[Guide] Ugoos AM6b+ CoreELEC installation

Start off on external media and then transfer to the emmc later if you’re not completely comfortable. Everything will be preserved. Otherwise, read the links and follow along. It’s not as daunting as it sounds. Once you connect to your device via putty, it’s fairly easy.

ah thanks! preserve is good!

putty. that’s way out of my league!!
I remember oldskool custom Roms for Android and I think with my nas. that’s either a perfect one step guide or I will leave it…

happy Monday!

well maybe I wasn’t pressing the recovery button enough but corelec never loaded but I got an And4oid udating graphic and then a menu of commands “boot” etc. that didn’t work either. Did I mess things up?

Unplug, try again, and, if it still doesn’t work, recheck your boot media.

This might be common knowledge but I might as well share that I tried one of my 2.5GbE USB to Ethernet dongles and it works out of the box in CoreELEC.

Got ~2.3Gbit speeds running Iperf to my server.
However, I guess the noisy USB3 port killed the Bluetooth connectivity so my Harmony remote was unresponsive during the testing.

Could be a cool little feature for someone who does not need the Bluetooth.
2.5Gbit is very overkill hence the cool factor.

It looks scarier than it is, but you’ll get it within minutes. First go to Settings → CoreElec → Services. Make sure SSH is enabled. Then go to Settings → System Information. Note the IP address.

Open up putty, type that IP address and click “Open”. That’s it, you’ve connected to CoreElec vs SSH! The default username password is root / coreelec

Now you can just type “ceemmc -x”, and select option1 (dual boot) when it comes up. Press “Y” at the prompts that show up, and done. You’ve successfully loaded your OS into emmc and can remove the slower SD card.

2 Likes

And to add to that, you don’t even need to download Putty.
If you have powershell installed on windows the SSH functionality is built in.

1. Open powershell
  2. Enter: ssh root@IP.TO.UGOOS
  3. Enter the password: coreelec
    Done.
2 Likes

So it boots to CE but now I can’t get the remote to work I did copy the remote.conf file to the root of the boot usb - any ideas? It did work once for one button push but no lonber.

My Ugoos remote was dead on arrival, it never worked at all.
If you have a USB mouse you can use that instead and try to connect/re-pair the remote from the CoreELEC Bluetooth menu.

Thanks I’ll give that a try.

With a mouse I can get to the BT selector however I don’t know which is Ugoos AM6B+‘s remote (and I believe in try to pair it by simultaneously pressing the vol up & down buttons I unpaired my soundbar’s BT remote - at least I think that’s what happened. Any way to identify which BT address is the Ugoos’?

UR-01 is the name of the remote

Also make sure you keep the antenna on or the Bluetooth will be worse than it already is.

1 Like

I have the antennae screwed in but I don’t see "UR-01 in the available BT devices.

Then it isn’t in pairing mode.

Like this?:
[ 4.096435@5]- mmcblk0: emmc:0001 BJTD4R 29.1 GiB
[ 4.101036@5]- mmcblk0boot0: emmc:0001 BJTD4R partition 1 4.00 MiB
[ 4.107185@5]- mmcblk0boot1: emmc:0001 BJTD4R partition 2 4.00 MiB
[ 4.113343@5]- mmcblk0rpmb: emmc:0001 BJTD4R partition 3 4.00 MiB
[ 4.119999@5]- meson-mmc: Enter aml_emmc_partition_ops
[ 4.124895@5]- meson-mmc: [mmc_read_partition_tbl] mmc read partition OK!
[ 4.131212@5]- meson-mmc: add_emmc_partition

1 Like

You can use HO400.

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Dolby Vision - VS10 Engine on Ugoos AM6+

Hi @Astrotrain .
In the install Guide written, the remote.conf for UR-01 remote.
When copyed, will work as IR mode right?
This can switch on the box when earlier switched off ?

I have built a few Am6b+ for family and friends of varying technical proficiency. Below are the settings that I found work best for a relatively standard HDMI and 4K TV setup. No AVR, box connected directly to TV. Will go section by section in the menu and discuss pros-cons.

This is a starting point so feel free to customize these according to your hardware. This is assuming everything has been installed to ceemmc using dualboot. If you haven’t done that yet, enable SSH and run the command
ceemmc -x
Use Option 1 to install in dualboot mode. This will help your system performance more than any of the below settings.

Anyway, recommended CoreElec/Kodi optimized defaults:

Settings->System->Display

• Resolution GUI - Either box upscales or your TV upscales. You decide which one you like more. For TV upscale, set your GUI to 1080p. For box upscale, set to 3840
  • Refresh Rate - 60Hz (or 120Hz if your box supports it)
  • If menu is cut off at edges. Adjust TV settings. On LG “Just Scan” set to ‘On’ vs ‘Auto’.

Settings->System->Audio

• GUI Sounds - None. I find it very annoying it clicks on each button press but ymmv
  • Audio Output Device - Set to HDMI for typical setup
  • Allow Passthrough - Set whatever passthrough audio codecs for whatever your TV/Receiver supports. If you have AVR that supports everything, DTS and TrueHD should be checked

Settings->System->Input->Peripherals

• CEC settings: I leave the box on all the time and just turn off my TV. My settings are ignore tv shutoff, dont shutoff tv, dont turn on tv. You may like something different

Settings->System->Input->Addons

• Unknown sources - check
  • Update official addons from – Any repo. Helps for a lot of skins

Settings->System->CoreElec

• Disable noise reduction – check

Settings->Services->Caching

• Buffer mode - cache settings to all methods: smb, local, remote, etc (default ignores local playback)
  • Read factor - Set 'Adaptive’ readfactor (default is 4x). This is a multiplier for the bandwidth allocation based on video bitrate. Eg if video bitrate is 50Mbps and multiplier is set to 4x, then Kodi allocates 200Mbps of bandwidth to fill the cache faster. Adaptive is recommended
  • Memory size - Set 64mb cache size (default is only 20mb). If unchanged from 20Mb, I found it gives the ‘low-speed connection’ warning when playing high-bitrate 4K. Set a bit higher to prevent warning. Potentially this could be as high as 25% of RAM, but generally doesn’t need to even on high-bitrate 4K

Settings->Services->Weather

• Service for weather information – Choose favorite
  • Settings – Set location (Current Location)

Settings->Interface->Skin->Configure Skin

• General - Show Restart Kodi option in exit menu. This allows quick reboots of Kodi without restarting the box entirely

• General - Show weather info in top bar

• Main Menu Items – Clean up unneeded tabs you will not use (Music, LiveTV, etc)

Settings->Interface->Regional

• Timezone country
  • Timezone

Settings->Interface->Screensaver

• Add asteroids screensaver from CE repo
  • Change screensaver to asteroids. It’s easier to tell if the TV hasn’t been turned off vs black

Settings->Interface->Startup

• Set startup window - I use Weather

Settings->Player->Videos

• Accelerate VC-1 - Exclude 24fps (small bug in amlogic hw acceleration. this should be done on software instead)
  • HW acceleration set to always for other codecs - Default does not accelerate mpeg-4

Settings->Player->Language

• Preferred subtitle language – user interface language

Settings->CoreElec->Services

• Enable Samba
  • Enable SSH

Settings->CoreElec->Services

• eMMC Speed Mode – HS200, HS400. Recommend using estuary skin for this step so keypad renders correctly. Enables blazing fast performance on emmc to take advantage of the faster controller on Ugoos

Optional, Autostart File

• Create ‘autostart.sh’ file in configfiles folder from network locations and place the following line in that file
  • Recommend set no colorimetry: echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_no_colorimetry
    If you prefer bt.2020: echo Y > /sys/module/hdmitx20/parameters/dovi_tv_led_bt2020

This makes no difference on my TV, but is only a matter of “correctness”. You can skip this step. The TV will default to CE default, Rec 709.

Optional, Remove ‘Restart to eMMC option…’ option from boot menu

• To prevent accidentally restarting into Android you will need to modify the available boot options to suppress that option from even showing. Navigate to the COREELEC folder via folder browser on your computer, then go to /Addons/[the skin folder you’re using]/xml/DialogButtonMenu.xml. Edit the file and set reboot to eMMC to ‘False’ or remove the option altogether.

Optional, Setup the default remote for IR

• Easiest method is to use CEC and the TV remote. If you really want the default remote to work, then visit the remote repo and grab the file for the included remote: remotes/AmRemote/Ugoos UR-01 at master · CoreELEC/remotes · GitHub. Grab the remote.conf file and move to the ConfigFiles folder over file explorer. Reboot. The default remote should be working now

Happy to learn from you all as well if you have tweaks to the above or other optimized settings

4 Likes

Do you mind linking to the wiki to SSH and ceemc so that I can redirect users to your guide from the main post?

Thank you for your wonderful guides!