Install to Internal v2?

Here is a YES from my side also.

An extra 2gb is not a lot. I suspect most users are watching movies, so they will be using external storage.
So I don’t think it’s worth the effort, but then I find running from usb is fast enough.

It’s free and cleans up the partitions - why not?

Why not? It’s extra work for someone. But if they don’t mind, then thats ok.

The script would work the exact same way it does now where you enter installtointernal on the console and all the magic happens automatically with no extra headache for users.

The only downside would be that it wouldn’t work on older releases and only newer ones.

1 Like

I have no intention of ever using android on any of my devices, so this change is fine by me.

Yes here! I only install to EMMC on devices that I dedicate to LE/CE anyway.

The script would work the exact same way it does now where you enter installtointernal on the console and all the magic happens automatically with no extra headache for users.

The only downside would be that it wouldn’t work on older releases and only newer ones.

If there is no downside going forward then definitely yes from me.

Update: I finally finished implementing the idea, total usable space is now 13.4GB as opposed to 12.1GB on a 16GB device, this is only 600MB shy of using a 16GB USB flash drive/SD card.

It is possible to squeeze a little more out of the usable space by using the uboot logo + recovery partitions but it didn’t seem worth it.

Updating works fine and there is no regressions for people installed with the original method or on external media.

It’s not a great deal more space but there is more room for all your thumbnails and add-ons now I guess. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

i wonder if CE 8.90.4 will run on my vero 4K with installtointernal

If yes how to install CE on vero 4K with installtointernal

I guess it would be the same as any other Chinese device.

1 Like

+1 voting for such a approach, either SD way (dual boot) or clean install with only necessary files and partitions required to run CoreELEC

Hi AdamG

I’m a bit confused, has the new type of installtointernal (“ITI”) been implemented in 8.90.5? If yes how do I use it compared to the previous type of ITI? Does it have a new name like ITIv2? Or has it just replaced the previous ITI, so I just run it in the same way?

Thanks and very useful by the way!

Yeah, and how do we trigger the new command? Is it just “installtointernal” or installtointernalLVM?

No it was never merged, already too many posts about installtointernal that I didn’t want to complicate it even further.

1 Like

So is this something working nowadays? What is the current state of the installtointernal script?

v2 was dropped.
installtointernal is there, but it’s not supported by us.

@TheCoolest

If someone were to try installtointernal (fully aware that it is not supported by the CoreELEC team) and then wanted to try a different dtb.img, how to they change what dtb.img is being used by CoreELEC on boot?

Read this post:

1 Like