How to configure VFD

CoreELEChk:~ # curl https://discourse.coreelec.org/uploads/short-url/tT8Rlfp3SF8d0mY1TjODECvGFTy.conf -o vfd.con
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  1189    0  1189    0     0    796      0 --:--:--  0:00:01 --:--:--   796
CoreELEChk:~ # diff vfd.conf .config/vfd.conf
CoreELEChk:~ # sha256sum vfd.conf .config/vfd.conf
02f15edcd889504ff2c0363c7bf6b4706a78fcfcaa4405323cafee9f93932c1f  vfd.conf
02f15edcd889504ff2c0363c7bf6b4706a78fcfcaa4405323cafee9f93932c1f  .config/vfd.conf

Redownload it from the PC.

[   22.993247@1]- OpenVFD: vfd_gpio_clk:		#0 = 0x00; #1 = 0x00; #2 = 0xFF; 
[   22.993884@1]- OpenVFD: vfd_gpio_dat:		#0 = 0x00; #1 = 0x00; #2 = 0xFF; 
[   22.994675@1]- OpenVFD: vfd_gpio_stb:		#0 = 0x00; #1 = 0x00; #2 = 0xFF; 

means you’re running the vfd file with the hw i2c config.

1 Like

Ok cool that could be the problem all along now I get the clock, plus ethernet and play/pause images. Thanks for your patience. I will try with stock for fun.

Edit stock without a change didn’t work.

1 Like

I pushed the vfd to the repository, so thanks for helping with getting this device added.
We’ll update the VFD wiki to reflect the required changes to the DTB.

1 Like

Hi The Coolest. Long time since we last spoke so hope you are keeping well. I have just recently brought a Tanix X4 S905X4 4GB box and installed the latest compatible CE 19.5 rc2 firmware. The no BT or WiFi problem I have responded to elsewhere with an SSH paste result. But turn to you here as I would like to get the front panel display working in CoreELEC. I’ve tried various VFD.CONF files all without success.

So can you refresh my memory as to what I need to do to get help with the production of a suitable vfd.conf file, or is there already a suitable one available that I have not yet found ?? Do I need to SSH into CoreELEC or do I need to use some command in horrid Android with the terminal emulator app. Please help as this box seems excellent except it has only a 100Mb Ethernet port not gigabit as I expected. I am using the generic sc2_s905x4_4g DTB for this device with a standard 100Mb LAN port. The 1G Lan port DTB just will not boot at all into CE and seems the box is definitely only with a 100MB LAN port.

Hi, I’m good, thanks.
We can start by running the following command in Terminal on Android:
cat /sys/kernel/debug/gpio
That’s the easiest way to check for the pins. Next option would be to extract the DTB from Android, that could potentially have this data as well.
You can follow this guide, in most cases it works:

1 Like

I have a Tanix X4 and it works with the HK1 driver but like everything else on this box the display is upside down.

The are (no graphics) and the temperature is quite different from what Kodi shows and it is furnace.

Please show a pic.

1 Like

I tried the HK1 both X4 and X3 vfd files and neither work I still get a permanent 8888 display. So cannot understand how you got an upside down display ??

Hi TheCoolest

I installed the Terminal Emulator and tried that command line with and without a space after cat but I only get an error with file not found ??

Seems without any WiFi or BT drivers available for the Tanix X4 this box is a waste of money but at least I usually only use Ethernet connection but this is only 100Mb not Gigabit :frowning:

If you try the hk1 vfd file, you also need to apply the DTB change required for that configuration to work.
Check the wiki.

1 Like

The dtb for the S905X4 is in the current nightly. I had boxed mine up to send back the junk but got it to take picture you asked for. I did get it working on the Tanix X4 using type 1 but there are no icons available on the display as indicated on the readme. The four digits are green not as shown on the display.

So the display itself doesn’t have any icons (physically), right? Only the 4 digits? And the only change you had to make in the vfd.config file is to change display type to 1?
When it’s in clock mode, is the colon between the 2 digits blinking?

1 Like

Right, right and right, and there is no colon at all, just the 4 digits that are green and much bigger then the HK1

Try
vfd_display_type='0x01,0x00,0x00,0x03'
And check the time. The colon should blink.

1 Like

The still displays the same with no colon.

Thank you so much emveepee and The Coolest. I am now using the latest 19.5 nightly build of 24th Aug and the new DTB which indeed has the working front panel display driver included. Now using the HK1 X4 vfd.conf and changing it to type 1 as suggested and illustrated by The Coolest it now all works. Sure no flashing or static colon but hey this is now good and a big improvement to this new box.

Now all we need is the WiFi and BT drivers of course.

Forgot this, also change vfd_chars to vfd_chars='2,4,3,2,1'.
The colon will appear only in time mode.

1 Like

Confirmed colon is working with that.

1 Like

btw, latest nightlies do not need the dtb hack anymore.

1 Like