Do amlogic-ng builds work well on GXL(S905X/S905D/S905W) devices?

Yep, tried that, doesn’t work.

Audio output device ALSA: AML-MESONAUDIO, HDMI
Number of channels 7.1

Things were fine in the previous kernel.

That’s not the correct audio device.
You are not even using Amlogic-ng build…

I put on 20.0 today to see if that solved the problem, it hasn’t.

Now select the Multichannel HDMI device and set channels to 7.1

Still the same problem, but I haven’t changed anything since you suggested that before

Does the MESONAUDIO audio device mean that I’m not on the 4.9 kernel? Is that why you thought I was not on ng?

I’m installed to internel, but the Android 7.1 version I flashed (HQYG-TX7-nikodi-20180104) still has the 3.14 kernel. Does a dual boot install to internal use any resources from the Android partition that might cause a conflict?

Sorry, MESONAUDIO exists on GXL devices, and AUGEAUDIO is on newer chips.
I think that you probably don’t even have the Multichannel HDMI option, as it’s only available on newer devices.
That said, I’m not sure whether there’s a solution for this issue for GXL.

You may want to try enable passthrough and AC3 transcoding, set channel count to 2.0 and you will have a new setting in the passthrough options. Maybe that will provide an acceptable workaround.

Thank you, glad we seem to have got to the bottom of it.

I just have four audio output device options:

ALSA: Default (AML-MESONAUDIO, Analog), PCM
ALSA: AML-MESONAUDIO, PCM
ALSA: AML-MESONAUDIO, HDMI
PULSE: Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO)

I’ll try your suggestion, but maybe just leaving the output at 2.0 and using my receiver’s Dolby Prologic II capabilities might be simplest.

Yes, but then you downmix the audio to 2 channels, and then upmix them back.
With AC3 transcoding, the system will transcode AAC to AC3 and it should, at least in theory, only have 1 stage of processing.

Not too taxing on the S905X CPU?

Should be able to handle it ok.

Interestingly it stops the stutter and freezing of the video, but there’s still no sound, so I’ll stick to PLII or maybe even go back to non-ng. Thanks for your time anyway.

Try build 19.1.0

It’s highly recommended to upgrade to at least minimum CoreELEC 19 Matrix as EOL for 9.2 was announced!

Hi,
I’ve got a Venz V10 box running smoothly on 9.2.8, tried upgrading to latest CE stabe & nightly, but device seems crashing ca 10-20seconds after boot. Sometimes I can see the Kodi setup wizard, but interface is frozen before I can enter anything.
Also sometimes, I don’t see anything on screen but if I keep pinging the device it shows periods of ca 15seconds with valid replies, folowed by a longer ‘dead period’, and after a while the cycle repeats.
I’m using the gxl_p212_1g.dtb (also tried a nightly with the _slowmmc.dtb, here the system got stable ping replies, but nothing appeared on the screen).

Is this S905L 1G/8G devices still supported? (edit: actually I guess it should, since I can select it from the download section, however it’s not working - on my device)

FYI: I also tried LibreELEC, and that’s running stable at the moment (only keyboard/wifi isn’t working, but I don’t need it).

Just wanted to share my experience, let me know if I should perform some other tests

Board GXBB / SoC S905 is no longer supported.

That’s what I initially thought as well, but in the LE-forum someone told me it still is supported (also has the specific V10 device entry in the download-selector).
When I looked closer I saw only the GXBB was EOL, but GXL is still in the list (GXL is the dtb I used before in CE and now in LE, and GXL is the dtb which is proposed in de download selector).

S905L is listed in the EOL (GXBB) and STABLE (GXL) rows

Venz V10 was using S905 (GXBB) with 1GB Ram, so EOL.
Venz V10 Pro was using S905X (GXL) with 2GB ram, and still is supported.
As yours is the first one, you’r stuck with 9.2.8…

1 Like

Thanks for noticing that. Corrected.

LE is not CE.

Actually I was doing some research for new hardware, so I’ll start that quest again.
If support is ended, maybe it should also be removed from the list of devices in the ‘Download’/‘New Installation’ on the homepage of CE? (both Venz V10 and V10 Pro are listed in there as a gxl device)

I use ce omega-ng build on my ematic jetstream with anyone of the p212-2g.dtbs and they all boot. Remote works as I had to custom configure it. Wi-Fi works and Bluetooth out of the box. Performs pretty well for an s905x rev d