HDMI connection lost with CE 9.0.0

That’s what I’m using, following a house-move and complete relaying of all cables in October (along with gigabit network switches/NAS and new Cat-6 cabling throughout; even though the media player itself is only 100M, it copes fine with even 4K files with zero buffering).

The minor glitching only started happening with CE 9.0.0 though, it was perfect in 8.99.2.

Andre

You’re right. I’ve set up my TV and CE 9.0.0 works perfectly. Something was changed from 8.99.2 to 9.0.0 and the TV behaviour has been different. But changing the TV setup, the system works.
Thank you very much.

Congratulations to all developers for this great software and your support.

SOLVED.

My Onkyo amp shows the frame rate for the Kodi menu as 1080p/60, and when playing a 4K HDR file (with the new 4:2:2 setting) as 2160p/23. The TV shows the same resolution info (although it’s info display does not show frame rates).

Andre

It seems that you don’t get true HDR as your AVR doesn’t support 4:2:2 10-bit signal. You can verify it by looking at the number of bits your AVR is showing. It should be 30-bit after the resolution info. So, you should use default settings and NOT enable the 4:2:2 toggle as you won’t get 10-bit signal which means HDR10 is not possible.

If you’re having problems with the default settings, I advice you to buy a better HDMI cable. If you have a good HDMI cable and your TV is having issues with default settings, one option is to connect the Kodi box directly to your TV and use CEC to handle the sound from Kodi -> TV -> AVR. You won’t get true audio quality as Dolby Atmos, DTS-X, DTS HD-MA etc. because of bandwidth limitations, yet you will get HDR. The other option is to trigger 12-bit signal for all 10-bit content which will use more bandwidth, but shouldn’t give any difference in quality as the signal is sent in a 12-bit container. The last option requires a great HDMI cable because of the high bandwidth, especially for 50-60 fps content.

Interesting. The amp does not show anything after the resolution info in any mode, just the pixel resolution and frame rate. However the TV does show and switch to its ‘HDR’ mode when I play 4K/HDR content via the media box. HDR content seems rather darker than I would expect (unless I turn the TV’s Dynamic Contrast mode on, which I’m somewhat loathe to do) but that could be TV settings, I was looking into that via another thread.

Andre

I too experienced the hdmi signal cutting out after updating to 9.0.
I only watch 1080p/i and under material on Sony Bravia tv’s. One is fine, one is not.
The dropouts are very frequent, about every other second.

Threw out the crappy cable that once came with some gadget and replaced it with a good quality one. Now it’s better with intermittant signal loss.

Set the ‘use 422 colour subsampling’ option and all is good.

I would definately say that’s the first things to check/try if experiencing signsl loss issues.

I think another thank you is in place. I really love the quality releases (even since the early alphas) and the video-speak enthousiasm is inspiring.

Regards,
A.

@andrewilley, my Samsung TV also shows the HDR logo if I toggle 4:2:2, yet the picture quality is NOT HDR at all and my receiver says the signal is 8-bit. So, my TV receives the HDR signal, yet the colour depth is 8-bit and therefore not true HDR. You can easily compare by taking some pictures while playing a sample from your Kodi box with 4:2:2 vs playing from your TV internal media player.

The problem is that Onkyo AVRs can’t handle 4:2:2 10-bit signal. I don’t know why, buy it doesn’t like it. However, if you can’t see a difference then this doesn’t matter and you can just carry on :slight_smile:

@CI6N0Z Thanks for the further info. Still working on why HDR content seems to be displaying poorly/darkly (although at least it’s no longer glitching when set to 4:2:2). Source material is 4K HDR 24Hz (well, 23.976) at 4:2:0.

As a test, can I force Kodi to output using 4:2:2 12-bit, or 4:4:4 10bit, both of which are listed as valid HDR modes for 24Hz signals?

Given that pretty much anything on any domestic media is going to be encoded in 4:2:0 anyway, it seem madness if the amp can’t do a direct pass-through of that in any normal frame rate (and the most common for films or US TV shows would be 24Hz).

Andre

If you don’t activate the toggle to force 4:2:2 Chroma Subsampling all samples which are < 30fps will play with 4:4:4 10-bit. So, do you see any glitching for 4K HDR 24fps content when using 4:4:4? If you only have problems with 4:2:0 > 30fps content and you don’t play 50/60 fps content often, leave it as it is.

Mecool KI Pro, 2GB Ram here.

Everything was working fine until yesterday when I connected it to another TV.
The new TV was bought in Staples and seems to be some kind of self brand, eSmart LED 32". The old one was a 5 years old 24" LED TV from another dubious brand, Kunft, from Worten.

With the new one, every time a change the channel (DVB-S2) I get a black screen for about 4/5 seconds, and a OSD message from the TV saying “HDMI1 1080p”. Using the old TV this doesn’t happen.

I wonder if it’s related to the thread problem?

Hello,
I have lost HDMI display picture after update to 9.0 on my projector. On previous verison I have no problem.
I tested the box on the TV and it work OK so I assume its problem tht my projector cant detect HDMI signal anymore, can you tell me how to switch to previous version “type” of signal?

Thank you.

Some TVs can take a very long time when switching source resolution and/or refresh rate.

@Jazzda, you can try nightly build and in Player settings change “Adjust display refresh rate” to “on start”
May be it can solve your TV issue

I only have the option “on start/stop” and “disable”, and It was already on start/stop.

I tried “disable” and… it was it. Now channels are changed instantly. Thank you.
I’m sure I’m loosing something but can’t notice any difference in the image.

It’s not a good idea to use disabled, now frame rate is not switching to correct one.
“On start” option is only available in Nightly builds:
Nightly builds
Or you can wait for next build.

Oh, ok, thanks.

That is only useful if you always view things that are sourced in the same resolution and frame rate as your GUI settings. But if you do, that should sort out your switching problem.

Andre

I think I understand that, thanks.
But shouldn’t the TV adapt itself automatically to the signal it receives?
I don’t see why so much complexity, but I know nothing about that stuff :blush:

Sorry to get back on this.
With “disabled” I can see everything just like when I had “on start/stop”, without any delay while changing channels or feeling any quality loss.
I even tried switching directly from a 76 western movie to a HD channel.
Is this related to something else, like controlling the TV with the box remote?

1 Like

Don’t worry about it. You are fine. That setting is useful for people who can see the problem when refresh rate does not match the content frame rate. You are not missing out on anything if picture is good for you.