Khadas VIM4 A311D2

Are you on a platform for collaborative funding? Otherwise, it may not be satisfactory, but I can lend you my Vim 4.

We have the VIMs, we need some extra equipment for development. Like 4K Vertex2 18Gbps | HDFury.com | Connect and Fix everything in HDMI
We are still debating the best way to achieve this.

3 Likes

Hi,
Regarding Dolby Vision, I did not follow. Is there anything new ; are there now solutions to decode DV ? Or still stuck with the licensing issue?

Itā€™s not only DV licensing, it will never be fully (all profiles) available on devices without proper L1 certificationā€¦

What would be very strong with the VIM4 would be for CoreElec to be available on OOWOW.

"Download online OS images / Backup and restore system "
A multifunction box and CoreElec/Kodi Box plug and play.

But I donā€™t know if a collaboration with Khadas is possible.

This is not maintain by CE, itā€™s done by Khadas I think. But I am sure it will not be available before any public CE release.

yes, I was also thinking about the future.

While waiting for CorElec, I discover a little about the capabilities of the VIM4. The system speed is exceptional for its size. And the really smooth and comfortable 4k display, compared to the Vim3. But above all, I just experimented with OOWOW to install a new OS (from Android 11 to Unbutu) without the need for a PC, or any other device. Itā€™s simply revolutionary as we save time! I imagine the future of CorElec if a Rom was offered on the server of the OOWOW system, this VIM4 could become the ambassador of CorElec. Such a proposal should motivate Khadas to work with you. In summary, this Vim4 is the perfect device for a multifunction box, multimedia and retro games.

Khadas need to collaborate with us if that is something they want.
Currently we will use the traditional way to get CE on your device.
Regarding Dolby Vision: The SoC is not DV enabled (licensed) so it will never work unless somebody hacks their firmware but even then we would not support it for legal reasons.
So far I had DV only working on the Minix as a proof of concept and they have the SoC licensed for DV.
It just requires a 4.9 32bit kernel because the proprietary closed source dovi.ko module is for 32bit only, CE uses a 64bit kernel and it would be to much work and also time invested into an obsolete kernel. So far we havenā€™t seen any new android boxes with licensed DV SoC but we saw hints that the 5.4 kernel with dovi.ko might be 64bit. So it might be possible that you will be able to buy (probably expensive) android box with a DV enabled SoC that will work with CE. But itā€™s hypothetical and wishful thinking currently.

3 Likes

I submitted the idea on the official forum :

When building CoreELEC for VIM4, please configure it for SD card instead for eMMC.
Thankā€™s!

no problem if somebody can make CE image which will be simple dd suitable image (for both sd / emmc its can be same image ), and just provide link and we can add to compitable list images for OOWOW, after what user can install CE outofbox just for few minutes without any tricks and headache

wellcome

PS: if CE team need any help from me and khadas team wellcome!

2 Likes

Khadas need to collaborate with us if that is something they want.
Currently we will use the traditional way to get CE on your device.

Hi @Ray, I believe it is done. :slight_smile:
I look forward to seeing the fruits of your collaboration with @hyp-hop and his team.
I think it should be interesting, for both team, and above all, the users.

Good Day,

So I am thinking to get one of these to replace my N2+. Should i do this now or wait.

Also what other new boards should i look at if this one is not in scope yet.

Thanks

1 Like

May want to wait just a bit longer.

1 Like

Ok cool thanks as i see Beta is ongoing and it looks promising. I might get it to just even test it out in general. But thanks

Things are progressing, we canā€™t define a timetable just yet but Iā€™ve been using the vim4 the last few days with CoreELEC and itā€™s going well. Just expect a slowing down in the next two months, as usually, July and August are slow months.

3 Likes

Thanks alot all good and appreciate all the effort for all teams on this to keep the community up and running on new hardware.

1 Like

While we are aware and understand users are anxious to try out CoreELEC on new SBCā€™s and SoCā€™s, please be aware that CoreELEC development for VIM4 is currently in internal beta testing stage.

At this time, there is no ETA as to when a public beta version will be available.

Those interested in following the development status can do so here.

1 Like

I would wait ,theve not been working that long on the fw so it will be full of bugs,the corelecc team are quick with updates but not this quick

1 Like

Progress? ETA? Something?

1 Like