EDID Override - Injecting a Dolby VSVDB Block

A sincere thanks to everyone for all the testing and feedback, it has been a rewarding project for me to work on.

I hope everyone got something out of trying this and exploring the the possibilities of this box with the DV Engine and VSVDB Injection.

I will likely do one more release to allow for some further exploration so stay tuned if interested in that. (see post above)

I expect a few people are thinking what will happen with all this on the main branch/line of CE.

My take is:

• CE team will eventually add a DV from boot mode, where DV is always on and everything is mapped into DV. Would not expect any further options.

• When I brought up the VSVDB changes to the CE team I got crickets / and never had any feedback on this thread other than Portisch chiming in to say the EDID load would not work (which I took as honest guidance), so from that I would say the VSVDB changes will remain just an experiment.

As shared previously the code is all there for anyone who wants to tinker and build versions in the future.

Cheers cpm.

9 Likes

Hopefully they will consider to add exceptionsā€¦ the option to keep SDR unconverted while VS10 only on HDR.

That topic has come up more than once on Zidoo forums so the demand for it is definitely there.

1 Like

sir, Iā€™m pretty sure the EDID is working fine in VSVDB Injection for my Projector. It looks better than LLDV mode. Much appreciated your great work. Will keep following your branch line. :+1:

1 Like

I use your build in daily basis.
It has many optional settings, and is very stable.
I hope the CE team will put it all into the nightly build, as it is.
Always DV is not a good choice.
Fantastic work thank you!

1 Like

Shame but expected. Returned to mainline builds to not get used to new features and be disappointed later.

Hope there will at least be commands available for autostart.sh

1 Like

Right now all the efforts are concentrated in the 3D front for a last push towards adding that feature. After that weā€™ll deal with VS10 engine and add the changes the best way possible. Iā€™m also using a build from cpm for daily testing.
There are no decisions made at this point.

9 Likes

thanks a lot for all your work and thank you for adding VS10 in mainline :slight_smile:
(and +1 for having VSVDB injection with LLDV (output as HDR-PQ0) in mainline too, this is a killer feature)

1 Like

Thank you @cpm from me as well ,youā€™ve brought joy to many of us really grateful.
And thank you @Vasco & CE team for potentially considering it as that will be the ultimate thank you to cpm for their great work.

2 Likes

Thanks to @cpm and all the participants, a great jobā€¦ wonderful

1 Like

I hope that CE Team will come to a decision soon, as the changes @cpm made and shared are working for me perfectly - in fact are quite stable, and I use it as my daily OS, since all options are easily enabled/disabled for any use case.
Maybe it needs more thorough testing, but I did not find any stability problem.

2 Likes

Thank you @cpm and thank you CE team, We all are here because we share this passion in a way or in an other. @cpm I hope you are not leaving this community. I also use your build for daily use and hope that, in due time, CE Team will port the changes in the mainline.
Thanks again.

2 Likes

Since I have experience with some Androids running DV from boot, I would certainly prefer to have this option selectable; my tv is set to switch to DV mode with max brightness/contrast/all rother settings, and donā€™t feel comfortable to have it in that mode all the time, only when itā€™s really needed.
Thanx for all your time and work that you kindly shared wit this community, unlike @monsoons who kept it all only for himself.

3 Likes

Feature Complete - Update 1

I have LG C9 TV, just updated from the latest nightly version to this vs10 version.

Just Set Dispaly-led, the screen looks so clear then ever dightly version.

Amazing work.

When I set mode as On demand, STDL ļ¼ˆthe same DTDL ) of a particular Japanese film (2023) under DV playing, the OSD and Sub still turn into black colour.

When set Mode as On, itā€™s OK.

I think your version made my fire tv cube 2nd playing films as good as blueray disc player.

1 Like

Hi Woohaaa, would you pls let me know how to make Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen both working in CE and high speed RJ45 wired? There is just one USB2.0.

I used some powered 10gbps usb hub with a 1Gbps Ethernet port .

For cube USB2.0 port, the RJ45 speed is not quicker than Wifi.

But I solved the lag problem when playing DTDL BDMV by setting cache 192M and read factor Adaptive 怂ļ¼ˆ CoreELEC Settings->Services->Cachingļ¼‰

in other word, youā€™re playing the BDMV over WIFI of Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen? The USB port just used for USB stick to run Coreelec? Correct me if i make some misunderstanding. Actually I do have one but hard to run it well.

Japanese film from (2023) - had two guesses and found problem on 2nd guess :slight_smile:

Perfect Days - 1.33:1 (4:3) P7 FEL.

Has the issue with DV Mode: On Demand.
I would presume this also has issues on the CE nightly?

Can work around with Player Led, or DV Mode: On (as you mention)

I would guess it is because of the aspect ratio.
With DV Mode: On it already in DV in 16:9 and then fine, probably something in the dovi.ko as the graphics plane (OSD) is being given the correct luminance - donā€™t see a way of correcting for problem at this point.

1 Like

Nope still be about, probably back off from development a bit now done the most I can do for this element.

Thanks to everyone for expressing the support for the work!

4 Likes

Feature Complete - Update 2

• VS10 separate out [for SDR] into [for SDR8] and [for SDR10]

• For example could map SDR8 content to SDR10 and SDR10 content to DV.
  • DV Type: Display Led (DV-Std)

• Now only available if you have a DV Std Display (i.e. has RGB 8Bit 444 Tunnelling)
    • Probably would need expanding in future to cover other options for tv-led.
  • DV Type: Player Led (HDR)

• Now only available if you have an HDR PQ display (i.e. has HDR SMPTE ST 2084)
  • DV Type: VS10 Only

• Added primarily for SDR only displays where we can still use VS10 to map content to SDR.
    • Other options would now be not accessible for an SDR only display.
    • Still needs some work to lock down the UI better - but not a Kodi UI expert so best efforts so far.
  • DV Modes are resolved on first start only.

• If resolved again after an injected Dolby VSVDB it will cause the system to think it has a DV Display connected and DV Modes will show modes that are not actually possible.
    • Need to restart/reboot to refresh the modes (if you hot plug in a different Display/EDID etc.)
  • Only change dolby_vision_graphic_max when in DV Mode: On.

• Will now be left unchanged in other modes.

When testing use the below tar to update a fresh install of CE-21 ng.

Update tar

Dolby VSVDB Calc

5 Likes

Your guess is very accuracy怂

When I Change TV from LG c9 to LG c2ļ¼Œ LG C2 donā€™t have this problem.
Everything is OK.