Install issues x96 max plus S905X3 4GB/64gb

I’ll try a ota update and also within the about, system, system update page.

How quick are the ota/system update notification as it took a long time and didn’t report anything back.

Not sure as my update happened from an onscreen notificatuion which I said yes to the update. Typical Android kludgy interface as I had to switch the remote to mouse mode to even be able to select the option to go ahead and update, grr Should use my wireless keyboard really but it is often not close to hand and I find it difficult to get up from my chair due to bloody old age and anyway the remote should work at least as well as it does in CE KODI IMHO!!! I really detest Android as find it not fit for purpose compared to the much superior CE KODI.

Anyway I got feedback from my friend who installed AIDA64 and can confirm he also has this rogue build ID version 1719 too and when he tries a manual Android update it just says his system is up to date !!! Go figure ???

So why can we not simply update these boxes with version 1719 to the latest version 2014 ???

Because there is no 2014 version on the server that your box connects to to check for updates…
The solution is to find this version for download and update manually.

And hopefully the hardware specs are the same.

Aida only reads the Build.prop file in the OS.

So there may be a chance the specs are spoofed.

My Chinese supplier and long time friend has told me the factory are unwilling to help at all as they say the box is supplied for Andorid and nothing else !! Typical. Anyway my supplier sent me an update image file download link at Mediafire dated a few days ago . But I need confirmation that this is correct for my box. It is called aml_upgrade_package.img but no mention of the X96 Max+ box or any box??? I have asked my supplier in China to try to get confirmation that this will update the firmware in the 4/32GB Max+ box. Of course I need the Amlogic Burn Card Maker tool for my more techy friend with the problem box to be able to use this image file without the way too complicaed for him USB burn tool and having to connect the box direct to his PC wiht a suitable male to male usb lead.

The best .zip file I can find for the easiest simple to use update is dated in March 2020 but is a later version number than the rogue 1719 as is version 1743. Strange as the offending 1719 version is dated 20th June 2020 ??? Weird. But will this 1743 work I wonder. Anyone got any experience of this version ?? This shold be simplest way as just place the unopened zip file on a USB stick or micro SD card and boot up with the toothpick activated reset button pressed.

Tried to do update but nothing popped up

If auto update does not work for you, update it manually…

Yeah went into ota update check for uodatr, and system, about, updates

Amlogic usb burn tool does not find box

I don’t have this box but there is an OTA update image from the Russian Guy.

Instructions to copy the Update image to the downloads directory internal memory.

X96Max_Plus2_20200901-1005_4GB_update.zip

Update Version 4/32 4/64

I’ve downloaded the three files, recovery, and main and update

Is there a guide, I don’t have home internet so getting info there is difficult, if I have the files and instructions ready be quicker and safer.

I have flashed other android devices, bit each one is different. I believe I would need to overwrite standard recovery with twrp. Then install first file. Reboot then install update. I know how to get to recovery. Is it simply boot into recovery then select one of the options to install recovery. Then reboot into recovery. The install first file. Reboot into android. Then do update file

If you are going to try the image i suggested then just use the
X96Max_Plus2_20200901-1005_4GB_update.zip

You have to copy it to the Downloads folder in Android using a decent file explorer.
I use CX File Explorer
After that you open the OTA App in your Android system
Top right corner you will see three dots …
Use the arrow cursor on remote to open the three dot and choose manual
It should open the downloads folder with the update zip you previously copied to here.
Navigate to it and click on it.
It should update

So with that ota update it’ll take my from 626 to 901? Isn’t he other file a full image?

Won’t I need twrp recovery? That gives more options like boot from microsd?

Well yes we have now updated my friends box to this latest Android build 20200901-1005_4GB with some difficulty as his box did not have the FOTO Update app installed on it so we had to use the Update app and select from the local sources wiht the zip file previously placced in the Downloads folder as per instructions.

Yes that worked and updated his Android to this latest 1005 version and then he had the FOTO Update app showing too. So clearly that 1719 must be quite an old build before the FOTO Update app was included in teh syystem apps. BUT BUT BUT still it will not boot into CoreELEC from the SD card and is the same symptoms as before and just sticks on the X96 logo screen. I tried this update on my own good box with the August 20200818 build version 2014 and that worked fine with my box now being in this latest 202009001 version and I was able to reset it to again boot off the SD card into CoreELEC and as before no problem.

So clearly this has not changed the uBoot code !! SO what now. Do we use the Amlogic Burn Card Maker with a suitable correct image file and reflash the box bia recovery mode?? That will surely then change the uBoot code to a workable one yes??? Anyone know where to get a known good Amlogic image file for this box for use with the Burn Card Maker utiltiy ??

I would have guessed that updating firmware wouldn’t fix the not booting from microsd as that is the bootloader.

To install new bootloader requires unlocked bootloader in the first place…afaik…

Updated bit now reports back 2gb ram?!

Still not installing corelac.

So now lost 2gb of ram. I used the 4gb filename file.

http://letmegooglethat.com/?q=x96+max+plus+firmware

I can find no image file newer than March 2020 and this may be too old and still have the clearly rogue uBoot bootloader. Thanks Kostaman but I had Google Searched for a suitable immage file too but not one that was recent and definitely for ths Max+ 4GB box…

I have an " aml_upgrade_package.img " file sent to me from my known reliable Chinese supplier (not the factory who will not help him) but still waiting for him to confirm it is definitley for this X95 Max+ 4GB box and what date/version it is as it is not shown. It is almost 1.5GB in size BTW.

Is there someone here clever enough who can maybe extract the correct image file from a working CE box and post it here so we can reflash the ROM on the bad boxes with a correct working bootloader. Can anyone also please confirm that using either the USB burning tool, or the Amlogic Burn Maker Tool to make a suitable SD card, with a correct image will in fact replace the rogue uBoot bootloader code to the same or similar as the X96 Max+ 4GB boxes that will work with CE ??

Sorry Portisch I was not ignoring you and thank you for your input. But I am afraid I do not have the neccessary equiment or at my old age still have the ability to do that and certainly my not local friend with the rogue box and only some limited tech skills will be unable to do this. Probbaly 95% of most users on here would not be able to do it either. Appreciate your advice though.

So all I want to do is burn a suitable compatible image so that the uBoot bootloader code is changed to a working version. I can always update the Andorid version later once I have a proper bootloader that will recognise my properly set up bootable CoreELEC SD card.