[Guide] S922X-J (Ugoos AM6b+) CoreELEC installation and FAQs

How do i make the Ugoos AM6B+ output 422 instead of 444 in hdr10? I read that 422 is preferable for my sony tv.

I have a Sony TV, can you point me to the article on this?

It was discussed on avsforum a while back. I dont remember the link to the comments though.

Today i turned on the AM6B+ running CoreELEC 21.1 061624 and the GUI was suddenly at the lowest resolution and minimized to a small window. I went to Resolution and change it back to the default 1920x1080 and the GUI went back to full screen, but the letters became stretched horizontally. Any ideas why?

It just fritzed as I honestly donā€™t think CoreELEC is all that stable. For example, I recently had installed and used a nightly for about a week (on SD card) with no problems. Then one night my am6b+ wouldnā€™t boot into CoreELEC but remained stuck on their big logo that comes up during booting. The logo just spun spun spun and no better what I did (unplugged ugoos tried resetting etc) it still wouldnā€™t boot. So yanked out the SDcard and took the opportunity to format it and stick the newest (19th) nightly on there. Then it booted. Why did it stop working before that? Who knows

Could always be a sdcard problem such as data corruption caused by a bad write.

Yes, who knows? Nightlies are by definition not stable. In other hand I run nightlies of NO and NG in four different devices and I donā€™t have any major problems.
Of course that thereā€™s a weakness in the setup and thatā€™s the card. It can get corrupted.

That was just one example of when I had problems. Have had many instances of having to unplug the ugoos and reboot because CoreELEC ā€œgot stuckā€ froze. So hmmm, you are saying you are having less such problems? This has got me thinking to perhaps I should use something different than rufus? Can you suggest please?

Itā€™s not about Rufus, it really is most likely a bad SD card.

Your best bet is to move you CE install to the eMMC memory using the ceemmc tool.

Alternatively, you could try to use a high quality USB stick instead of an SD card, they tend to behave a lot better.

Dang, I bought three new SanDisk Ultra 32GB microSD HC Class 10s just for this whole ugoos project. Ya, I plan to do that ceemmc stuff once I get smarter and CoreELEC for the am6b+ becomes more ā€œmatureā€ shall we say :slight_smile:

Thanks for the USB stick suggestion. I will try using a USB3 stick after the very next ā€œfreezeā€ & then report back.

Iā€™m using a nearly-2-decade old usb stick and CoreELEC is running fine.

Almost never. And when it does happen, it usually is a bug with PM4K as it may not exit cleanly, or freeze.

Hello Everyone,

AM6B+, CE 21.0, Sony X90J TV.

When I first play the movie below I get the screen as per below. I have to stop the movie and restart it before it will play normally. Any suggestions appreciated.

EDIT:
Here is the dispinfo on the first attempt to play - https://paste.coreelec.org/RepeatedBearings

Here is the dispinfo after a stop and play - https://paste.coreelec.org/CuddlyLoathe

BTW - Both of the above dispinfoā€™s are identical.

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2094 App 4, Version 1, HDR10+ Profile B compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 h 27 min
Bit rate                                 : 19.1 Mb/s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 1 920 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.000
Frame rate mode                          : Constant
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 10 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.108
Stream size                              : 11.7 GiB (95%)
Default                                  : Yes
Forced                                   : No
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics                 : PQ
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries        : Display P3
Mastering display luminance              : min: 0.0001 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level              : 965 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level        : 258 cd/m2
1 Like

Use nightly

Thanks for the reply, itā€™s appreciated.

Are you saying that because you know thereā€™s a fix in the nightly, or just to see if the same happens with the nightly?

EDIT: Just tried CoreELEC-Amlogic-ng.arm-21.1-Omega_nightly_20240621-Generic.img on a USB and the same result.

Interesting topic, Iā€™ve found this post with a quote from Stacey Spears

Every consumer display I have looked at will convert RGB to YCbCr and 4:4:4 to 4:2:2 for internal processing. LG has a true 4:4:4 mode that many call PC mode.

Others on avs forums seem to suggest the same thing, i.e., this post

If I recall, Sony processes HDMI inputs in 4:2:2

Same issue here with my LG C1 ā€¦ seem like when you played HDR10+ contents on the TV that doesnā€™t support HDR10+ ā€¦ the first attempt you will get green screen color need to stop the video and play to fix

1 Like

Thanks for the reply.

So what is the cause of this as my N2 running CE21.0 never had this issue? Hardware?

I had this issue on my N2, and since stooping/starting again fixed, it never bothered me much.

This worked perfectly. A godsend, really. Thanks again for your help.