Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

Could you share the raw captured data from a known sample video from a device running in true tv-led mode that sends changing RPU data?

I’d like to take the idea from your RPU transmission video further, extract the RPU data from the captured data, and see if any of it can be matched up to metadata extracted from the original sample using the dovi_tool

@djnice You also seem to have the equipment needed to capture the data. Could you share some captured data?

1 Like

I can confirm that issue, too. (Les.Trois.Mousquetaires.D.Artagnan.2023, 33min 20sec)
I tried with monsoon android build but no issue, so it seems that the remux itself is not the cause of this issue.

Something for your investigation.

I am wondering maybe the 2nd line is a CRC of the metadata for the sink to check, I think it can be sent as clear or CRC, and the oppo not sending the CRC?

Seems to work on latest CE21 nightly build, checked a few other problematic moments in this movie. So good job team CoreElec.

no, then a regular video with 8 profiles and MEL would also have this stripe, but it’s not there. I will study the issue.

I was thinking about it, there’s binary code, in theory it’s possible to match, but it needs to be done a lot of captures, in which only one of the parameters will change. It is quite possible that encryption or encoding is also used there. but I will provide you with some screenshots in dpx. you can pull the RPU string from them

1 Like

I double-checked the rpu, everything is fine, there is no difference. Apparently, for the first time, I compared different frames by accident. But the fact that there is a second line, it turned out, depends on the video, in some there is, and in some there is not. And judging by the location, this is not the second line, but a continuation of the first, because the second one ends approximately in the middle of the frame.
In general, we can now say with confidence that there is no difference, either in FEL or in the 8 profile of the difference between Aro and am6b in the transmission of RPU data. They are identical. The only difference is in the different color interpolation methods.

Addition. No, I was not mistaken, there is a difference in the RPU data if the video is from Cm4.0. Last time I tested on the Weird science UHD bd remux movie, the video has Cm4.0. Here on it, there is a difference between Oppo and Am6b. But there is no difference in the video from CM2.9. apparently due to the fact that Oppo cannot read CM4.0

5 Likes

Some thing very much wrong - I cannot play any DV material anu more. Tried 3 of the Matrix and True Lies - no video on the screen at all:

https://paste.coreelec.org/Ihs9zM

my inexperienced eye cannot catch anything obvious in the log but can anyone spot anything? I’m really very interested to know what’s going on.

Sorry if this is a silly quesiton, but is @cpm’s patch now included in both the latest 20.5 and 21.0 nightlies? I’ve installed ng-20.5-20240320 on my new AM6B+ and dropped the (64-bit) dovi.ko in my /storage/ directory. Am I good to go?

0321 nightlies according to this post:

It’s either line 6070 or line 5586 where the auto gets called. Might be useful to add a kernel pr_info statement to determine. I’m hopeful it’s happening on line 6070.

cpm’s original patches are already in, new Mel detection build still isn’t out though.

Here is the latest patent I could find from Dolby - that looks like the CRC is always transmitted (would swear I saw somewhere it could be optional) - anyway this maybe useful to understand the RPU more.

US10701399.pdf (2.6 MB)

This may be more helpful in first trying to extract valid packets. It’s not quite as straightforward as the lower bit of the chroma channel

I want to test out these latest nightly builds. Is it recommended to run CE from eMMC, microSD, or USB? Does anyone have a link to the instructions?

I’m used to running CE from USB on the S905X4-K devices.

I noticed that on the latest codebase of CE 20 and latest (03/22) CE 21 nightly, I am unable to correctly play content with an HDR10+ layer with a TV that has only HDR10 and DV support. Color comes out very distorted.

Anyone else care to test? Maybe have to dig for some content using mediainfo! I first noticed this playing the remux of Bad Times at the El Royale. I doubt content with HDR10, HDR10+ and DV combined would be equivalent as Kodi would just pick the DV track I think.

Nightly builds are experimental. We do some sanity testing on them, but I wouldn’t run it on emmc to make it easy to recover in case of a bad build.
microSD or USB function in the same way, so pick what you prefer.
With microSD you’re not using up a USB port.

2 Likes

No issue with 3 musketeers in the latest 21-omega-0322 nightly with updated MEL patch

I did a fresh install with the latest CE 21 nightly yesterday. The first time I start a HDR movie after starting the box, I get completely wrong colors. If I stop the vodeo and start it again, it plays normal. Is this a known problem or are any logs needed?

Anyone want to try this build?
Really hope this is the ticket. Ideally you want refresh rate switching on start/stop, and 1920x1080 60hz (this allows HDR10+ to run for me!). cs/cd set to auto. Either LLDV or TV-led–your pick.

Some things I noticed:

• When I play Dune, I no longer get any skipped frames. Not setting wait delay either (set to default of 2). Not sure if this is incorporating cpm’s new MEL detection, but I want to say probably not? But not sure… My prior fix attempt would switch to 12-bit then back to 8-bit. This new build doesn’t seem to do that.
  • Specifically LLDV on Dune no longer starts with distorted colors.
  • It also will not force your display to 4k @ 4:2:0 8-bit and should rely instead more on your TV’s EDID. I suspect this behavior was exacerbating the race condition present in the mode setting.
  • Hitting fullscreen no longer blanks out the screen (previously seemed to resemble refresh rate switch). Likely related to the previous issue.
  • Fixes, the 8-bit 4:4:4 4K @ 60hz that got set, which is problematic for HDR10. It’s now setting to 4:2:2 12-bit at 4K @ 60hz (specifically fractional).

Hope to eventually switch to CE 21 to try this, but for some reason FEL titles stall out on resume, and kills the playback on skipping chapters. So sticking with CE 20 for that stability while I try to iron out the bitrate setting issues.

Edited slight tweak, current with pull 36:

2 Likes