HDMI connection lost with CE 9.0.0

@andrewilley In Settings/System/CoreELEC
There is a setting called Use 4:2:2 colour Subsampling turning this setting on might help resolve your 4k display problems. (Note: changes to this setting require a reboot.)

The setting makes CoreELEC try to use 4:2:2 colour Subsampling when setting a video mode instead of defaulting to 4:2:0 colour Subsampling or 4:4:4 colour Subsampling when possible.

Some LG TV’s seem to prefer this.

1 Like

I set it to 4:2:2 sampling and rebooted. Afterwards, I didn’t get any more momentary black glitching during 5 minutes of playing a 4K video (of course it could just have been the reboot itself that stopped the problem). UI is now set to 60Hz by the way.

dispinfo immediately after the reboot: http://ix.io/1Bph
dispinfo during playback of a 4K HDR file: http://ix.io/1Bpi
dispinfo after stopping playback and having returned to the UI: http://ix.io/1Bph

Andre

I can’t see any issues from dispinfo as cs/cd is switching as expected and everything should be fine. I can’t reproduce this either as I’ve tried numerous samples with different attributes for an hour and settings… We’ll look more into it as there is clearly something which is not working as expected since several of you are having problems.

One more thing @andrewilley, as you also have an Onkyo AVR, look at signal display with your AVR to see if you get 24 or 30 bit from the sample you used. I’ve a newer AVR and can’t use Chroma Subsampling 4:2:2 and 10bit so you probably should stay at default (4:2:0) if you see “24bit” signal with your AVR info.

It was fixed for me after enabling use 4:2:2 color subsampling leaving 3840X2160 resolution, my TV is Samsung

Great! I suspect the problems might be related to the HDMI cable as a lower bandwidth is required when using 4:2:2 over 4:4:4. Otherwise, it’s related to model as I’ve two Samsung TVs and none of them are having problems with 2160p playback…

If anyone of you are still using the HDMI cable that followed with your TV box you should swap it for a better cable. The cable could be a problem regarding playback of 2160p content and I’m speaking from experience

No, I don’t. If I use 1080p for Kodi GUI, after rebooting I don’t get a black screen when stopping the video. But then, the menus don’t fit on the TV screen.

@miguelgj: You have to setup your tv if menus don’t fit.

I can’t understand that. With CE 8.99.2 everything worked fine without change the TV setup.

Depending on the model there should be a 1:1 aspect ratio or just scan (or something similar) option in the TV menus. It needs to be enabled, then your Kodi GUI will fit perfectly.

@CI6N0Z, after I switched to 4:2:2 no. But now after rebooting i have this :confused:

and timezone isn’t correct.

This shouldn’t have anything to do with the chroma switch.

You don’t have to understand, just do it. :slight_smile:
Your tv has different setup for every hdmi input, and every resolution and refresh rate.
So you should setup your tv to the new GUI settings.

I use a good HDMI cable, this one,
Ultra HD High Speed UHD HDMI v2.0 Cable HDTV LED 3D 2160P 4K X2K HDR

I remember getting a similar black screen bug after enabling 4:4:4 chrome while using a former LibreElec build, I remember having to reverse it.

This is my TV model,
UN40MU6300

How can you tell it’s a good cable?
Good cables have a HDMI High Speed Premium certification.

Or at the very least good reviews from people using them with proper 4K HDR sources.

Guys, if you still get a black screen etc and you have not swapped the default HDMI cable that followed
with your box, turn on “Chroma Subsampling 4:2:2” in settings to forces all content to be played with that Chroma Subsampling.

From v. 8.99.2 to 9.0.0 all content which are < 30 fps are played with Chroma Subsampling 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 which was used for 8.99.2. This is most likely the issue you are facing if are using the cheap default HDMI cable

1 Like

Anyway I just bought this one,

Fiber Optic HDMI Cable 2.1 8K@120Hz HDR, ARC, HDCP2.2, 3D 48Gbps 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:2

Hehe, going a bit overboard there, but that is cool.

Hehe, yes but not too expensive in eBay, $13.24

Good luck with that.

Thank you, and Thank you for you the team for all the excellent job. I appreciate your dedication and effort.