DIY Thermal Modifications

Do you know how to see current cpu frequency on Kodi Matrix? That info is removed from “About” sections

My way is:
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/cpuinfo_cur_freq

This is the contents of my autostart.sh

#!/bin/sh

echo 5 > /sys/class/mpgpu/cur_freq

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu1/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu2/cpufreq/scaling_governor

echo performance > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu3/cpufreq/scaling_governor

This is all I do to enhance performance and never apply overclocking.

Shoog

Does the X96 Air have no cooler on the chip at all?

Barely, it has a small metal plate which is linked by a heat pad. Not really adquate in terms of scale or attachment. Also you will notice that it has no ventilation holes anywhere.

Shoog

My x96 max+ used to get to 75C and after I bought a pine64 30mm radiator and replaced the crappy stock one with it the max temp after 15-minute CPU stress gets as high as 55C so I am happy now.

20210417_103513

X95 Max Plus

Starting temps were capping at 75c watching videos on Kodi with the box upside down, the governor was set to performance as default and throttling down to 1000 (from 1900) I lowered the max Freq to 1500, minimum to 1000 and set the governor to schedutil (had to set on boot and reboot for this setting to stick) this brough my temps down to around 70c.

Then I put the box on its side to allow top and bottom to breathe and this lowered the temps to around 65c when watching a video.

Finally my heatsinks arrived and it was time to get chopping. I used a 2mm shim on the CPU to raise the heatsink up so it didn’t touch any other components and stuck it down with thermal glue/plaster which takes at least 24 hours to fully set, I left mine for about 36 hours. The heatsink is 35x35x15mm which pretudes. I also bought a 45x45x10mm heatsink which I chopped up into smaller pieces for the RAM top and bottom as the RAM temps were usually 1c higher than the CPU so I wanted to let it breathe a little, I was hoping I could just drill air holes for these but I needed to cut holes for them. Fyi both heatsinks were 1mm shorter than advertised, so I got a 14mm and a 9mm one and for drilled air holes I used a 2mm drill bit. And the other idea I had was to mount the box using the bracket holes in the back of the TV so both sides could breathe and it would hide the box. To my surprise the IR remote still works even with no line of sight, which didn’t matter for me as I’m using HDMI CEC but whenever I need the mouse it’s nice to know I don’t need to move lol.

Testing this morning with the same governor and frequencies and watching a 3gb 40min video like before, I was seeing temps maxing at around 58c. I set the governor to performance and back to 1900, the temps went to around 61c watching a video.

Currently I’ve set the governor to performance max Freq 1400 as this brings my temps down to around 55c without sacrificing any performance, menus still load just as fast, it just runs cooler. I’m going to tweak it a bit still, I might use a scaling governor and lower the frequency further if I get no lag with a 4k video, then if I want to play a game I will just put the Freq back up. I also feel I might have some luck with the interactive governor, set the max Freq to 1900, minimum to 250 and see what the temps are, providing I don’t get stutters from the minimum Freq being so low.

1 Like

Well done, Sir!

I find S905x2 runs quite a bit lower temps than S905x3. I have S905x2 X96 max and all I did was to remove bottom case, replace heatsink with a bigger one, and turn the box upside down. I set governor to “ondemand” and temps never get higher than 42C. With my S905x3 X96 air, I did the same and temps never get above 50C.

My X96max + box was heating up, similar to others, around 65C - 75C … sometimes while watching video files I had image clipping :frowning:
I decided to make a housing modification for my X96max +
and I used an aluminum housing that was supposed to be in full contact with the processor, so it should all be a heat sink!
The temperatures currently range from 35C to 42C :slight_smile:
On the warmest days of this summer, the temperature did not reach more than 45C! … currently the box stands on the floor for testing purposes and has a 32C idle status

This is what the end result looks like

4 Likes

Looks very professional device :slight_smile:

1 Like

Maybe it looks like it, but all parts are at a budget price from Aliexpress … I couldn’t spend more on parts than on the box :slight_smile:
In fact, the most time and commitment is during the construction itself, measuring and planning what to screw / drill where, etc. … but there is fun and satisfaction with the final result :slight_smile:
regards!

3 Likes

best mod I’ve seen but wouldn’t it have been better to just buy an Odroid N2+ ?

1 Like

how did you bond the cylinder (between the case and soc), did you use a thermal pad also?

An aluminum rod with a diameter of 40 mm / 20 mm, turned into a cone on a lathe so that it can be attached to the processor, is attached to the housing with three screws.
The processor is attached to the rod by tightening the main board of the player box.
For better heat dissipation, I used a thermal conductive paste.
I don’t know if I can post links on the forum …
materials used for this mod:

1 Like

this is one heck of a solution! love it
really appreciate you sharing the parts!

Last question if I may, where did you get your x96 max+ from?
I’m really interested in buying either the x96 Air or the x96 max+, I got one from a seller in AliExpress but was sent a clone, care to give the link to the one you got please. Also when did you get it, if it was long time ago , it could have changed revisions by now: (

They are advising against by the forum to buy any X96 box. I have the X96 Air and the X96 Max plus 2 and I can only say 100x100 garbage.

Look in other threads that the issue of X96 boxes is covered

Right here and in other threads.

Mine lasted less than 1 month, it does not recognize usb or anything

https://forum.freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-support/amlogic-based-tv-players/s905x3/826251-bricked-x96-max-plus-q2-with-amlogic-s905x3-4-32gb

time of purchase: Jan. 06 2021

1 Like