Dolby Vision for Minix U22X-J (Max) and Ugoos AM6+

All the tools that supposedly do conversion to DV correctly seem to require quite a bit of horsepower, if not a reencode altogether. I have a hard time believing any DV engine within an arm based streaming box can do it on the fly just as effectively?

If anything I don’t think the S922X-J boxes would benefit from this…

Trying to install on eMMc but get this:
System is not supported g12b_s922x_ugoos:am6b!
emmc

Use ceemmc -x

Perfect it works now. Thank you for help.

Ah, this makes much more sense. Thank you. It’s a shame this kind of info is not available in the older series, though.

Just moved over to eMMC myself. That is astonishing how much faster eMMC is. Awesome tip, thank you!

Thats interesting I would extrapolate from that - that what we have in the Ugoos is VS10 and it is just marketing from Zidoo to put that front and center- also got me wondering how much is controlled via the software in the dovi.ko, it looks like all the major chip vendors supported around 2016 in their graphics processing / 2D engines.

Moving towards tying this out - have some good idea now how to try this quickly just to gauge what it’s like - will start up a separate topic if/when for that for those with an interest to follow.

4 Likes

Exactly this. I think what we have is actually VS10 - it only makes sense because the next SOC from the 922X-J is VS12. And performance wise I think the S922 is more powerful than the RTD1619DR which powered Zidoo’s VS10 devices.

I think it’s almost entirely controlled within dovi.ko as you say because it works on both the Realtek and Amlogic SOCs, makes sense it’s in the dovi.ko module. Hopefully it is not too many parameters to pass in.

If the Am6b+ is also capable of VS10, wow, that would be fun.

What I read from chinese forum, this VS12 much more like Tencent self created term, which VS10 is the only official one which we can find from dolby. just like HDR10, there’s no hdr12 :grinning:

Is there a guide written someplace on how to “move over eMMC”? If yes, could you provide link please? Cheers :wink:

After the DV problem is fixed for Sony TVs I would like to do this myself but am clueless…

coreelec:ugoos [CoreELEC Wiki]

2 Likes

Pardon me if this ain’t the right place to ask this but do any of the modded firmwares on slim box/ 4pda have unlocked boot loaders for the AM6B.I noticed they call them encrypted and unencrypted but I wasn’t sure what the differences are.If it was unlocked I assume you can inject the blob and fix the cec issues?

https://4pda.to/forum/index.php?showtopic=948693

Perhaps they mean Dolby MS12 audio.

Don’t try to write unencrypted FW to your am6b if already latest 0.5.4,it’s encrypted already and irreversible. it almost made my box brick. I suggested before if we can get help from slimbox team to include what we need into their firmware, so no need to inject again.

@liquidion please update with this test build and try again if it now works correct:

Please make a log with these commands again after update with this test build:

dmesg -c
echo 3 > /sys/module/amdolby_vision/parameters/debug_dolby
-> start playback in kodi and stop it again after 2-3s of video visible on screen
dmesg | paste
1 Like

Maybe they just want to make them more high tech using new word “vs12 engine”(this is product description in their ADV at Taobao)

Btw, someone here already tested VS12, no better than original VS10, brightness correction far away from native dovi

There are 3x different workarounds. Many people here have Sony TVs. You could use the:

1. native player

2. plexkodiconnect

3. set the bit manually to 8-bit when watching DV content using PM4K under the color depth setting

Also, fair to point this out again: In DV case, this is explicitly not lowering the quality: DV tunnels full colour information through an 8-bit RGB tunnel, without loss of actual colour depth, which is decoded on device after tunnelling.

Only when you wanna use the box for any non-DV content would you need to change it back.

Wow, this fixed 3x different bugs I had!

First, the main one, now DV content correctly reads 8-bit with URL method. SDR and HDR still work correctly as before.

Second, before Gemini Man would always play with a black screen via direct URL method, only audio works. Not even OSD shows up. Now this is fixed as well

Third, before some of my DV P5 (not all) would also have same issue as above. Black screen, no OSD, only audio. This is also fixed!

Thank you for considering this problem and fixing it.

dmesg:
https://paste.coreelec.org/IqeQdf

This is TV-led mode. I have not tested player-led since I don’t use it