Factory Ugoos AM6/AM6 Pro & X2/X3 eMMC Dual Boot CE Unofficial

@kostaman
Thank You for thread separation. I’m sorry for junking 9.2.2 thread.

@sabelstrom
I have also Ugoos Cube X2. Have no issues with USB. But i use it from version firmware 0.2.7, 0.2.8, 0.2.8 dualboot and now 0.3.1 dualboot. All with nightlies before 9.2.2.
The problems with CEC started with stable CE 9.2.2 and firmware 0.3.1 dualboot.

I’m really worried with the Factory Installed eMMC Dual Boot.
Already identified by Portisch
CE_STORAGE on your AM6 Ugoos is only about 1536MB
It’s not a correct official installation of CoreELEC.

If it was my hardware , I would flash their stock eMMC Android only image.
Then install CE to SD Card / USB and make sure it runs.
Then install the official method for CE dual boot eMMC

Thanks a lot!
Thats what im going to do then. :slight_smile:

Make sure you come back and report your results. :wink:

I just loaded the Dual Boot Ugoos firmware on my AM6 Plus;
prior to that I created backup of my CE standalone config running off SD Card
I’m trying to now install the backup (it’s about 1GB file)
I get error saying ‘insufficient storage space’

Is this why?

Yes, this is a reason.
As mentioned earlier they have a limited to ~1.4G storage partition

Thank you
Wow - that’s pretty worthless - thought it must be too good/too simple to be true

You can use official ceemmc tool to make dualboot or ask vendor directly about possible solutions.

I just sent them a suggestion that if Dual Boot option is to be successful, they must make a larger partition available for CE (their reluctance might be from the std AM6 which has only 16GB)

I was looking at the CEEMC tutorial - I don’t see the AM6 listed but I presume should work?
Also I’m not clear on how you execute the options
e.g.

CoreELEC:~ # ceemmc -1

Or ???

It looks like biggest inconvenience with manual EMMC tool is that you must remove the CE partition if a new Android Firmware is required, then remount again? (but of course if the Factory Dual does not work, if you want dual boot on EMMC then have to just deal with that)

If you read it to the end then you will see a hint: ceemmc -x
Yes, if you need to update android you could make CE backup or move all data via same ceemmc tool on USB/SD and after return back
All possible steps described in instruction

Received a very prompt reply back from Ugoos customer service - “I think our guys have their thought, may need some time to make that version better” - but nothing imminent in that regard. But would pass my suggestion/issue to engineering

I also challenged why use a CE nightly version for the basis? The reply there was that nightly typically has more features and user can upgrade to stable version if desired - I suggested that they have that backwards - should use a released version and let user decide if they want to play with nightly versions! ((I think initially for CEEMMC a nightly was required to have the capability, but at this point 9.2.2 should be good, yes?)

You can use stable version if you don’t need any fixes that were made later in nightly.
If you want to be up-to-date and inform us if some issues arise then use nightly.
In any case you can update between them at any time.

Does the CE tool add the reboot to emmc option? And is the option to reboot to CE
also in Android? This seems like the main thing that is needed for simplicity sake.

In default CE skin you have this option by default.
In Android a logic will be different. After reboot you return to CE.

1 Like

Thank you - yes, had seen that - the one part that is not clear from the instruction (just simply reading it in the guide) is how you execute the options - but it all becomes very clear once you in fact execute the initial command - it indeed lists the available options for the EMMC status it finds and then instructs to select from [1,2,3,4] and you simply enter the number and execute - I think that very last step could be added to the on-line instruction. Again, it IS obvious once you start, but adding it in the instruction would just be helpful to complete what to expect - it’s obvious in hindsight but looking at it beforehand it just wasn’t clear how the options would be executed.
Not a criticism at all, just a first-time user of the tool perspective.
And yes, it was indeed super-simple!

It looks like you would execute option 6, then option 7 (two separate operations it appears) then option 1 again to re-install after the Android update
It’s not as much of an inconvenience as I perhaps initially perceived.

Nice job CoreELEC Team

v0.3.3 has been released as a RC

1. Fixed work of multichannel high resolution PCM audio
  2. Added saving display mode after turning off/on the TV with AV receiver
  3. Now default display mode for applications equals resolution in settings
  4. Now Lock UI size function worked for all display modes
  5. Applications will not be redrawn if enabled Lock UI size function
  6. Fixed screen rotation for non FullHD interface
  7. Some wallpapers are copied to user folder
  8. Added Fake Wi-Fi function
  9. Fixed some crashes of application TvSettings
  10. Added horizontal recent apps window as option
  11. Fixed not worked TV volume control by CEC in some cases
  12. Fixed h265 playback crash
  13. Fixed interlaced video stream jitter bug
  14. Fixed display freezes and becomes slow/lags while selecting PIP mode options in VLC app
  15. Fixed freezes when playing 8k video (X3)
  16. Ugoos remote changes:
  • added quick connection menu
  • added joystick menu
  • fixed work with third-party keyboards
  • added multi-touch to the touch screen
  • added button on-off vibration
  • added button power off TV box
  • other changes

Dualboot build with CoreELEC

1. Increase CoreELEC partition size to 3GB
  2. Replaced CoreELEC night build to stable 9.2.2

Looks like they listened to BOTH of my requests - now that is service!

However I’m not sure I will swap over to the full Ugoos Dual Boot firmware - now that I have the CEEMMC capability installed and both OS configured it’s actually much more convenient to use CEEMMC to update both independently (vs having to now burn the Dual Boot and then re-configuring my Android)

Does anyone know what the relative ‘lost space’ is for CEEMMC vs the Ugoos Dual Boot config? Are they the same?
(It’s actually not an issue for me - just curious)

Space is not lost…
You could check the space with command df -h

The disadvantage is that not all memory of the internal eMMC can be used. Around 5GB of the internal memory is lost in this mode because of the Android partition layout. The amount of lost memory depends on vendor/device.

This is the part that is confusing

Android partitions use some space that couldn’t be used in dual mode by CE. This is jist a comparison with CE single mode installation.

OK I think I follow
Have to say that note about the 5G ‘lost’ is very confusing statement and could be better clarified - just a well-intended constructive comment.
As written it gives the impression that when you install CEEMMC Dual Boot - you are going to lose a new 5G of unusable storage in addition to the CE requirement AND the Android system

So perhaps a better statement might be:
In a Single Boot CE installation, the Full Storage Volume will be allocated to CE
In a Dual Boot installation there will continue to be a reserve of approx 5G for the Android allocation, leaving the remainder available for shared storage.