How to configure VFD

I have a freind of mine’s MXQ G10SX box which is now running fine from a CoreELEC KODI 18 bootable SD card. BUT I cannot find a suitable VFD.CONF file in the list. I was a bit suprised as these MXQ boxes are very popular I understand. Have no problem with the display on my Tanix TX9 Pro box as that worked straight away with CoreELEC with a VFD.CONF file whcih I had used with LibreELEC 8.2.x.x.

The display is blank and the Open VFD service is running and enabled but clearly I need a vfd.conf file. So can you kindly advise me which vfd.conf file I need for this box as there are way too many to randomly test all of them.

I worked with you last year The Coolest to get my then new model TX9 Pro box display working with LibreELEC 8.2 and we of course succeeded thanks to your great help and some testing here too. I remember you corrected an upside down display with that box which otrherwise used the same display as the similar Zoork box.

If none of the vfd.conf files on the GitHub repo work, I’ll need to see the original Android DTB to try and extract the configuration data from it (it’s not always there, but most of the time it is).

Meant to say Vorke box not Zoork duh.

Jus tnoticed that the G9SX box has an identical lookign case and display so now trying to download that vfd file. But cannot download the actuial file only the text whcih I will copy and past to a new file called vfd.conf and try that, I am maybe missing something as surely I should be able to download the actual required vfd.conf file I need without copy and pasting the text to a newly made file here ???

Thanks mate for the very fast reply.

No still nothing trying the g9SX VFD.CONF file and yet the MXQ G9SX looks identical case and front panel to the MXQ G10SX ??? I thought I woulod get somethjing on the display. Could it be the wrong DTB file ?? Though I doubt that as everything else works fine on this G10SX box using a 2GB DTB file the same as I use on the Tanix TX7 and Beelink MXIII II boxes.

Similar looking boxes can be wired differently internally, or they can have a completely different display driver altogether. So an identical looking case/display doesn’t mean the vfd.conf for another model of tv box will work with yours.
I’ll need the Android DTB to figure out what the issue is.

Cracked it The Coolest :slight_smile:

As I had some suspicion with absolutely no display at all that it might not have the right driver though the box is a S905X 2GB so was using the same as the TX7 box the gxl_p212_2g.dtb file from the Corelec main Device Trees folder. However just relooked in there and lo and behold there is another file immediately after that one called gxl_p212_2g_g9sx.dtb As soon as I saw that I thought hey this is surely the problem as this DTB has likely different in that it has got the right display driver for this box and the G10SX too.

Sure enough now changed to that dtb file along with the g9sx vfd.conf file all now is working perfectly.

The display is not very bright even with Open VFD set at the highest level 7, but rebooting into the deault Android the display is exactly the same low brightness there too. So it is obviously an inferior display unit to that in used in the Tanix TX9 Pro / Vorke box though to its credit the characters are larger. The main thing is it now works correctly. So hope this can be useful for others with the MXQ G10SX box.

So the vfd.conf files directory should show the g9SX is also correct for the g10sx MXQ boxes too. Maybe that file can be amended to reflect this.

Thanks as always The Coolest for your help my friend.

1 Like

Thanks, I updated the vfd.conf repository.

it is wrong code
it’s better:
vfd_chars=‘4,0,1,2,3’

vfd_display_type=‘0x02,0x00,0x01,0x00’

Are you 100% sure? vfd_display_type=‘0x02,0x00,0x01,0x00’
Means a common anode display, with this set to 0x00 you would have a scrambled display.

yes, it showing correctly

Ok, I will fix it, thanks.

1 Like

Fix pushed to repo, thanks.

1 Like

Hi there!

I have a tanix tx3 max. Im using the tree from tanix tx3 mini. Theo box boots normally but the display says boot.
Ive followed the guid and cant make it work.
Here os the dmesg | paste:
http://ix.io/1X5w

Im using the latest version of coreelec with openvfd serviços. Theo vfd.conf is the tanix_tx3

You did not save the vfd.conf file correctly. The system can’t parse it.
Make sure you download it from
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/arthur-liberman/vfd-configurations/master/tanix-tx3-vfd.conf

hi there!

i’ve done that and the result is the same.
when i was using the libreelec i think that there was a modification on the dtb tree, but its too old to use with latest coreelec.
here is the new log and the dtb tree from the internal OS:

http://ix.io/1X9f

https://we.tl/t-GaV4zbEkVo

hope this helps

dtb isn’t the problem. just make sure that you are using the DTB from the device_trees folder in the root of your SD card.

hi there,

the dtb file is the file from the device tree folder. the catch is that my box, tanix tx3 max, dont have a specific dtb file, so i’m using the dtb for tanix tx3 mini. it boots without a problem, but the display is saying “boot”.

i think the dtb tree has something to do with it because with libreelec the GPIO of the dtb was modded for this box vfd display…

If there is no specific DTB, then use the generic one, or follow the download/installation instructions on the home page.

and that was what i did…
like i said, the box don’t have a specific DTB and now i’m using the tree for the tanix tx3 mini.
the tree for the tanix tx3 pro also works fine, but no display.
sorry for all the trouble. i’ll try later other trees.

device tree is not the problem.