Favorites as startup page?

With all due respect Sholander, I’m a total zero when it comes to this stuff but after not having received a reply to my question “how do I get the IP address of the box?” (until after I had left the office), it took me less than 5 minutes to find it under System > About and I didn’t even need to boot into Android to get it.

Regardless, that may work easily via LAN but trying to SSH via Wi-Fi is a completely different story. Therefore your USB stick solution is ideal for people like myself who struggle with modern technology.

SSH is not as complicated or daunting as it may at first sound and is very useful, so worth a little investment in time learning the basics. There are many videos over at YouTube that show the way and the most useful softwares to use.

But if people really want a tool that enables them to gain fuller access to the partitions on their USB sick/SD card using Windows, download Linux Filesystems for Windows by Paragon software.

It is essentially a 10 day trial but continues to work after it has ended, restricting the file transfer speed to around 1Mb/s, which for most purposes in CE, is not really a great disadvantage or issue.

1 Like

I’m sorry to be a nuisance, vpeter, but I have been unable to locate the Home.xml file on my device. I used File Manager but could only find the Confluence and AeonQ Tao skins. I have been through every folder in both Home and Root folders. If you know the exact path, can you share that with me please?

Somewhere under /storage/.kodi/addons/skin.folder.name

Which skin are you using, Estuary? That is located here /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary but I think the directory is read only.

Yes, Estuary. Well I found it and using the Move option I placed the file in that directory and it didn’t attempt to stop me, but it didn’t change anything. Even after a reboot, the Favorites option was not available.

Come to think of it, I can’t see why it would be because vpeter said he moved Favorites to the top. It is not a case of where it is positioned in the options, it simply doesn’t appear in the options.

Please see for yourselves, and it doesn’t matter which skin you use because I have found it is exactly the same in the 4 different skins I have installed. Here’s the steps to follow:

1. Go to Interface > Startup
  2. Select Startup page drop-down menu. You will see every possible option is there except Favorites.

For Estuary you need to first copy from /usr to /storage (in ssh console).

cp -r /usr/share/kodi/addons/skin.estuary /storage/.kodi/addons

And Favorites are not available as start page because this is not a page but a dialog.

Dialog can be shown by some autostart.py scripting.

Or using solution from post #5.

Wow, far too complex for me!
Is it really not possible to make this an option in the next 9.2.8 release?

If not, I will just have to stick with the Home page and then click on Favorites but it is a shame because the Favorites page/dialog has only the items that we use and being customized with images as well as links, it looks very impressive!

Prior to buying this Ugoos AM6, I had a Mede8er X600-3D which was a Sigma chipped box. It couldn’t run any Android apps but I could set Favorites as the default page for start-up.

This request will not happen in any release :slight_smile:

Only 3 things needs to be done: install ssh, copy addon to storage, edit one file.

Or just copy addon zip file I provide to usb stick and install addon from zip.

It is beyond my skills, vpeter. I’m a 65 yr old. I don’t have the same IT skills as you because they didn’t even exist when I was at school. Everything I have learned to date has been by trial and error.

In the Kodi thread you linked to, Hitcher warned that whatever changes you make will be overwritten every time there’s an update.

Is there maybe an Addon that allows for a customized startup page?

What do you mean by startup page? Most skins other that Estuary & Confluence will let you set the first menu item as Favourites. In the default skins it’s not an option as most people use Library rather than Favourites, which is a very basic folder.

For me, the Startup page is the same as the Home page. It’s the one you see once CoreElec has completed booting. The landing page, if you prefer.

I tried Confluence, Embuary, and Aeon Tajo and Favorites wasn’t available in any of those. Besides which, how can it be available in the others if it is just a dialog as vpeter said? I am not saying you are wrong. I’m just having trouble understanding the logic behind all this (it is possible with some skins but not with others).

I just added it to Arctic Zephyr Mod Home Menu, I’m sure you can do it with most skins:

From there it opens the Favourites dialog:

I greatly approve of your taste in comedy. You must be roughly my age to have known and appreciated The Young Ones. Phoenix Nights is a bit more recent but just as brilliant!

Favorites is opening as a dialog rather than a page. On my Estuary, it opens as a complete page and that’s the look I want. Of course, it’s all a question of personal taste.

What is the “Arctic Zephyr Mod”?

And I wrote why not: Favorites is a dialog not page.

If you really want this feature then learn some new things and edit this xml file. Or just install my skin addon as zip file. How hard is to copy one file to usb stick, attach it to your device, select from kodi to install zip addon. If you are not capable of doing anything of this than just gave up. I’m sorry for hard truth.

Yes, you did, but FXB78 wrote “Most skins other that Estuary & Confluence will let you set the first menu item as Favourites.” I think we were at cross purposes because he, and perhaps you, seem to believe that my goal is to set Favorites as the first option in the main menu. That isn’t what I want to do at all. I want the landing page to be my Favorites page and please note that it is NOT a dialog. It is a full page.

With most skins you will not achieve this without modifying skin.
What I did was to move Favorites item to top so when kodi is started you get to Favorites.
The second solution in thread I linked is to set focus to Favorites.

But both needs manual editing of the skin.

Anyway, I can’t help you with actual changes on your device.

I am leaving work now so I will have to get back to you tomorrow. I will take a photo of my screen tonight so you can see what my Favorites page looks like. I think your idea for setting the focus to Favorites may be the solution I need.

Have a nice evening!

Good morning. As promised, here’s the photo of my screen showing how my Favorites page is a full page as opposed to a dialog. Sorry if it is not very clear. The image is projected and the room is completely blacked-out.

Seems we are looping around same thing again and again. You can’t have Favorites as start page. Period. Maybe with some other skin this can be done but not with Estuary.

Did you tried to install my changed addon? Seems not because if you do then we would not having this discussion anymore!

Learn some new things how to edit files on your CoreELEC device or stop writing same thing again and again.