Khadas VIM3 testbuilds

You need to move it a bit, it should only cover half of one of the ram units, otherwise it does not make contact with the CPU since there is a component that is taller.

Does a heat transfer pad really only transfer heat in 1 direction? I wouldn’t have thought so…

1 Like

I don’t really get it - why everyone is using the whole thermal pad? Why not just cut it, so it would cover only SoC and RAM?

I don’t have the device yet, so I’m just wondering - would it be possible to use a proper thermal paste instead of that pad? Or the gap between the SoC and the heatsink is too big for that?

There is one resistor (I think) which is higher than soc. So there must be thermal pad used. Alternative would be piece of copper plate and use paste on both side.

The “1R0” resistor does seem to be higher than SoC. Can anyone confirm that?

1R0 is higher, approx. +0,3 mm, but finally I cut the thermal pad (after 1 month)

1 Like

According to tracking info I should hopefully be receiving my vim3 pro with case fan and heatsink tomorrow and I’m just trying to get everything ready so I can start using it right away but I have a couple of questions…

Firstly is the install to internal command “installtointernal” or “installtoemmc” ?

And if I install coreelec to the Emmc can I install android on the sd card incase I ever wish to use android for something?

And what is the recommended build atm the vim3?
Thanks!

1. The command is installtoemmc and it’s designed for SBCs only, the other command is not supported on 4.9 kernel based builds.
  2. As far as I know, Android can not be booted off a SD card, but I don’t have a VIM3.
  3. The latest nightly generic image.

Thanks @TheCoolest for the quick reply and for clearing that up!

Good try to make sure no crash with box.
As mentioned by Khadas stuff, the thermal design is more concentrate on CPU(A311D) but not ram or nand, the maxim contact area between CPU and heat-sink should be preferred as CPU is the main thermal source。So the side-align is not good enough, CPU should be central under thermal pad。

That‘s more like what Khadas showed me when i got conflict between heat-sink and box.

Your meanning is the tap only need to cover the cpu area?like this?

1 Like

Statup logo:

Khadas logo:

Standby:

Playing 4K HDR:

3 Likes

Hi, did not you put a fan ?

Khadas provide a standard size of thermal pad (good for all SBCs) and can only be placed without cutting as Khadas recommends, but I have not seen any difference in CPU temperature, the same in both cases. Average temperature is under 50°C on 1080p, 54-55°C on 4K, without fan, so I think it’s good.

in CE’s system info, it shows 65℃ of mine,no fan, and the room temp is about 30℃

Absolutely no fan, because the fan is not available right now at my location.

Max. temperature what I seen was around 55°C.