Khadas VIM3 testbuilds

Depending on ambient temp and box closed or not.
For me the air is 27℃, longtime 4K playing load the temp reaching 65C,
longtime off load after that slowly decrease to 58C.

For cold start up and a short time after that only 37C.

Mine is closed. After all, the thermal pad is in the right place. :slight_smile: I’ve been using it like this for a month.

Or the VIM3 Pro is cooler.

Good for you with fabulous box and nice temperature!
The box is really cute and make you take it every day.

Anyone can help with this:language and font thing:

Try choosing Arial fonts for the skin before changing language.

Has anybody in the UK who ordered the fan received it? I received my vim3 pro + case + heatsink today but the fan is missing so I don’t know wether it’s been missed out by mistake or wether it’s not available yet and will be sent at a later date

Is there a known issue with the VIM3 and 2160p GUI?

4K video playback is fine, even HDR but the GUI show major corruption when running at 2160p at any refresh rate. I know it’s not a HDMI cable issue or my TV because the VIM3 is a drop in replacement for an Odroid N2 that works fine with the GUI set to 2160p. Running the 20190816 nightly.

Yes, it’s a known issue and not only on VIM3.

That’s strange because I don’t have the issue on my N2.

I’ve also noticed that it seems to be linked to CPU load, If I set 2160p60 I get corruption all the time when navigating the GUI however if I set it to 2160p24 I can navigate around fine with no corruption, right until I start to load down the CPU and then the corruption returns. It’s very strange.

I’m not having any luck with my vim3, firstly it got delivered this morning with the fan missing and now I can’t get CE to boot :frowning: … I create sd card using the 16/08 nightly and then copy the vim3 dtb and rename to dtb.img and then I’ve tried using the keys method which just lands me on the android recovery and I’ve tried using terminal emulator to “reboot update” which again lands me on the android recovery. I’ve tried using a couple of different sd cards and a couple of different usb sticks and both USB ports
This is like the behaviour I experienced before when I’ve used the wrong dtb on my other boxes, does the vim3 pro (4gb) require a different dtb to the standard vim3? In the dtb folder of both the sd and usb that I’ve tried there’s always only one option for the vim3
Any help would be greatly appreciated

If you get recovery instead of CE then most probably the image haven’t written to the card correctly.
Have you used the -ng image?

This is the image I’ve been trying

Try to use -ng -Generic…

1 Like

Ok I’ll try it now

Generic one seems to be working!! Thanks! Now I have the question what’s the difference between the generic build and the vim build?
Also new boot screen looks awsome

Theoretically they are the same but VIM3 image just accidentally created it will be removed.

Ok thanks! I probably should have asked for help earlier I’ve been trying to get it to boot for ages now :sweat_smile:

Me again :sweat_smile: New issue now. 4K content plays in the top left corner of the screen

It possible you restored backup…
Remove overscan settings from guisettings.xml… Stop kodi before changing systemctl stop kodi remove overscan and start kodi again systemctl start kodi

1 Like