Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+

Same on my Philips too, it shows 12 bit. Native DV works fine with no refresh change, only converted stuff has the issue.

Itā€™s only on certain refresh rates though.

If I set my GUI to 4K and 23.98, and VS10 HDR->DV content that matches, it works with no issue. Color bit still set correctly.

On this 59.94 (or w/e it actually is), there is the bug.

2 Likes

I found the issue, will probably have a go at fixing it.

4 Likes

Amazing. Did you see Portischā€™s reply in the thread I created?

I think what CE is looking for is the VS10 and VSVDB features in a updated NE build, then separate PRs in order to migrate this into mainline.

1 Like

@cpm , This is great news, just fantastic!

Thank you again for your wonderful contributions!

Yeah I saw that, a few months back I was discussing with them - as I had come to a sticking point and could have done with more devs eyes on the problem to try and resolve (eventually just worked through it myself)

At that point though they looked at the code and quickly summed up they wanted to take a different approach to the one I had and implemented e.g. always on DV from boot rather than switching - i.e. the overall goal they had was minimal if any user config, which is opposite to my way of thinking so nothing came of that and I waited to see what they would implement, but never saw anything materialise as obviously they have their hands full on other areas.

My changes are quite wide ranging and tied in with ng version and they leverage changes from each other with quite a bit of refactoring of the code base to make it nice to work on and yet still easy to apply on top of existing ng. again probably not the philosophy of CE who want less ā€œdisruptiveā€ changes to the underlying stack.

I have moved these threads in the Community unsupported EOL area to reflect the comments from CE, I think best hope at this point is the code can be referred to as inspiration if CE want again to take a look in the future.

Unless other kernels can work with FEL it is not a goer for me to work on them, plus if I add it up I have probably logged hundreds on hours on this already and moved into other projects which are taking more and more of my time.

I am glad people found them useful and brought some joy with trying them / using them.

15 Likes

@cpm Thank you for your contributions, is it possible to donate some beers/coffes? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@cpm , Thank you again for your fantastic work! I have to say that I am a little disappointed that CE developers are taking this wait/slow approach towards your improvements. Of course is their decision but I am not sure I will move out of your build until they include your functionality on the main build. As long as I do not hit any major bug that prevents major functionality I will just stay put with your build.

6 Likes

T6A Update

@Kaan @W4RW0LF47 @liquidion

• Fix for VS10 HDR10 to DV for 3840x2160 @ 59.94 (Plus probably other corner cases)

When testing use the below tar to update a fresh install of CE-21 ng - recommended to do on separate test media.

Update tar

If it is not clear already, this is for testing only to try out functionality.
I will do my best to find a time slot for any repeatable issue found and attempt to fix / improve.

13 Likes

BTW were do you find all these gems?

is this based on latest nightly? :saluting_face:

Should be, it is diff applied as patches to the head of CoreELEC.

3 Likes

:+1: :raised_hands: :clap:

1 Like

And who do you think is doing ground work? Elfs?

@vpeter , In my past posts I have thanked and recognized the CE Developers Team on doing a phenomenal job on CE. On my sentence that you highlighted, I specifically stated that my disappointment was with the CE Developers Team taking a wait/slow approach to cpmā€™s additional features that are numerous and ground breaking (this does not take anything away from my recognition to the CE Developers Team). Both are facts - the CE Developers Team doing a phenomenal job - and cpm doing a phenomenal job too. Now, if we only could get them (the CE Developers Team and cpm) to work together to implement all of cpmā€™s features that many users want then that would be a wonderful partnership. Better yet, as once said - ā€œLouis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendshipā€.

Seems you missed this post: VS10 Engine / VSVDB Injection Addition Into Mainline CE - #2 by Portisch

does this also mean no 21.2ā€¦n releases (if I understood the EOSD wiki page correctly)? Because thereā€™s already a 21.2-ng branch on GH if Iā€™m not mistakenā€¦

@vpeter , I had not read that thread but as also noted in the same thread on #4 (unless it is a mistake) that the ā€œneā€ version does not support P7-FEL yet. At least for me, that is the main reason I got CE, as believe for many other users also. So this is a non-starter for me.

4 Likes

Same, I will not be moving to anything that doesnā€™t fully support P7-FEL, that was also the entire reason I got this device and started using CE. The good news is that barring any major show-stopping bugs, I imagine I should be able to just keep using CPMā€™s build for the forseeable future. That being said, I would prefer to have this stuff in the main builds, with more eyes on the code and more people working to fix bugs, and even enhance things further.

But of course whatever the developers want to work on is what they should work on. Iā€™m not demanding anything, just stating what my thoughts are and what I would like to see as a user.

4 Likes

Hi, @cpm , thanks, but seems like it not. From this build missing the last NG nightly, all homatics related stuff.
I think its based an earlier stuff.