Khadas VIM4 A311D2

Upgraded GPU? It’s still Mali G52 I think, same as S922X. Really new is the 64bit RAM interface. So now more than 4GB RAM are possible. And for sure some other improvements…

Yep it’s a Mali G52, however the specs are different:-

S922X - G52 MP4 4EE’s
A311D - G52 MP4 4EE’s
S922XJ - G52 MP6 6EE’s
A311D2 - G52 MP8 8EE’s

A surprise announcement. The S908X is what AML fans are waiting for and with the Rockchip RK3588 getting a lot of attention, I would have thought that AMLogic would not want to be playing catch-up for long.

Perhaps an indication that S905X is not coming any time soon.

Khadas would need release a lite version to get any interest from me. My minix u22 has been serving me well.

That was supposed to release in 2020, It’s was announced then nothing else was heard of it :frowning:

Will Khadas VIM4 be supported by CoreELEC and when to expect it?

1 Like

It’s being worked on but no ETA.

2 Likes

Thank you. Awesome Team, as always!

1 Like

The technical specification states that the Linux kernel will be mainline. Isn’t that very good, if it’s true?

You have some history here:

Bottom line, mainline is not ready for use with CoreELEC and provide the quality we provide with other kernels. It’s expected that some of the devices will run 5.4 kernel but that has still to be completed.

Now on sale at Khadas, and in the Khadas forum thread for A311D2 i posted links to Youtube A311D2 reviews. Both Android and a Linux, now you can see actual use, speed etc. Hope it helps.

Not really mainline instead an older version of mainline kernel with custom drivers which might not be upstreamable.

Who is working on it?

If you need something to test the work then feel free to ping me. I have one but i can’t do much with it until there is mainline support or maybe coreelec team adds its support to ce.

1 Like

CoreELEC team?

3 Likes

Hi !
In order to exploit the new GPU, do you think it would be possible to add a 4k@120Hz display mode in the Kodi interface? (especially to reduce latency in menu navigation)

kernel only supports 1920x1080p120, so answer will be no.

1 Like

Dommage ! Nevertheless, for the rest, according to the first feedback from the GPU tests, it seems that this new chip is able to perfectly run the Kodi interface in 4k in a very fluid and stable way (60fps), even by increasing the definition of the covers. Which is great news! Finally HD covers!

VIM4 (A311D2) + CoreElec (CE20) :fire:

Still chasing wild dreams, mon Cher! :thought_balloon:

Great news.

I will be happy to help with testing on vim4 while i might get gt king2 soon.

Thanks.

1 Like

No one?

Let’s get CE on Gtking 2