Install issues x96 max plus S905X3 4GB/64gb

I have 4gb/64gb version, x96 max + and it doesn’t boot up from usb or microsd card

It’s been a problem with the 4/64gb version as well.
Check your working 4/64gb Rom Version against this dated version

Not sure how to do that Kostaman. What is AIDA64, never heard of that ? So how do I get the ROM version as I do want to know the difference of course.

The failed to boot to CS boxes my friends have definitely say S905X3 processor as stated on the packaging box details and in the system info Android screen. Still waiting for a response from China re what changes they have made to UBoot

Seems that the user has already tried with 2GB dtb and apparently with older firmware it worked.
@Portisch do you know if the encrypted firmware is set at fuse level in the CPU, so it is not possible then lo load a plain Uboot+firmware?

From Android go to Settings / Device Preferences / About
You will see the details of your Rom Build

Well I found and installed from the Play Store AIDA64 and indeed it is an excellent small app.

From the results when I ran it just now it seems that the difference is in the Android details for my 64GB box that works fine with CE, You will see from the attached screen shot that my Android build ID is dated 20200818 and is version 2014 which is a later version than the 1719 20200620 dated one shown on rccardude’s screen shots from his AIDA64 report.

SInce I got my X96 Max+ box back on 23rd July 2020 it has though had an OTA update to the Android firmware so not sure what the original version was but anyway after the update a couple of weeks ago the box did need the toothpick routine to get it to boot again from the CE SD card but that was absolutely straight forward and no problems at all were experienced.

So it seems maybe it is a later version that works rather than as I suspected an earlier version. I will check with one of my two friends what Android build is installed in his box that refuses to boot into CE.

Here are my screen shots:

IMG_0363 IMG_0364-1 IMG_0365-1

I’ll try a ota update and also within the about, system, system update page.

How quick are the ota/system update notification as it took a long time and didn’t report anything back.

Not sure as my update happened from an onscreen notificatuion which I said yes to the update. Typical Android kludgy interface as I had to switch the remote to mouse mode to even be able to select the option to go ahead and update, grr Should use my wireless keyboard really but it is often not close to hand and I find it difficult to get up from my chair due to bloody old age and anyway the remote should work at least as well as it does in CE KODI IMHO!!! I really detest Android as find it not fit for purpose compared to the much superior CE KODI.

Anyway I got feedback from my friend who installed AIDA64 and can confirm he also has this rogue build ID version 1719 too and when he tries a manual Android update it just says his system is up to date !!! Go figure ???

So why can we not simply update these boxes with version 1719 to the latest version 2014 ???

Because there is no 2014 version on the server that your box connects to to check for updates…
The solution is to find this version for download and update manually.

And hopefully the hardware specs are the same.

Aida only reads the Build.prop file in the OS.

So there may be a chance the specs are spoofed.

My Chinese supplier and long time friend has told me the factory are unwilling to help at all as they say the box is supplied for Andorid and nothing else !! Typical. Anyway my supplier sent me an update image file download link at Mediafire dated a few days ago . But I need confirmation that this is correct for my box. It is called aml_upgrade_package.img but no mention of the X96 Max+ box or any box??? I have asked my supplier in China to try to get confirmation that this will update the firmware in the 4/32GB Max+ box. Of course I need the Amlogic Burn Card Maker tool for my more techy friend with the problem box to be able to use this image file without the way too complicaed for him USB burn tool and having to connect the box direct to his PC wiht a suitable male to male usb lead.

The best .zip file I can find for the easiest simple to use update is dated in March 2020 but is a later version number than the rogue 1719 as is version 1743. Strange as the offending 1719 version is dated 20th June 2020 ??? Weird. But will this 1743 work I wonder. Anyone got any experience of this version ?? This shold be simplest way as just place the unopened zip file on a USB stick or micro SD card and boot up with the toothpick activated reset button pressed.

Tried to do update but nothing popped up

If auto update does not work for you, update it manually…

Yeah went into ota update check for uodatr, and system, about, updates

Amlogic usb burn tool does not find box

I don’t have this box but there is an OTA update image from the Russian Guy.

Instructions to copy the Update image to the downloads directory internal memory.

X96Max_Plus2_20200901-1005_4GB_update.zip

Update Version 4/32 4/64

I’ve downloaded the three files, recovery, and main and update

Is there a guide, I don’t have home internet so getting info there is difficult, if I have the files and instructions ready be quicker and safer.

I have flashed other android devices, bit each one is different. I believe I would need to overwrite standard recovery with twrp. Then install first file. Reboot then install update. I know how to get to recovery. Is it simply boot into recovery then select one of the options to install recovery. Then reboot into recovery. The install first file. Reboot into android. Then do update file

If you are going to try the image i suggested then just use the
X96Max_Plus2_20200901-1005_4GB_update.zip

You have to copy it to the Downloads folder in Android using a decent file explorer.
I use CX File Explorer
After that you open the OTA App in your Android system
Top right corner you will see three dots …
Use the arrow cursor on remote to open the three dot and choose manual
It should open the downloads folder with the update zip you previously copied to here.
Navigate to it and click on it.
It should update

So with that ota update it’ll take my from 626 to 901? Isn’t he other file a full image?

Won’t I need twrp recovery? That gives more options like boot from microsd?