Interesting DV

Does it work in Android? My ah21x devices don’t in fact they even have working Dolby audio.

Its basically the same as profile 8.1

Its really good for lot of the boxes, whitch have no dv profile 7 support, under android . In this way you cannot see the black screen, or purple, green tint , the box play correct as dolby vision, and convert the profile 7 on the fly to P8.1, and not fallback to hdr . Plus there is the feature, in the Kodi you can choose, that the Dv, Hdr10 plus or hdr video want playing from the hybrid dv/HDR+ mkvs.
https://github.com/quietvoid/xbmc/releases/tag/v21-dovi

Thank you. So it is roughly in feature-parity with Nvidia Shield TV Pro (2019 model) with Kodi 21.x as far as DV HDR abilities.

…well, except that Shield cannot play HDR10+ or HLG HDR…

As I understand it Dolby require licensing for any device in the Dolby Vision chain - whether that’s the edit suite that content is created in, the encoder that creates the stream or file we watch, the player that decodes the Dolby Vision encoded content and the TV that displays it.

I’m imagining that SoC vendors have some licensing agreements with Dolby Labs that mean that their hardware Dolby Vision and OS driver/software that supports this hardware is governed by licensing?

I don’t know if this is marketing or not but on Dune-HD’s page https://www.dune-hd.com/products/homatics-box-r-4k-plushttps://www.dune-hd.com/products/homatics-box-r-4k-plus they wrote

S905X4-K media processor (special version with all licenses)

S905X4-K media processor is the most advanced version of the latest media processor from Amlogic which includes all possible technologies and licenses: Dolby Vision, Dolby Atmos, DTS.

I am pretty sure that quote is overstating things.

Yep, thats sei robotics product from brand homatics. Dune just sell, and give one media player app for that. The codecs hopefully will be available soon. Currently from the android, missing the dts-x, and the dolby vision profile 7. Others like HLG, av1 Truhd, Atmos, are supported.

And welcome to Homatics brand, as official supporter the CoreElec :grinning:

1 Like

Right,but Amlogic licensing might be on the “-K” variant. I noticed the Nokia 8010 SEI Robotoics also shows the -K

Now we just need to find out if the S905X4 really contains two video decoders.
We know that Profile 7 FEL decoding works on the S922X (Ugoos, Minix), the S905D3 (CCwGTV) and the S905Y2 (TiVo Stream 4K).

From the datasheet:
S922X: Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps
S905Y2: Support multi-video decoder up to 4Kx2K@60fps+1x1080P@60fps
S905D3: Support multi-video decoder up to 4x1080P@60fps
S905X4: Support multi-video decoder up to 4x1080P@60fps

In principle, it should only depend on the dovi.ko module and it looks like they have removed Profile 7 support in the new version.

@Portisch Is it possible to activate this second video decoder module under CoreELEC? Or is the DV stream fully handled by the dovi.ko module?

Yep, sei OEM manufacturer has Homatics box R 4k plus, Nokia 8010, and the Rocktek g2. All same hardware, licence and processor. And they share the same fw too.

This is what something different. Amlogic hardware is able to handle 8 decoder in parallel. Kodi can only handle one. DV decoder is something different.
DV decoder does exist since S912 what I see in source but was never be used.

So by the sounds of it no S905X4 device will be able to play DV content, unless they are the S905X4-K Variant?

Quite frustrating and confusing with all this licensing, you’d think it would just be enough that the actual TV would just have to have the sufficient licensing in place for DV, and that any device connected to the TV is just simply able to play content without any DV licensing woes - as long as the hardware is capable of course.

My Philips 55OLED807 has Android TV you see and the TV has Dolby Vision, therefore the latest nightly Android builds of Kodi or Kodinerds will playback DV, but then I lose out on TrueHD Audio via the built in Apps, and I just love CoreELEC as a dedicated playback device.

Another steps…

8 Likes

I have one on order, should be here soon. Great expectations.

2 Likes

So are we saying definitely no FEL processing and MEL converted to 8.1 on the fly?

If this is to be believed Dolby_Vision_stuff - Google Tabellen only the Minix NEO U22-XJ or Ugoos AM6B Plus with slimboxtv firmware & Kodi 21.x can play real DV HDR profile 7 (BL+FEL+RPU) files - but as you can see from the comments, it’s dicey at best.

Can someone share a link to the exact box being tested?

Homatics box R 4k plus

Thanks that’s what I thought.

AIUI Dolby really don’t want that to be the status quo.

Every device that touches Dolby Vision encoded content has to be Dolby licensed AIUI, particularly anything that encodes, decodes or displays it.

It’s one of the major reasons that Dolby Vision is nowhere to be seen in HDR live broadcast production, only in some cases the final encode for delivery to viewers. Most live production is in HLG and/or SLog 3 as a result.

1 Like