How to configure VFD

Did the display work in an older build of CoreELEC?

I lost the display after I updated the firmware, I hadn’t tested CorELEC before.

I didn’t even notice that this was a S905W device at first.
I think that without having the original DTB from the Android firmware where the display worked correctly, it would be hard to find a proper fix for this.
The conflicting pins are related to the audio device, and I don’t know whether I can change them without breaking something.
It seems you have some sort of one-off device, because I’ve never seen this sort of conflict before.

I made a backup of the original rom, but I can’t restore it, it crashes on the TX screen. I use original Tanix firmware, I just don’t have the display.

I can make the display work with the Selenga A3 firmware, but it is not functional for other things, would it be possible to collect the data and make a VFD to work at Tanix?

Yes, all I need is the DTB from it. I think on your device it should be doable from CE (after you install the A3 ROM)

Follows dtb of ROM A3. If possible you can for rom tx3? dtb.zip (97.9 KB)

Something doesn’t add up for me. Could you please make a picture of
cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio command with the A3 ROM, where the display is working?

This result that I have in A3.

The display works, but I don’t support controls. On the tanix rom I don’t have a display.

Yes, I understand.

The Tanix rom works perfectly, but I need help from the display only.

Remove the vfd.conf file and try this DTB, let me know if it works.
gxl_p281_1g.dtb (40.3 KB)

If it doesn’t, post dmesg after a clean boot again.

1 Like

I see that didn’t help.
Next step would be to install the Amlogic-ng nightly and use the vfd.conf file I provided earlier today.

The way DTBs are configured in CoreELEC will conflict with the pins your box uses for the vfd display.
From what I see, in the new kernel the setup is the same as in the Android DTB you provided, so it has much higher chance of actually working.

For those who might be interested I installed 9.2.4.1 NG using standard version gxl_p281_2g.dtb on local emmc in a A95X F1 2/16G and it works. I then used instructions to use the correct dbt given before by CETeam

with PUTTY

mount -o remount,rw /flash
cp /usr/share/bootloader/device_trees/gxl_p281_2g_a95xr2.dtb /flash/dtb.img
reboot

then to make the VDF working first with date I followed instructions provided before by CETeam

Goto Arthur’s VFD repository here https://github.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations.
Download the configuration that matches your device and rename it to vfd.conf.
Make sure that you save the file as Raw.
Copy the vfd.conf to /storage/.config on your device.
For the A95X F1 the file is a95x-r2-aml-vfd.conf

to have the icons shown

Install OpenVFD Service via the CoreELEC repository in Kodi.

Reboot, play with the options of the OpenVFD and enjoy the icons.

1 Like

Hello.A general question,if wrong thread,devs please move it.I have CE on my Vorke Z6 (Tanix TX92) and when i press power off inside CE,it seems to be powering off OK,but this logo saying “boot” doesn’t leave at all.Normally when i power off from the tv box’s stock OS,this screen is totally closed

.So i want to ask:Is really my tv box powered off,or i have to reboot from EMMC every time and power it off from there?

You need to configure the openvfd driver, as discussed in this thread, and the display will shut off when you shutdown CE.

Thanks,i found the file for my box and now not only screen turns off,but also it displays and time!!

You can install the OpenVFD addon to make the icons work, too.

1 Like

@TheCoolest, thanks for this addon, it’s really great.
one thing I noticed on my box, is the remaining time on playback doesn’t count the seconds properly.
the time between one second and another is not the same.
here’s to demonstrate what I mean: http://www.mediafire.com/file/bgdyyvfiiw2izop/file
you can see for example, that the time the display says “03:15” is almost half of the time the display says “03:16”, and the same for “03:12” and “03:13” and so on (it’s like that for every two passing seconds - one second is displayed longer than the next one).

the sync is kept throughout the video playback, but it’s strange seeing seconds pass inconsistently.
am I the only one seeing it? it’s a s905x2 4gb box.