Homatics Box R 4K Plus

Thank you @frodo19 for your response, I am going to try it out in the next few days.

Ok, I have ordered the fiirc USB device and should get it in a day or 2. The steps are as follows please correct me if I am missing something. I do have a few questions

frodo19 said in an earlier post.

You dont need other remote. Switch to atv, unpair your homatics remote, setup in pc to flirc, best to choose kodi. Then repair in BT mode in atv, plug the flirc reboot to coreelec. In fine tuning, you can remap in kodi with keymap editor.

Why should I unpair the remote in ATV before setting it up in my PC?
What do you mean by “best to choose Kodi” in PC?
What does repair in BT mode in the ATV supposed to do vis-a-vis remote + ATV

Thanks again!

You need unpair first in Atv, othewise you cannot set up the IR codes in the pc with flirc, while the remote stay in bluetooth mode.
In the pc in flirc program, you can choose lot of remote, like shield, or others. The best way, when you choose there kodi remote, and setup/teach your buttons.
Thats all.

Does audio passthrough and all its options in setup menu work properly in 09-07 nightly of CE 21?

Hi @vpeter I followed all the instructions there plus read further here: remote:rr_bluetooth [CoreELEC Wiki]

This is the input device for RC212:

I: Bus=0005 Vendor=1d5a Product=c099 Version=0003
N: Name="RC212 Consumer Control"
P: Phys=50:41:1c:4c:47:fd
S: Sysfs=/devices/virtual/misc/uhid/0005:1D5A:C099.0001/input/input7
U: Uniq=f4:22:7a:4a:4f:a5
H: Handlers=kbd event7
B: PROP=0
B: EV=1f
B: KEY=306ff 0 0 483ffff17aff32d bfd4444600000000 1 130ff38b17c000 677bfad9415fed 9ed68000004400 10000002
B: REL=1040
B: ABS=100000000
B: MSC=10

Ran evtest and captured 3 keys, including the “select” one below:

Event: time 1694178917.868304, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value c0041
Event: time 1694178917.868304, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 353 (KEY_SELECT), value 1
Event: time 1694178917.868304, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------
Event: time 1694178918.014526, type 4 (EV_MSC), code 4 (MSC_SCAN), value c0041
Event: time 1694178918.014526, type 1 (EV_KEY), code 353 (KEY_SELECT), value 0
Event: time 1694178918.014526, -------------- SYN_REPORT ------------

Created the file for mapping select to enter:

nkcore:~/.config/hwdb.d # pwd
/storage/.config/hwdb.d
nkcore:~/.config/hwdb.d # cat rc212.hwdb
evdev:input:b0005v1d5a*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0041=enter
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0040=o
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c01a2=tab

Ran the following commands with no errors:

udevadm hwdb --update
udevadm trigger -s input

Restarted the box, but the OK/enter button still doesn’t work unfortunately :frowning:

Any further suggestions? Nothing urgent as I can control it via CEC though.

If evtest doesn’t show you KEY_ENTER instead of KEY_SELECT then the rule was not picked up for some reason. Check the file if proper format is used (UNIX, use spaces).

Thanks @vpeter. I created the file with “vi” and I am pretty sure there is a space before each KEYBOARD_KEY but I will have a another look tonight. I will also try to reduce the file to only one entry, to see if I get a diverse outcome. Is there a command to validate the hwdb file? I have also enabled IR today (I didn’t test it yet), would that possibly conflict with the BT configuration? Thanks a lot for all the help :slight_smile:

I did quick test with different remote by copying /usr/lib/udev/hwdb.d/70-local-keyboard.hwdb to /storage/.config/hwdb.d/70-local-keyboard.hwdb and the difference was visible by evtest when I changed something.
Also check dmesg if there is any error. Or maybe in journalctl.

1 Like

Ah well, it’ definitely a RTFM error from my side. I re-read all the instructions and totally missed the following warning (while maybe the example provided shouldn’t contain just numbers, for clarity!):

The Bus, Vendor, Product and Version values are hexadecimal and require to be entered in uppercase (eq: b0005v2B54p1600*)

If it can benefit others, this works for remote RC212:

nkcore:~ # cat /storage/.config/hwdb.d/rc212.hwdb
evdev:input:b0005v1D5A*
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0041=enter
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c0040=o
 KEYBOARD_KEY_c01a2=tab
1 Like

Hello friend sorry for asking this questions but i have a NOKIA 8010 and never managed to put the original Remote to work with the method bellow. do You know of any way to do this?
I created the NOKIA table in Notepad++ as a .txt is that it ? and then put both files in the folders with Filezilla when i followed the steps with Putty it gives me message:
error: Unable to find keymap NOKIA in /etc/rc_keymaps or /usr/lib/udev//rc_keymaps

I’m a noob in Linux but I start to thing that I Didn’t create the NOKIA and rc_maps.cfg the way I should, is there any place where I can download those two files to be “error free”.
For this to work is it imperative that I unpair my NOKIA 8010 Remote from Bluetooth on ATV or CE ?

Thanks in advance my friend.

The method i used was this
Create a file with the content provided in my last comment and name it NOKIA.
Use Filezilla and copy this file in /storage/.config/rc_keymaps/ on the device.
Create a file named rc_maps.cfg with the following content:
meson-ir * NOKIA
Use Filezilla and copy this file in /storage/.config/ on the device.
Open SSH connexion to the device and:
systemctl stop kodi
systemctl stop eventlircd
ir-keytable -a /storage/.config/rc_maps.cfg -s rc0
systemctl start eventlircd
systemctl start kodi

I would say you created file NOKIA.txt and not NOKIA without extension?

1 Like

I just wanted to say I bought two of the Nokia boxes from Amazon Germany and had them shipped to the UK.

CoreELEC is absolutely fantastic on these boxes, it’s now great to benefit from DV and all the bells and whistles that go along with it.

Thanks for all the efforts that the CE devs have put in over the years.

1 Like

What is the firmware version that is needed for CoreElec v20.3? My box doesn’t find a new update when booted from NAND but v21 alpha 1 is the only CoreElec version that allows Dolby Vision.

The About menu shows 5.4.180-ab4674 as the kernel version. Dated March 14th, 2023. I have requested a beta version from Homatics but it might take a while to get it.

Why you requested beta? Beta versions can unstable. You can request stable v5310. CE nexus ne will working with that, or newest. 5310 kernel version 5.4.210.

To be exact, I requested the latest version but since there was nothing available to the box, I expected it to be a beta version that several people have mentioned in the Telegram group. But good to know that there should be a stable version as well, just strange that you need to ask for one.

Yes Friend You are right I created it with Notepad ++ .txt file Unix (LF) UTF 8 please help me how can I create that file without the extension. Please help Friend I’m really noob on this things, Linux and stuff and i would like to put my NOKIA 8010 remote to work on CoreELEC because i think its a nice remote well built and CE is awesome.
Thanks Friend

Hi, didn’t the codes shared by Vex here :Homatics Box R 4K Plus - #1077 by Vex work for you? I set up everything for IR but I didn’t test it yet. Did you manage to find a way to power on the box after power off? Thanks

Save the file as all types: How can you make All types (*.*) the default, when saving | Notepad++ Community
Standard notepad works the same.
You can also make windows show the extentions and you can then rename and remove it: https://www.autodesk.com/support/technical/article/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-enable-hidden-file-extensions-in-Windows.html

1 Like

Normally the ota updates automatically coming. But some reseller dont share that in time.

Thank You My Friend You are the best I thought there was something else to do because it wasn’t working but did as You said and had also to Unpair My Nokia 8010 remote from CoreELEC because it was also starting in Bluetooth mode. As I said I’m a NOOB in this things.
Just another doubt if I want to change two of the colored buttons to the letters “S” and “L” for example do You think it would work.
Thanks a Lot Friend

My AVR (or rather soundbar, Sony HT-A9) passthroughs the HDMI signal to the TV. Normally i would have an overlay on top of the content (press info button on soundbar remote) where I can see info about the audio stream being passed to the box as well as volume control info. This works in normal ATV operation. But on CoreElec the overlay doesn’t appear. I can see still see which audio (mostly TrueHD or DTS-HD) gets output through Kodi of course and if the soundbar puts out sound it obviously works but it would be nice for the soundbar overlay to work. Anyone got any idea why that wouldn’t work? Dolby Vision and HDR work as they should.