) are also gone in this kernel? Or did I just not test the right video to see them yet? Can anyone else confirm?

I haven’t found a suitable place yet within the Kodi code where to insert the round1 code, I also need to add an exclusion so this is not executed on S912 as I don’t believe it is necessary on those devices (unsure). I also need to add a second exclusion so it is only executed when bt2020 content is detected.

We will be using this kernel now in future releases given how much better it is, but the round1 issue may remain if we can’t solve it in time for our next release schedule.

1 Like

I can also confirm this issue.
If the HDMI output device is selected, my 7.1 audio streams (usually opus) just stay silent.
If I select the standard output device (PCM/analog) instead, the 7.1 streams play just fine.

It’s not a big deal, I just wanted to mention it too… Definitely no priority, since it works with the one output device. :slight_smile:

That is very good news, thank you so much! :smile:

There is one more issue I would like to bring to your attention.
I am not sure if you are aware of it.
It is also something that has been there since forever and I just tested it in the new kernel - it’s still the case.
Basically, image quality of HEVC files is flawed.
I explained it all in detail here a long time ago:

It’s not a major issue, people mostly don’t see it - but if you get close enough to a good TV it’s definitely visible, especially on straight edges.

I just thought I’d bring it up again, maybe there is something you can do about it. :slight_smile:
Thank you kindly.

As for S912: The round1 workaround is not necessary
As for S905: I dont know if you have already seen it: Sam used “AMLCodec.cpp” within videoplayer and “EGLNativeTypeAmlogic.cpp” within windowing to implement his kodi fixes. Maybe they have to be modified in order to be compatible with Leia:
Commit: videoplayer_bandingfix
There is an update to this commit too. But because I dont have the rights to post more than 2 links in one post I had to remove the link :frowning:

Commit: menu_bandingfix

I have seen this and already tried to implement it but things have changed in Leia and it needs to be moved somewhere else.

Thanks @anon88919003 et al.
Just updated to this development build and working A-Ok on Wetek Play 2.

Image quality is superb and LiveTV is brilliant!
As I’ve got a S905 box I can’t comment on HDR content :wink:

I noticed another issue with the build/kernel.
I don’t know the behavior of the previous Leia builds, because I am basically coming directly from Krypton…

The build seems to be designed to detect video color depth and output the original depth, correct? (8bit or 10bit).
I have found that this works in some cases, while it does not in others.
Some 10bit videos are just played as 8bit (AVR confirms 24bit vs. 30bit).

Are you aware of that?

I have been testing devbuilds with osmc kernel (s905).
I have to say i am impressed. It’s a very smooth experience overall. And it could be just my eyes playing tricks, but images seem more intense and warmer colors. Just to test i put .2 and a identical box with the latest devel next to each other playing the same (.x264) file and the one with osmc kernel really is on top.

Glad continued work will be on this kernel :slight_smile:

Thanks to devs involved.

Regards,

Atreyu