Disable release notes at startup

Hi there,

since version 9.2.1, I got its release notes at every startup/boot.
I searched for the right setting to disable it, but found nothing.

Can anybody help me with this?

Thanks,
WebEye

The release notes should only appear after upgrade, if you reboot they shouldn’t appear. And they appear in kodi restarts, not reboots, after upgrade until your next reboot.

1 Like

he maybe thinks booting log, right? Why is it there when booting?

sry,
I try to explain it more detailed; I upgrade from 9.2.0 to 9.2.1.
Since then this appears on every Kodi Startup, not only one time:

maybe I had to delete a file or something?

Thanks for support,
WebEye

Restart CoreELEC from the Kodi menu. Turning off and on from the IR remote control does not save changes.

1 Like

har, har,
how simple!

Thanks for advice,
WebEye

After every upgrade - when the release notes are shown - the KODI interface freezes.
I can only prevent this, if I press “backspace” on the remote immediately when the release notes are shown.
After a few seconds, this workaround does not work either.
Various boxes with S905W are used, remotes are similar “air mouse with keyboard”.
Mouse and keys other than “backspace” do not work.
A config option to disable release notes at startup would be great.

Did you shut the system down from the menu, and then restart the system from a complete power down? You have to do this, or the release notes will show every time. Just turn it off from the menu, and your issue should go away until the next update.

The release notes block everything - there is no shutdown possible except e.g. via ssh.
Pressing “backspace” quick enough after a reboot disables the release notes until the next update.

Step 1. Close the release notes.
Step 2. Look in the corner.
Step 3. Find the power button in the corner.
Step 4. Click on it via a mouse or other input device.
Step 5. Click on Power off system.
Step 6. Wait for the system to shut down.
Step 7. Turn the system back on.

Follow those steps, and you should no longer see the release notes upon startup.

When updating to 20.1 today, I had the same behavior again: update notes block kodi.
There is no keyboard and no mouse activity possible, only remote ssh login.
Maybe it helps others: login via ssh and “shutdown -h now” - then power on the device and the update notes are no more there.

Adding onto say release notes + PlexMod set to autostart can cause a hardlock. Everything freezes, cannot restart.

Have to pull the power plug to shut down. But then on next boot, release notes shows again and you enter a hardlock loop. I needed to reflash Kodi in order to escape this loop since the entire system freezes as soon as the release notes show.

Please add an option to disable release notes. It should be user choice similar to update notifications.

Imho there is no need at all for this msg at start. Feels like a popup (maybe because it is)
I would vote for completely removing it,especially since it seems to block things sometimes

Does anyone know a temporary workaround, or if we can disable this startup release notes via an autostart.sh script?

I’m building a Kodi-box for family/friends to access my Plex server, and I’m either not able to set the Plex app to start on bootup, or I have to disable automatic updates.

Otherwise like mentioned above, it hardlocks the system repeatedly as soon as an update is installed. Release notes pop-up, interfere with the video add-on startup, and then freeze/hardlock loop.

I know the team’s focus is on DolbyVision right now, but the release note behavior is seriously annoying since it can lock the entire OS from a pop-up message.

Instead of using nightly and disable updates

Would the Stable version work for Friends/ Family
Box you are setting up.

Change log notice

I wonder if turning off notifications in system settings would do anything :thinking:

That works for app update notifications, not system update. I have notifications disabled in both System and CoreElec settings.

I’m not using nightly, stable versions will show release notes as well when they update. Eg from 21-rc2 to 21-rc3.

Yes you are correct
For addons notifications

Stable will be less frequent i suppose

Still does not solve anything

Must be no way to change??