How to run CoreElec on internal memory eMMC on NG boxes (S905X2, S922X) having full operating Android system too

http://ix.io/1ZJe

This is not yet possible.

This script is an example only. Here I write about the details. Use Google translate.

• login via SSH
  • reboot recovery
  • wipe data
  • run install script.
2 Likes

thank you very much

great news.
but

what happens as the android system stops working properly, now I’m connecting male to male and flash android image
can I do the same after partitioning the partition?
what happens as coreelec will not start after the update I had two such cases, I pull out the card, it installs again works, and how is it in the internal memory

The USB burning tool overwrites everything in the eMMC.
Android recovery -> wipe data will be deleted from CE rootfst.
Rename the kernel.img.bak file to kernel.img and run install_ng_ext4.sh.

1 Like

Hey Emerson,
which Android version is your X96 Max running?
I went through the install process without issues and everything was running fine. Today I updated Android via FOTA update to X96MAX_V311R_P_20190926-1519
and now coreelec starts in green. So everything has a very huge green tint. Network doesn’t really work anymore either.
I’ll try out your restore script now :slight_smile:
Are you running an older android on your X96 Max?

okay as network capabilities also broke in Coreelec, what’s the proper way to reset everything so I can start from scratch?

Version 20190926 has bad U-boot.
I have version X96Max_V311R_P_20190722-2021.
Usb Burning tool back flash this you can find this version.
Disable the OTA update by using this.

Thank you very much!

Hi, would not work on GT King running last nightly (25102019).
“No system files found! Exiting…”

… My bad, I forgot to copy the new img.

ME TOO…X96MAX_V311R_P_20190926-1519 is LAN can’t get IP

Only stable version supported.

Any idea where to put the Splash.png or oemsplash.png after applying your patch @Emerson?
When running from sd, this instructions work:
https://libreelec.wiki/how_to/change_bootscreen
But this doesn’t work anymore after the script has been applied.

This kernel does not support the oemsplash function.
Here is the modified version.
Insert the SD card into a USB card reader.
Copy the modified kernel and oemsplash.png to the card.
Delete kernel.img.
Rename oemsplash_ext4-ng-kernel.img to kernel.img.

could you sum up the modifications that were done to allow android ext4 fs to be made mountable ? or if you prefer, why the original kernel (from CoreELEC) would not allow to mount the eMMC on NG boxes ?

How to update stable version to nightly?

1 Like

"Hey Emerson,
which Android version is your X96 Max running?
I went through the install process without issues and everything was running fine. Today I updated Android via FOTA update to X96MAX_V311R_P_20190926-1519
and now coreelec starts in green. So everything has a very huge green tint. Network doesn’t really work anymore either.
I’ll try out your restore script now :slight_smile:
Are you running an older android on your X96 Max?

Is there a preferred version of USB Burning Tool to flash the rom? I went through a lot of setup on this box and just wondering if there is a backup up tool that will work to recover the Android setup?

Still looking for some help with this question. I have the green Coreelec problem. There are multiple versions of the USB Burning Tool on the web. So which version is recommended to reinstall the previous rom?
Version V311R
Thanks for the help.

I used v2.1.7.3 (latest) from here:

I primarly had to press “start” in the tool and then attach the device fyi.

1 Like